• Gender Swap 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:25 pm

Great Artist...who agrees with me?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:41 am

Personally, I don't.

In my opinion-

He started his career by ruining Malice Mizer, and went on to become one of 10,000 ultra-generic j-pop artists.

GilAskan
Crew

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:06 am

He is fairly lame, seriously, if you want good music from japan, try DJ Mitsu, Berrie and Mad Capsule Markets.

All the visual kei and j-pop stuff are what people in this guild would normally spit on.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:44 pm

Rellik San
All the visual kei and j-pop stuff are what people in this guild would normally spit on.

Well, to some point.

There is good music in every scene and genre, and the same holds true of these. However, both in question are extreme examples of fad-based music movements. While there are good artists in either, there's an unusually large number of copycat acts and image-driven artists.

GilAskan
Crew

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:51 am

GilAskan
Rellik San

Well, to some point.

There is good music in every scene and genre, and the same holds true of these. However, both in question are extreme examples of fad-based music movements. While there are good artists in either, there's an unusually large number of copycat acts and image-driven artists.

It just strikes me, the hypocrisy of many j-pop fans, saying they like Utada Hikaru, but hate Madona when aside from one being American and one being Japanese who spent her childhood in America, they are both the same type of music. That was the main thing behind my comment. I have had conversations with people that have consisted of slagging off an American/English artist, then the other person starts praising their Japanese equivalent.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:01 am

Rellik San
GilAskan
Rellik San

Well, to some point.

It just strikes me, the hypocrisy of many j-pop fans, saying they like Utada Hikaru, but hate Madona when aside from one being American and one being Japanese who spent her childhood in America, they are both the same type of music. That was the main thing behind my comment. I have had conversations with people that have consisted of slagging off an American/English artist, then the other person starts praising their Japanese equivalent.

Indeed.

Commonly, I've seen it with visual-kei fans who criticize post-hardcore groups (Hawthorne Heights, Panic! at the Disco, etc.) for being so image based, yet they themselves are fans of a music movement whose name literally means "visual style".

GilAskan
Crew

Nero PsyKoTiX

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:53 pm

Eh. He's got some good songs.
"Last Song", "Metamorphoze", "Love Letter", "Orenji no Taiyou"(it stuck to me after watching Moon Child a few times), and "Another world" to name a few.
Though for the most part, not so great.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:01 pm

GilAskan
Rellik San
GilAskan
Rellik San

Well, to some point.

Indeed.

Commonly, I've seen it with visual-kei fans who criticize post-hardcore groups (Hawthorne Heights, Panic! at the Disco, etc.) for being so image based, yet they themselves are fans of a music movement whose name literally means "visual style".

Those usually tend to be the anime fanboys/girls that go all googoo gahgah over anything Japanese.
I've dealt with my fair share of those in this life times.

Nero PsyKoTiX

.+Melanthios+.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:41 pm

GilAskan
Rellik San
GilAskan
Rellik San

Well, to some point.

Indeed.

eh. I like moi dix mois, but hate the new hardcore-alternative crap in America...

Gackt is okay, he's far better than most of the male japanese singers and I like metamorphose by far.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:08 pm

he could be better.

Toasterladd

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:28 pm

.+Melanthios+.
GilAskan
Rellik San
GilAskan
Rellik San

Well, to some point.

Indeed.

eh. I like moi dix mois, but hate the new hardcore-alternative crap in America...

Moi dix Mois also isn't your typical visual kei group, either. They clearly stand out as heavier (and less trend based) than most of their peers.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:34 am

Agreed! I really like Gackt. 3nodding

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Magical Girl 50

Shinigami-Rem_Death-Note

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:58 am

Gackt san wa dai suki desu!
heart heart heart 4laugh heart heart heart
*sighs dreamily*
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:02 am

Lyrics from my fave Gackt song - Kimi no tame ni dekiru koto

Itsu made mo kimi dakera
Kawa anaide somani ite
Bokudo unade takeshime da
Toki kara, kono yokami
Itsume tana heart

Shinigami-Rem_Death-Note

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:40 am

You know whats funny about VK on a whole...

My favourite Japanese band, the Mad Caps, did it, about 20 years ago under the title Berrie, then moved on to look like grunge band and by the last album, looked like a Japanese Suicidal Tendencies tribute act.

So all these bands now, that are VK, are just doing something that was done 20 years ago... just like all the western bands that are coming out now.
Music - Related Topics

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff