Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Problems with a Christian friend...needing some advice... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Estrella Eterna

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:20 pm
My friend, Sarah, is worried that I'm going to hell.

She thinks I'm lost. She thinks that there is one truth, and it is her truth, and that I haven't found it. She's praying for me.

We've gotten in a few arguments/discussions recently. I tell her I have no problem what she believes in, and that I'm happy she's found something that makes her happy. She keeps telling me that God will make me happy too if I let him in my heart, but she doesn't understand that I already feel happy and peaceful with my gods. I tell her how passionate I am about life and how much I love the world, that I have morals that I follow, and that I want to try to make the world a better place. But if I don't accept Jesus I'm going to hell, she says.

She goes to a youth group that tells her these things. I think that they're brainwashing her. I've even heard from other friends (Christian and non Christian) that the group is a little weird. She begged me today to go sometime. I used to want to kind of go, mostly out of curiosity and I like to hear other peoples beliefs. But now with what she's told me and the way she feels I don't want to go anymore.

She thinks I'm bizarre in what I believe. She asks me questions that, when I try to answer, she gives me weird looks. Especially when I try to explain energy and reincarnation and how I feel about it. And that I'm an animist. She looks at me like I'm ******** nuts. Then goes on to tell me that my beliefs are too complicated, make no sense, and that my questions are complicated.

During the end of our conversation today, she told me that I seem unsure. And maybe I am a little unsure. I'm still trying to figure it out. There's a lot of things that I feel that I'm still trying to organize and put into words. I told her that I don't have a book or a group of people telling me what to believe. I admitted that I'm still learning, and that I can see she's not sure about everything either.

I can talk as much as I want, but I don't have enough knowledge to really argue much on it well. Historically wise, anyway. You could say that it's pointless to argue, but if it comes up, I'm too tempted to avoid it. Especially when it comes to people who are like her.

I don't know what to do. I don't care if she's Christian, I just don't want her living her life thinking that I and billions of other people are going to hell. Is there anything I can do? Should I even be her friend? Or should I just give up?...I don't know...  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:29 pm
Quote Mathew 7:15-23 to her, then explain that Regardless of conflicting beliefs, what is Important (as according to Her Lord) is to love, and to spread love.

Causing strife by challenging your beliefs is contrary to HER religion.

either that or have the Agree to disagree accord.  

Rookherst[KOS]

Estrella Eterna

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:30 pm
9 "Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but underneath are ravenous wolves.
By their fruits you will know them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles?
Just so, every good tree bears good fruit, and a rotten tree bears bad fruit.
A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a rotten tree bear good fruit.
Every tree that does not bear good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire.
So by their fruits you will know them.
"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, 10 but only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven.
Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name? Did we not drive out demons in your name? Did we not do mighty deeds in your name?'
Then I will declare to them solemnly, 'I never knew you. 11 Depart from me, you evildoers.'

And what does that mean, exactly?

I have a really vague idea.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:51 pm
Estrella Eterna

And what does that mean, exactly?
I have a really vague idea.

As with any Bible Verse it's highly Interpretable.

But the basics is: "Are you a Bad Person? No? So long as you adhere to the will of the Father [christian god, YVHV] * your fine. Just because you say "Lord lord" doesn't mean you get into heaven."

*I.e: Love  

Rookherst[KOS]

Estrella Eterna

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:00 am
I figured it was something like that. But does the bible also have quotes that say if you don't accept Jesus and God, you're going to hell? Or any passages that could be interpreted as such? She says there is, right there in the bible.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:07 am
Estrella Eterna
I figured it was something like that. But does the bible also have quotes that say if you don't accept Jesus and God, you're going to hell? Or any passages that could be interpreted as such? She says there is, right there in the bible.

usually Verses which are taken of context. Jesus is depicted at times as having a "If your not with me, your against me" kinda mentality.

Being the Little Gnostic Syncretist that I am...it comes down to defining what "being with him" is. Clearly we see that the above passage helps in that...
Only those who bear Good fruit (does the will of my Father in heaven)...and this comes to again another set of defining...What is the Will of the Father in heaven.

A very well known Occultist said it best I think. "Love is the law, love under will."

Course, I doubt she will buy any of that.....

You could go the rout of informing her that "Praying for you not to go to Hell" is the same as Condemning you, and Jesus Explicitly forbade that.  

Rookherst[KOS]

Estrella Eterna

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:11 am
Okay. Thanks.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:13 am
Estrella Eterna
She looks at me like I'm ******** nuts. Then goes on to tell me that my beliefs are too complicated, make no sense, and that my questions are complicated.

I know how that feels. My best friend is a Christian (very Christian) and I've tried to explain my beliefs to her. She just tells me that I only think I believe in the Kemetic gods, to her I'm just misguided. I even went to church with her last week, it was her attempt to save me. At the end of the day I always tell her that she has her beliefs and I have mine, there's no need to fight or argue about it. Luckily for me, we've been friends for about 7 or 8 years and we love each other too much to stop being friends just because of religion.  

Vertigo_Kiwi

Tipsy Wench

Estrella Eterna

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:45 pm
Yeah. We're still arguing about it. I know it sounds silly but I'm too tenacious and stubborn to give up. It's over email though. Who knows what will happen. I'll probably let go of it after a while. We don't really connect anyway, as friends very well. We're not on the same level.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:01 am
Rookherst[KOS]
You could go the rout of informing her that "Praying for you not to go to Hell" is the same as Condemning you, and Jesus Explicitly forbade that.

Where exactly does he say this? Granted, I havent read the bible much (mostly just when I see verses brought up in discussion), but I dont recall this verse at all.  

PhantomPhoenix0

Rookherst[KOS]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:50 am
PhantomPhoenix0
Rookherst[KOS]

Where exactly does he say this? Granted, I havent read the bible much (mostly just when I see verses brought up in discussion), but I dont recall this verse at all.

Matthew 7:1-2
Luke 6:37
(both sharing the tone of "Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven.")
and frighteningly more specific Verse from the Gnostic sayings Gospel of Thomas.

Quote:
14. Jesus said to them, "If you fast, you will bring sin upon yourselves, and if you pray, you will be condemned, and if you give to charity, you will harm your spirits.
When you go into any region and walk about in the countryside, when people take you in, eat what they serve you and heal the sick among them.
After all, what goes into your mouth will not defile you; rather, it's what comes out of your mouth that will defile you."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:52 am
Rookherst[KOS]
A very well known Occultist said it best I think. "Love is the law, love under will."
Heh, I can't help but snicker when I hear this and think of the Defilement in the Book of the Law.

That said- and without getting into an argument as to how Christendom is actually a monolateralistic faith, I'd use 1Ti 4:10, unless she considers you to be subhuman for not being Christian, and then we get into a whole new application of the Law of Agape.  

TeaDidikai

Vertigo_Kiwi

Tipsy Wench

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:33 pm
Estrella Eterna
Yeah. We're still arguing about it. I know it sounds silly but I'm too tenacious and stubborn to give up. It's over email though. Who knows what will happen. I'll probably let go of it after a while. We don't really connect anyway, as friends very well. We're not on the same level.

Maybe instead of arguing you should both just agree to disagree? I remember the days when I fought with my (who I thought were) friends over religion, and it usually didn't prove anything. I mean, if you don't really connect with your friend then there's no use in putting energy into it.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:45 pm
TeaDidikai
Rookherst[KOS]
Heh, I can't help but snicker when I hear this and think of the Defilement in the Book of the Law.

That said- and without getting into an argument as to how Christendom is actually a monolateralistic faith, I'd use 1Ti 4:10, unless she considers you to be subhuman for not being Christian, and then we get into a whole new application of the Law of Agape.

Is that the verse about how "there are other sheep, some that are not of my flock" and so on?

For me, with people like this it's easier just to let them assume that I agree with them, or to avoid talking religion (and politics).  

Annalixa

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:57 am
Annalixa
TeaDidikai
Rookherst[KOS]

Is that the verse about how "there are other sheep, some that are not of my flock" and so on?

For me, with people like this it's easier just to let them assume that I agree with them, or to avoid talking religion (and politics).
No. It states that the Lord is the savior of every man.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff