hell yes
  nope
View Results

Loki Iago

Anxious Scamp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:47 pm
Everyone loves them. Why though?

They're cool, they're gothic--but why?

I tried explaining this to my Dad (why Vampires were a goth thing) but then I realized I didn't have an answer. It was a "just cuz" scenario.

So any thoughts on why Vampires are so beloved?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:02 am
the fact that there're children of Caine whom was sentenced to an eternity of neverending darkness for killing his brother Able. plus the fact that some angels offered him or cursed him with the thirst of blood and a terrable reaction to sunlight and many other things. In the Darkneass he met Lilith and when Lilith beared his chilren, they all had the same powers thus to this day there ARE Vampires thanks to my lord Caine! There are many classified clans of Vampires because of different poweres and attitudes Like Gangrel, Toreador,Malkavian,Nosferatu and The Treme...plus Manay others. I know all this because one...My dad also likes Vampiers...and two...I'm a clan Gangrel with some Toreador in me...there ya go...is that enough information for ya?  

Manah Uchiha

4,550 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Window Shopper 100

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:11 pm
Relating to fiction:

Vampires are not necessarily gothic (which is to say that not all fit the Byronic hero archetype), though most seem to be.

It also seems that many love them because of a sensual flair that most modern vampires possess. They're described as being beautiful, and many find the blood drinking to have a sexual quality to it. Seemingly as an end result, many of them are complete Mary Sues and Gary Stus (think Miriam Blaylock from The Hunger, or Edward Cullen from Twilight)
WE NEED MOAR UGLY VAMPS! surprised (like how the majority were in old myths and fiction)

Relating to the vampire subculture:

It seems to be a fairly interesting scene; notably in that it attracts all kinds of people, especially outside of the gothic community. However, I admit that I've never met any vampires myself.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:25 pm
They have something dark and romantic over them, maybe even erotic. They have eternal life, are beautiful. For some people I think it is some kind of fantasy and for a small group even an fetish. It attracts people. Even me.

Vampires aren't goth. But much goths do like them and they stories about them but also non-goths are interested in vampires and their romance.  

Disease of the Flesh

Jarc_The_Mighty

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:56 pm
Ok, vamps are so beloved because they're so cool. People outside the goth community love the darkness, romance, and tranquility of them. They are gothic because of the fact that they are all just corpses that try to drink the blood of others and are semi-mortal.

Manah Uchiha
the fact that there're children of Caine whom was sentenced to an eternity of neverending darkness for killing his brother Able. plus the fact that some angels offered him or cursed him with the thirst of blood and a terrable reaction to sunlight and many other things. In the Darkneass he met Lilith and when Lilith beared his chilren, they all had the same powers thus to this day there ARE Vampires thanks to my lord Caine! There are many classified clans of Vampires because of different poweres and attitudes Like Gangrel, Toreador,Malkavian,Nosferatu and The Treme...plus Manay others. I know all this because one...My dad also likes Vampiers...and two...I'm a clan Gangrel with some Toreador in me...there ya go...is that enough information for ya?
That is completely false, and you know it. To begin, if there was a Caine and his children were cursed with such a fate then we'd all have it. Think about it, Caine and Able were the only ones left, and Caine produced all the children so he would be the father to us all and we'd all be cursed! Next, you're just fanticizing and know nothing about the true vampiric societies or about the reality of the monsters that go pump in the night, so quit saying you do!  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:44 pm
Manah Uchiha

Bloody toreadors, should be wiped out, like we did with the Giovanni, Cappadocians and children of Salout.... now Brujah... True Brujah, is a clan to be proud of, BY THE WAY... you neglected to mention about Golconda, Enoch founded by Enosh, you called them children to imply mortal birth instead of childer to imply immortal rebirth, the curse of clans... (i.e. why they are cursed.) oh and most important of all.... YOU BROKE THE BLOODY MASQUERADE YOU IDIOT!

Seriously, you fail as a white wolf vampire. You'd last not even 2 minutes in one of my groups campaigns.

Oh and if you read the bible properly, it makes note of after Caine being banished to the scorched land of Nod, that Adam and Eve continued to produce more progeny, which is who we descend from, meaning we're all a bunch of inbreds. smile

As for vampires being strictly gothic... I don't think so, I think its more to do with the bram stoker book that they became popular as symbols of goth culture. Yet in modern culture, films like Blade, Dusk til Dawn and John Carpenters Vampires, have pushed them out of the gothic domain and into the public eye as being 'anyone anywhere' creatures, which offers a much deeper sense of foreboding about them, as opposed to "Oh look he has white make up, is dead pan, long hair and is a pretty boy... better cover my neck." biggrin  

Rellik San
Crew

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:52 pm
-Resurrected Writer-
Relating to fiction:

Vampires are not necessarily gothic (which is to say that not all fit the Byronic hero archetype), though most seem to be.

It also seems that many love them because of a sensual flair that most modern vampires possess. They're described as being beautiful, and many find the blood drinking to have a sexual quality to it. Seemingly as an end result, many of them are complete Mary Sues and Gary Stus (think Miriam Blaylock from The Hunger, or Edward Cullen from Twilight)
WE NEED MOAR UGLY VAMPS! surprised (like how the majority were in old myths and fiction)

It seems to be a fairly interesting scene; notably in that it attracts all kinds of people, especially outside of the gothic community. However, I admit that I've never met any vampires myself.

Or how about vamps that don't moan constantly about how hard their unlife is, get off their a** and actually do something interesting, instead of pinning for one girl whilst screwing another... Cos news flash, I don't care, I want to hear about gangs of vampires in a street war in LA during the riots... now that would be a good book. smile  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:25 pm
Rellik San
-Resurrected Writer-
Relating to fiction:

Or how about vamps that don't moan constantly about how hard their unlife is, get off their a** and actually do something interesting, instead of pinning for one girl whilst screwing another... Cos news flash, I don't care, I want to hear about gangs of vampires in a street war in LA during the riots... now that would be a good book. smile

Yeah, I'm pretty tired of the angsty ones, myself.
I wonder if those self-loathing buggers would still exist if Anne Rice never did...  

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:54 am
-Resurrected Writer-
Rellik San
-Resurrected Writer-
Relating to fiction:

I wonder if those self-loathing buggers would still exist if Anne Rice never did...
Probably as some smart a** would rewrite dracula in modern day for school and make him angsty. -_-  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:33 pm
Rellik San
-Resurrected Writer-
Rellik San
-Resurrected Writer-
Relating to fiction:

Probably as some smart a** would rewrite dracula in modern day for school and make him angsty. -_-

That would be completely slaughtering an amazing tale...
I can imagine it now. Dracula takes some petite village girl up to the tower,tries to make her feel sorry for him, then Dracula eventually convinces her to stake him because the "pain and guilt" is too much to live with. Then Van Helsing walks in...*dun dun dun*

Anne Rice...what happened to her as a child? Every book she writes is the same, the same depressed vampires falling hopelessly in love with humans who could be their great-great-grandkids for all we know, who try and fail to commit suicide because of their emotional problems and revalations invloving god. She lost her "origionality" with the angsty vampire by the second or third book.  

Henneth Annun
Captain

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:39 pm
XWraith_LordX
Rellik San
-Resurrected Writer-
Rellik San
-Resurrected Writer-
Relating to fiction:

I can imagine it now. Dracula takes some petite village girl up to the tower,tries to make her feel sorry for him, then Dracula eventually convinces her to stake him because the "pain and guilt" is too much to live with. Then Van Helsing walks in...*dun dun dun*

Anne Rice...what happened to her as a child? Every book she writes is the same, the same depressed vampires falling hopelessly in love with humans who could be their great-great-grandkids for all we know, who try and fail to commit suicide because of their emotional problems and revalations invloving god. She lost her "origionality" with the angsty vampire by the second or third book.

And even though its 19th century england, the girl uses modern American terms and slang and everyone miraculously understands what she means.

Anne Rice: two words... SELL OUT! she hit on a market that sells and she catered to it since, she's in it purely for the money.  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:56 pm
Rellik San
XWraith_LordX
Rellik San
-Resurrected Writer-
Rellik San
-Resurrected Writer-
Relating to fiction:

And even though its 19th century england, the girl uses modern American terms and slang and everyone miraculously understands what she means.

Anne Rice: two words... SELL OUT! she hit on a market that sells and she catered to it since, she's in it purely for the money.

Better yet, the soundtrack for the film is comprised of nu-metal songs. gonk

As have the vast majority of young-adult fiction authors, really.  

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:26 pm
-Resurrected Writer-
Rellik San
XWraith_LordX
Rellik San
-Resurrected Writer-

Oh and her love is between Dracula (who was never ever called Vlad) and an attractive human... probably a prince or a stable boy with a noble heart.

Good point. I should write my own vampire action story and see how it goes. biggrin  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:27 pm
Rellik San
-Resurrected Writer-
Rellik San
XWraith_LordX
Rellik San
-Resurrected Writer-

Oh and her love is between Dracula (who was never ever called Vlad) and an attractive human... probably a prince or a stable boy with a noble heart.

Good point. I should write my own vampire action story and see how it goes. biggrin

It could have been realistic, until she made everyone gay, agnsty, and speak every language and dialect on the face of the planet, including those that haven't even come about yet! Some of the ideas that characters have are centuries ahead of their time, and would never have been acceptable back then.

Like doctor Phil, I say "Get real."

I agree with the money comment, she's catering to the market she found.

It would be a stable boy, whose parents died from cholera or smallpox when he was six. He would be the foolishly brave type I think. And he wouldn't be a virgin.  

Henneth Annun
Captain

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:46 pm
Rellik San
-Resurrected Writer-
Rellik San
XWraith_LordX
Rellik San
-Resurrected Writer-

(Neither was the original Count Dracula, if I'm not mistaken - Stoker never made the connection clear in his novel) Oooh, the love triangle 4laugh - what better way to rake in the teeny dollars?

I've already gone ten pages, myself wink (not an action vampire novel, but a vampire novel minus the pointless angst, romance, and bisexuality, nonetheless)... now if only I didn't procrastinate so much gonk crying  
Extended Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff