Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Fantasy Books Guild
Once Upon a Time series (Dokey, Holder, Lynn, Viguie, Weyn) Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Silver Shadow Sinner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:15 pm
Has anyone heard of this series?

There are eleven books total, I believe and were written by different authors with the same purpose in mind: to retell classical fairy tale with a twist.

The books are:

Beauty Sleep by Cameron Dokey
Before Midnight by Cameron Dokey
Golden by Cameron Dokey
Midnight Pearls by Debbie Viguie
Night Dance by Suzanne Weyn
Scarlet Moon by Debbie Viguie
Sunlight and Shadow by Cameron Dokey
Snow by Tracy Lynn
The Rose Bride by Nancy Holder
The Storyteller's Daughter by Cameron Dokey
Water Song by Suzanne Weyn

The fairy tales retold (in order above) are:

Sleeping Beauty
Cinderella
Rapunzel
The little Mermaid
The Twelve Dancing Princesses and the Legend of King Arthur
Little Red Riding Hood
The Magic Flute
Snow White and the Seven Dwarves
The White Bride and the Black Bride
Arabian Nights
The Frog Prince

Has anyone read any of the books listed above?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:45 pm
I think I've read Snow, and pretty much didn't like it. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great, either. Other than that, I haven't read any of them, but I'll look into them. I love retold fairy tales.  

NightIntent
Captain

MyLadyMandy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:53 pm
I haven't, but I think I may look into them. I absolutely adore fairy tales, so I'm sure it'll be worth my time, eh? biggrin  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:27 pm
Because they're written by different authors, some people like only half the series. Personally, I like Midnight Pearls and Before Midnight the best. It could be the fairy tales and the way they're retold too. My least favorite is Beauty Sleep and that's written by Dokey and so is Before Midnight.

They aren't really long, so most people miss them because they're so small! They're about two hundred pages each, that's it. I like them because they're easy reading, have twists, and are rather light in nature; sometimes you just can't read a heavily-philosophical book and just need a fairy tale that you haven't read before.

Silver Shadow Sinner

dirt bike girl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:33 am
yea I read before midnight and I am totally temptend to say that it was better than the origanal cinderella.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:12 pm
Oh! Apparently there is one more book in this series: Spirited by Nancy Holder, a retelling of Beauty and the Beast. However, I cannot find this book ANYWHERE and it's the only one I'm missing! If someone finds it, please reply or PM me with the information!  

Silver Shadow Sinner

Tegan_Sky

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:50 pm
Wow, I haven't heard of any of those books! I love retold stories. Each time I find one their the same story with a twist. My favorite retold story so far that I have read was Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:35 am
I haven't but i think that its going to be cool to find them and read them  

murphyad

Tarantellatears

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:22 am
I love these books. I've read about half of them. My mom used to get them when she ordered presents off of amazon - so she'd get free shipping. But then she got Midnight Pearls - the only we have that wasn't written by Dokey, and she stopped getting them. She didn't like it. I wish we'd get all of them, there are several I'd like to read, and my library doesn't have them.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:38 pm
I haven't heard of any of those books, but I enjoy fairy tales and their retellings. I'll have to go raid the local library.  

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

Tegan_Sky

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:08 pm
Ok. I went and found those books at my public library and I absolutely loved them. I first read Water Song and it really made me think about the story of the Frog Prince. After that I read Scarlet Moon and I think it was my favorite. Personally, I think that the combined efforts of the different authors is one thing that makes the series so great.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:51 am
I have read about 5 of these books and I love ALL of them and I wish I could get more. and there already is a retelling of beauty and the beast! I like it but I haven't heard of this spirited book or what ever?  

dirt bike girl

pkmn1995

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:23 am
i loved them so far but midnight pearl's ending wasn't that good.....  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:42 am
I've read Before Midnight and enjoyed it, but haven't yet read any of the others. I like retold fairy tales, so should probably read more of these. I don't have a lot of money to buy books right now though. ;;  

Wissakins

pkmn1995

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:48 am
i suggest you buy storyteller's daughter or water song first.they're the best so far.  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff