Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Christendom within Paganism Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:57 pm
The Loa, Softpolytheists, to a certain extent, many of the Slavic traditions, a fair portion of generic-neopagan and Wiccan practices and even some of my own traditions have a hint of Christendom within it.

While I have had a good deal of fun showing that magic is not condemned by Scripture, I am curious- how folks actually feel about blending Non-YHVH based systems and matters of faith with YHVH based theology.

Should people keep YHVH's peanutbutter out of Paganism's Chocolate?

What Christian Practices (or Pagan Practices for the Christians in the guild) do you hold? Do you enjoy them? Do you feel a little guilty?

Have at it!  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:09 pm
I don't think I could say how much I do is because of a Christian environment. I'm not a former Christian, really, but I was sent to Sunday school when I was younger. My "Christian" stepfather is in truth a pretty hardcore animist, and probably believes in more supernatural/mystic occurrences than I ever have, and he's really the most overtly Christian of my four parents. It's been kind of a mishmash for me, and I no longer know for sure if it's the Christian ideas that dictate some things I practice or not. I can say that because of these people, I really don't mind the mixing. I'm all for Pagan/Christian Reese's. Mmm, candy. Man, I'm hungry. Er.

I can say the most noticeable for me is that I've grown up singing folk music, and some of my favorite spiritual songs, some that have touched me the deepest, are 100% Christian. I don't really try to overthink it. The songs I like (shape-notes and gospel for the win) are flat out good songs, and though their content isn't exactly my theology, a lot of the time, the message is fantastic anyway.  

TatteredAngel

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:24 pm
Hey Tattered? Have you ever thought about using some of the Christian traditions in your practice directly?  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:42 pm
Being a Gnostic who bases his Practice's a doctrine of syncreticism; I'm not sure in which direction to answer this?

Am I a Christian with Pagan Philosophies? Or am I a Pagan with an Esoteric Christian Cosmology?  

Rookherst[KOS]

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:48 am
Rookherst[KOS]
Being a Gnostic who bases his Practice's a doctrine of syncreticism; I'm not sure in which direction to answer this?

Am I a Christian with Pagan Philosophies? Or am I a Pagan with an Esoteric Christian Cosmology?
Good question.

Which do you consider yourself?

Sometime, I am really going to have to make a thread of what my view on Christendom would look like if I was a Christian.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:35 am
In this same theme- what are people's opinions on the Loa as tied to Saints?  

TeaDidikai

TatteredAngel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:21 am
TeaDidikai
Hey Tattered? Have you ever thought about using some of the Christian traditions in your practice directly?
I'd say yes and no. I wouldn't be averse to the idea necessarily, but I'm really not sure what I'd use. ((Did try something akin to Pentecostal glossolalia once, but I just ended up feeling silly. Didn't do it for me.))

TeaDidikai
Fascinating. I always really liked the idea. Not something I've really studied, though, so I can't say a whole lot on it.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:21 am
TeaDidikai
Didn't that come about as West African religions blended with Catholism? I know alot of people who practice Vodun in the Carribian also consiter themselves Catholics.  

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:26 am
Very simple.
My religion holds that Jeushua called Christ had nothing to do with YHVH, other than being in his Synagogues, eating his banking.

Okay, poor joke aside, we don't believe a connection between Yeushua and the God of Abraham other than familial, regional, and culturally. I could go into my long blast about how Christianity doesn't fit with Abrahamic faith, and how it is more propperly a Mehr inheritor, however, that is a long and done to death arguement, and I don't have the time to post it right now.

Put simply, for us, Yeushua wasn't the son of Shem, he was the incarnation of Anhur.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:18 pm
Fiddlers Green
I could go into my long blast about how Christianity doesn't fit with Abrahamic faith, and how it is more propperly a Mehr inheritor, however, that is a long and done to death arguement, and I don't have the time to post it right now.
But it is one of my favorites.

Someday when you have the time, I would love to see it again.

Dragon_Witch_Woman
TeaDidikai
Didn't that come about as West African religions blended with Catholism? I know alot of people who practice Vodun in the Carribian also consiter themselves Catholics.
Indeed.  

TeaDidikai

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:08 pm
TeaDidikai

Dragon_Witch_Woman
TeaDidikai
Indeed.

Vodun is intresting, you have to study it by area. Does anyone kno which saints are connected with Damballah and his wife Aida-Wedo? We accually named out Ball Pythons after them.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:42 pm
I love hymns, shape-note, gospel songs learned by ear, and musical Latin Masses. I love beautiful old churches. I'm also really attracted to the idea of prayer beads and the Rosary; only problem is Hail Marys and Our Fathers give me no spiritual satisfaction.

I was never Christian, since I grew up UU, but for all UU hails wisdom from diverse sources, the churches I've been in seemed to borrow most of their spiritual fodder from the Bible and Christianity. At least, when I went to the main services--the Youth Groups were youth-run and the Religious Education classes had good variety--since I clearly remember Christmas and Easter services, and plenty of quotes and nods but no or few services dedicated or directly related to other religions.

I mean, I'm sure Jewish practices mean jack when taken out of the context of that covenant, for example. But therefore, I feel like UU shouldn't bill itself the way it does...? Or something. I don't know, I'm not explaining this well. I haven't been to church in a long time.  

TheDisreputableDog

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:53 am
Dragon_Witch_Woman
TeaDidikai

Dragon_Witch_Woman
TeaDidikai
Indeed.

Vodun is intresting, you have to study it by area. Does anyone kno which saints are connected with Damballah and his wife Aida-Wedo? We accually named out Ball Pythons after them.
Dan is tied with Moses and/or St. Patrick. Ayida-Weddo is harder to come by.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:58 am
TheDisreputableDog

I mean, I'm sure Jewish practices mean jack when taken out of the context of that covenant, for example. But therefore, I feel like UU shouldn't bill itself the way it does...? Or something. I don't know, I'm not explaining this well. I haven't been to church in a long time.
I wouldn't say that. This makes perfect sense.  

TeaDidikai

Rookherst[KOS]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:58 pm
TeaDidikai

Which do you consider yourself?

To be honest, Neither. Forget Abraham, and Forget the Archonic Nature Deities....

Like many, I consider myself Unique. I am Christian only in that Jesus is Part (and at times Central) to my cosmology. I am Pagan, in that I do not revere, worship, or make any dealings with the God of Abraham.
Quote:

Sometime, I am really going to have to make a thread of what my view on Christendom would look like if I was a Christian.

I'm considering compiling my writings and making a Pathway Thread "Rookien Gnosticism; A Modern Ancient tradition"  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff