Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
moon needs critiques!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

moonprincess70

10,750 Points
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Consumer 100
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:43 am
Well i'm thinking of entering this in a contest but is it any good? please put up critiques suggestions ways to improve my art stuff like that thank you! heart [x]btw I cannot color at ALL any tips would be helpful! I mainly use color pencils and crayons and the second link is to mu cg anyway ty again for your helps!
[x][cg]  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:55 am
My depressed rantings..
XP now I feel depressed I'm looking around this thread you know hoping to give out comments or critiques and the momment I open up a page I'm like: O-O doese this person have an Art shop? XP I never noticed how good gaian's are I thought my best friend was an awesome artist, and I though I was at least a decent one but now I'm considering hanging up the pencils for good...I just can't compete  

moonprincess70

10,750 Points
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Consumer 100
  • Megathread 100

Okiyami

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:00 am
If it's an art contest, I suggest you color/shade it before you enter (just for courtesy's sake... I always fully CG my works before entering them in contests XD). I think the overall design of the dress is good, but what are those things above her head? Sparkles? (Clouds, wind, etc.) It'll be easier to tell if you color it in. I have the same problem with my lineart (Wait a minute, that's a hand? By golly, I thought that was part of his shirt? Hardyharhar!).

In general, I think the key to improving the artwork is to probably try and study anatomy a bit more. For instance, eyes are round, almond or "ball" shaped, not squares (so aim for more almond-shaped eyes). Proportion equations are also useuful, too (the shoulders are three heads wide and bodies are 6-7 heads tall. The tips of your hands reach the middle of your thigh, your entire "hip" area is one head long and your waist is at least as wide as your head--though that'll be skinny, too). Generally, I like the figure of the first picture, though the neck and arms are too skinny--the neck should be as wide as the face and the arms... the arms, actually, depend on how generally skinny/fat the character is.

I'm no good at colored pencils. Just stay off the crayons. Crayons are waxy, grainy, and go all over the place. If you like the general effect of a crayon (one piece of colored wax) buy pure colored pencils, which look and act like crayons without the waxy/grainy texture.

The problem with traditional coloring is how it turns up once you scan it stressed . It ALWAYS turns out looking funny and I absolutely admire those artists who can scan their pencils/pastels/paint without making it look like a sandbox. I like how you stayed inside the lines and kept your colors pure. Myself, I can NEVER draw inside the lines of my own drawing-- I always "bleed" out and it drives my art teacher crazy sweatdrop . The general comment I can say about color is to add more "shades" and "highlight" to give your character a little more depth.

I really suck at colored pencils. Sorry!

Anyway, sorry if I sound harsh (or offended you). I hate hurting people's feelings sweatdrop . (and no, I can't draw horses). *sigh* I suck at critiques; that's why I didn't sign up for mentors, either XD  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:04 am
Sorry, messed up with my post sweatdrop  

Okiyami

moonprincess70

10,750 Points
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Consumer 100
  • Megathread 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:20 am
thanks oki! heart that was like reeeaaalayyy helpful 3nodding *goese off to try new eye types  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:50 pm
Quote:
I never noticed how good gaian's are I thought my best friend was an awesome artist, and I though I was at least a decent one but now I'm considering hanging up the pencils for good...I just can't compete

Haha I'm in the same boat as you >__>; It happens to everyone, I guess, but then again most people didn't get to where they are now without an insane amount of practice. Keep drawing and practicing, you'll definitely get better if you keep an eye out on what to improve on and make an effort to do so. ^^

Okiyami's already stated a major load of critiques, so I'll skip on that. I do have one comment though; take note of the size of the nose in your drawings. Anime mostly focuses on having small noses (exception being those big tough burly guys and FMA. XD) But if the subject matter is a girl it's normally best to keep her nose small and petite to bring out the "cute" and "pretty" look, so size down your nose a bit.

I'm not much good with color pencils either so I can't help you crying Warui na!  

TRP86

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff