Would you teach your children your native language? Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

King Henry
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:02 am
I learned to speak Vietnamese because my grandmother was my primary babysitter until I was eight-years-old. She didn't know any English, so we had to communicate in Vietnamese. We also enjoyed watching Vietnamese dramas and translated Chinese kung fu movies together.

When I started nursery school, my teacher thought I was mute. I never spoke in class and I never paid any attention to her. When she addressed this issue with my parents, they explained that I wasn't mute. I didn't speak or pay attention because I didn't understand English blaugh

Anyway, do you plan on teaching your children to speak in your native language? Do you think it would be important for them to learn it?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:03 am
I think it would be important for my kids to speak Vietnamese. What's the point of being Vietnamese if you can't speak the language? Still, it won't be my top priority as a parent. I think it would be more important for my children to learn English, since it's the primary language in the U.S. They would only need to speak Vietnamese with their grandparents (my parents).  

King Henry
Crew

Wolf God Moro

Beloved Gaian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:13 am
User Image
I think I will once I fully understand and can speak tagalog fluently.
Once I have mastered it, I would be more that happy to teach my chidern.
In this day and age where English is becoming the universal
language I think it is important to teach my own kids their native tongue
and for other parents to do the same. Otherwise we lose
cultural identity whenver a person is not taught their own language.
Not learning a second destroys the rich, cultural evironment we live in.

I'm basically white washed right now, BUT I am trying to
learn Tagalog desperately. Today I still wish my mother would have
spoke Tagalog around me, but then again my dad wouldn't understand
and he is the definition of being white washed - Listens to ROCK, can't speak his languages, and he is Japanese & Korean. sweatdrop

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:38 am
I've mastered only 21% of Mandarin Chinese, and I intend to teach my children all I know, and sending them to Chinese school when they're older.  

Salliewalker

The Committee Staff Gaian

1,650 Points
  • The Committee Staff 25
  • Gaian 50
  • Signature Look 250

metamonkey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:52 am
i think its important to teach your kids the language of the country they currently live in. but you should try to gradually teach them about another language so they can at least understand relatives  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:54 am
my daghter knows 4 lang already >_< english, from her father, spanish from my gf, and chinese and japanese. my mom always teaches her chinese  

traya sakurazukamori

t i n y. riceball_

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:19 am
In my opinion its good to teach children their own language so it lives on to the next generation or else some of the culture is lost in the family and when it will stop your future kids from asking you...
"Mommy...daddy, why didn't you teach me [Place Language here].?"

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:59 am
I will definately teach my children Mandarin. Besides, it is easier to learn when the child is small.
I think it is very important that people can speak their native language.
For me, I speak Mandarin at home and english outside.

[HelloKitty]

1HitWonderGirl

Invisible Elder

9,025 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Invisibility 100
  • Angelic Alliance 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:52 am
I'll definitely teach my children to speak korean. It's better to be bi-lingual~ Especially in the buisness world, so I'd be doing them a huge favor.

I know my brother's wife told me when they have kids I'll have to be their teacher, Lol since my brother pretty much forgot the language all together >.<  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:26 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. ninja User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

One more night , I wanna be with you
Where I wanna hold you tight…

My culture and language are important to me since I'm proud of it and I want my children to share that value. Also, most of my relatives don't know either English or French. How will my kids communicate with them if I don't pass them the Vietnamese language? That will obviously be a problem. Other than that, knowing only 1 or 2 languages don't bring as much advantages as someone who knows over 2.

Yet, English and French speaking are dominating allophones. :/ That's why I intend to send my children to a Vietnamese school.

It feels so right
To
night…

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Rebirth Project

enemene

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:23 pm
I got to teach my children my native language...its family tradition...  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:18 pm
Of course I would! And of course it would be important!

They'd need to know English to live normally in the US, right? lol.

Actually, Japanese would be something my kids would probably know, too, because I use it to talk to myself. sweatdrop Meaning, if I go on a rant, they'll need to know Japanese because I don't stop using it, afterwords.  

Pentagramy

BlackHammer888

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:29 am
Of course. They gotta learn it. I'll be sending them to chinese school biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:49 pm
I would be very important for me to teach my children Japanese and German. I don't know if I will be staying in Japan or going back to Germnay or going to America.  

Shinozaki-kun

Kyros_DeLove

6,050 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:47 pm
Why wouldn't I want to teach my kids my native language (Vietnamese)? It's one of the only things left linking us to our culture. I regret that I excelled to well in my English classes. crying Honors English, sure. But it means an EPIC PHAIL in Vietnamese. sweatdrop gonk  
Asian Pride -- Asian Hangout for Asian People

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff