Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Mogtoats' stuff [Updated: Jul 19 2010] Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mogtoats

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:50 pm
Is back for a while. Under a different name. Used to be The Martian.

DA:
http://dbi-znt.deviantart.com

So.

What to know:

- I like harsh/constructive/detailed criticism.
- Redline please.
- I'm sorry if you see broken pictures. I like to delete things alot. D:

---------------

July 10th 2007

Works I need to have (be? want? My English died there... ) critiqued:

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/59219520/

So, what can I put in the background? There's to much of blank (red) space. Which is bad.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:46 pm
September 20th 2007

WIP. Pose suggestion? Because the current one seems pretty bland. Would it be better if it is sitting on some throne? Theme is going to be Thanatos (so it's some sort of Death character). So the pose should be fitting, something cold, dignified. But still dynamisch.

I've got the headdress details designed out (too lazy to scan it). Costume is still in the process of being designed. But it will be some sort of robe thingie.

Also need some tips for precise brushing. I have the bad habit of doing scribbles even on paper. On Photoshop it is worse. O___o

WIP pic

Help please?

(Please no criticism on person's proportions, etc. I'm just brainstorming right now.)  

Mogtoats

Mogtoats

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:21 am
November 9th, 2007

My Latest Piece

Finally whipped myself up and scanned it. D:  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:29 pm
I really can't offer much by means of suggestions on this-- your shading job and anatomy are really good. I especially like the texture on the reptilian frills. My only nitpick would be that I can't quite tell which direction your light source is coming from-- I'm guessing it's somewhere to the left, but the shading on the feathers leaves me confused. Did you use a reference for this?  

Ishrie

Pann-yu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:31 pm
I love that last picture! It is a really good design and picture, but the shading throws me off a bit. I think you can afford to make the back wing a bit darker, I almost thought it was part of the head at first. O_o The bead and head looks a bit flat as well, maybe some more shadows will help. The perspective seems to be throwing me off to, the legs and wings look like they're in a 3/4 ish view, but the head and tail looks like a profile.

I'm envious of how you draw feathers, they look really realistic! I think this is an awesome picture, overall. biggrin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:09 pm
1. Thanks for the compliments!
2. No references used, so things got a bit screwy. Well, I don't see any wrong perspective except for the back wing and maybe the beak. Will take a closer look.
3. Light source wasn't taken in consideration because I realised its existence too late... -___-o I'll try that next time. D:
4. Back wing: I was trying to achieve the "more far off so less dark" thing. And now I'm confused. O__o
5. Beak is bad. I'll fix it later. Sometime. XD

^^  

Mogtoats

Mogtoats

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:30 pm
Oh, there is another one I need some second opinions on:

Me Avi.

Still no apparent light source, shoulder doesn't really look right, neither do the arms. And trentchcoats doesn't float like that (except for Kaiba, lmao). -___-  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:47 pm
It looks like you move way too fast when you're shading, and that you're not paying attention to the direction of your strokes. Here and here are some really good pencil tutorials. Also, you're using a lot of similar values when you're shading in a dark area, which makes it hard to see your details.

I like how you used the costume to accent the mood in your eyes. You look so pissed. X{D I wouldn't like to have a run in with that scythe...  

Ishrie

Mogtoats

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:32 am
Nice links.

I know it looks messy with the pencil strokes, pretty half-assed job there. I didn't really pay attention. And was impatient. D:

Dark Area: what do you suggest then? Darker will be quite impossible because the 8B have already been used. Lighter? Will maybe look too light.

And it also might because of over adjustment in Photoshop. On paper it looks pretty fine. To me, atleast.

What about the anatomy? That is my main concern right now.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:39 pm
I would suggest lightening it up just a little bit in areas that are supposed to stick out (such as the edges of the arm, which would be receiving more light than the rest of the coat anyway).

Anatomy-wise, it seems like the character is a head too short in the torso area... unless I'm measuring the head as bigger than it really is. sweatdrop I'm going on the base of the horns to near the bottom of the gas mask.

I know what you mean, my pencil work always looks so much better when it hasn't been scanned. D}X Seems like my scanner likes to pick up the worst in everything.  

Ishrie

Mogtoats

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:05 pm
Well, actually, there are parts that are lighter... But seems to be not light enough.

D:

Yes it has no neck! OMFG. -___-  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:59 pm
EDIT:
Never mind this one. D:  

Mogtoats

Mogtoats

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:37 pm
ROFL.

I've outdone myself.

Latest hallucination:

http://darknessblueice.deviantart.com/art/Cthulhu-Rat-71675679  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:53 pm
You've really outdone yourself. X{3

I think that the dark shades in the background would look better with some more blending... right now, there's little stipples of white in there, and it kind of distracts from the character. Also, I really can't tell what it's standing on. Other than that, awesome idea, killer shading.  

Ishrie

Mogtoats

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:32 pm
D: I didn't have any bread to reference it from. But could you see the cheese?

*nodnod* White little things are somehow out of lazyness. If you draw on the background enough with a somehow hard pencil, it will blend by itself but not lose the texture.

I think my paper is too rough for my level of lazyness. biggrin  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces