Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Gaian Art Mentors
Pixel Art - Any good programs? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

AceCordellis

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:10 pm
Hallo all fellow artists! mrgreen

See, nowadays I've been interested in pixel art. Say, Super-nintendo style pixel art. Sprite-making, so on and so forth. I know I -could- use paint to make sprites and all, but it seems just a tad... Horrid.

SO! Anyone out there know any good programs or places where I could get a good kit for making pixel art and sprites? Any suggestions would be awesome. Thanks!  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:09 am
MSpaint isn't bad XD... Though you can just use the pencil tool in photoshop too :3~~ That way you can adjust the colors later or whatever~~~

Just my two cents x)

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

Arachnist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:55 am
MSPaint is actually a pretty excellent program for pixel art, especially if you know how to use it. Here's a tutorial that really helps with MSPaint: [here]

This tutorial will help you too.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:07 am
Good luck with that! biggrin I'd offer more help, sweatdrop But I'm not knowledgeable in this section of animation!  

Uso!

konigiri

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:18 am

Graphicsgale is an awesome program for sprite making, I think it's worthwhile to check it out. It also allows you to animate, so you might want to look into that if you're making game-like sprites.

I haven't figured the program out completely yet, because I can't seem to be able to set the background to just transparent.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:01 pm
I've been messing with Paint.Net, sort of an add on to MSNPaint... More for photo editing, but there are lot of Plug-In writers offering free plug-ins.

SerifDrawPlus 4 is a free vector program I'm also looking at. I have the download links, but need to go back to the last few posts I made.  

IceTrek

strawberryfizz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:39 am
I doll and I use paint for that. Dolling is pixel art =D

Honestly for just starting out use paint, it might seem a bit horrid at first, and it is, but its good for pixel art, and you can do some awesome stuff in it with practice. You really don't need any fancy program for sprites, pain will do the trick =D  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:49 pm
MS Paint is very good, though some areas do lack and recoloring is effing tedious. D:

I haven't personally tried it yet, but GIMP seems good for a free pixeling program. http://www.nonpronoia.net/desdemona/tuts/basicdoll1.htm is the tutorial that recommends it and it seems helpful enough. C:

For first timers, though, Paint should suffice for beginning experimentation and learning. (You get all the basic skills there anyways.)  

KotokoPlum

Irot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:03 pm
Adobe Photoshop is good for layers if you wanted to have the colors on different ones. I know I used to use Photoshop ImageReady to animate pixels, however I prefer first drawing them on MSPaint, than animating them on ImageReady (if you wanted to).

I prefer MSPaint. ^_^  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:15 pm
Definitely Graphics Gale is the best for the style of pixel art you're interested in. If not that, Paint Shop Pro is another simple program for it that has more options than MS Paint does.  

Sculpture

loontje

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:36 am
photoshop always worked for me wink  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:30 pm
I use Fedora, and I actually prefer a program called KIconEdit over the GIMP for pixel art. It allows you to have gridlines or remove them, and it's just generally a neat program to work with. I'm not sure if it's available for anything other than linux.  

Griffonage

The Homeless Tomato rolled 20 100-sided dice: 66, 74, 94, 55, 92, 23, 79, 36, 46, 88, 80, 90, 4, 32, 90, 72, 98, 68, 41, 61 Total: 1289 (20-2000)

The Homeless Tomato

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:13 am
paint.net is really easy to use just a little confusing at first  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:00 pm
I hear you can also make pixel art using photoshop ...but I'm not much of a pixel artist :/ back in my day I just used MS paint for that stuff, though. good luck!  

Deitsae

Holographic_Mind

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:45 pm
My friend made his pixels with Flash, too bad he went to Brazil on his mission. Anyways here is some of his games that he made....
http://www.yoyogames.com/games/show/15014

http://www.yoyogames.com/games/show/15018  
Gaian Art Mentors

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas