Preference?
  Tarja.
  Anette.
  I don't like Nightwish.
  I don't care.
View Results

MortSanglant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:59 am
As most Nightwish fans know, Tarja has not been part of the band for a long time.

I finally got to hear some new Nightwish - with their new front lady - Anette Olzon. I have to say that I'm not impressed.

Tarja had the perfect voice to lead their sound vocally. This girl - from what I've heard so far - seems like a Cristina Scabbia. Not to say she's not talented - Cristina - but that she's hardly powerful enough in her vocals to lead such an epic sounding band.

If you haven't heard their new stuff yet, check out samples at their MySpace.

Input?

User Image

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:22 pm
Well, I'm not really sure what to make of the New Nightwish, the vocal capabilities of Tarja to Annette are undenyable that Tarja has a more powerful, trained operatic sound qualities that carries over the epic qaulity of the band and while Annette soft, light vocals get easily drowned out. She's also rather breathy which I do not like in a singer. Don't get me wrong she's not a bad singer, I'm just not sure if she's suited for Nightwish or even if she could handle tackling some of the bands older material like Ghost love score, End of all hope ...so on and so forth. So I really don't know where I stand , i do prefer the sound of Tarja with nightwish. On the comparison to Annette to Christina I must disagree..Annette is a soprano, christina is an alto and they both have completely different timbres ...though christina does get lost a bit..so i understand your point there but again Nightwish has a more epic sound and Lacuna Coil has a little more of an industrial feel and christina is backed by male vocals. Back to Nightwish I wasn't thrilled over the single Eva, and I'm still unsure what to think of Annette...time will tell  

Fallentowards

MortSanglant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:27 pm
Glad you agree for the most part.

I'm not saying that Cristina and Anette are the same, but that Anette is weaker than Tarja and unable to replace her; therefore, would probably be better suited singing things such as Cristina does. She'd probably be stronger as an alto is what I mean. Definitely not comparing the sound of Lacuna and Nightwish - who have added more male vocals it should seem.

User Image

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:53 pm
MortSanglant

I'm not saying that Cristina and Anette are the same, but that Anette is weaker than Tarja and unable to replace her; therefore, would probably be better suited singing things such as Cristina does. She'd probably be stronger as an alto is what I mean. Definitely not comparing the sound of Lacuna and Nightwish - who have added more male vocals it should seem.

User Image

Ah thank you for explaining that more and in that case yeah I definately agree. Anette sounds as though she has a stronger middle range aposed to higher resister. Though I definately didnt mean the comparison between the bands just the singers voices range and tone wise especially. But yeah I agree. I'm surprized that not many other people have commented in this thread.  

Fallentowards

dante_reincarnation15

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:28 pm
good point  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:29 am
Fallentowards
MortSanglant

User Image

Ah thank you for explaining that more and in that case yeah I definately agree. Anette sounds as though she has a stronger middle range aposed to higher resister. Though I definately didnt mean the comparison between the bands just the singers voices range and tone wise especially. But yeah I agree. I'm surprized that not many other people have commented in this thread.

I am too.

User Image

MortSanglant

Fallentowards

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:06 am
My my, I was sure as hell that more people would be commenting in this thread.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:37 pm
So mortSanglant your opinion on the new single and video for Amaranth?  

Fallentowards

Divinity Rage

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:55 am
I don't think that Nightwish could follow-up with the same operatic sound after getting rid of Tarja. I think this new vocal-instrumental combo has potential, and I'm willing to give it a shot. Been waiting for this too long not to.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:31 pm
Jadyn_Fortysix
I don't think that Nightwish could follow-up with the same operatic sound after getting rid of Tarja. I think this new vocal-instrumental combo has potential, and I'm willing to give it a shot. Been waiting for this too long not to.

I think we all have lol. Have you heard any of the new singles? if so what do you think?  

Fallentowards

doom1000

2,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:35 am
I liked nightwish as they were before, but now i LOVE them ^^
Eva is some of the most beutifull ive ever have heard, and amaranth was AWSOME!!! I quess i just like the more light voice, instead of the more deep opera voice. But thats probely a matter of taste razz  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:33 pm
doom1000
I liked nightwish as they were before, but now i LOVE them ^^
Eva is some of the most beutifull ive ever have heard, and amaranth was AWSOME!!! I quess i just like the more light voice, instead of the more deep opera voice. But thats probely a matter of taste razz

I actually didn't like eva at all...amaranth is much more tolerable  

Fallentowards

My Lovely Ora

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:11 pm
I like the new songs. I think it's good to see Nightwish trying out a new vocal sound instead of trying to find a Tarja substitute. Tarja is wonderful, but I don't want to see someone try to imitate her.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:25 pm
Yes I must agree, the vocals are not very impressive. The songs seem great but just her singing just isn't nearly the range it should be.

-lets off a sigh- just today I was in a goth rock thread and when I mentioned Nightwish they told me it wasn't goth rock... that is was simply a metal band. Anyone here agree with me?

ShadowLotus

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:15 am
ShadowLotus
Yes I must agree, the vocals are not very impressive. The songs seem great but just her singing just isn't nearly the range it should be.

-lets off a sigh- just today I was in a goth rock thread and when I mentioned Nightwish they told me it wasn't goth rock... that is was simply a metal band. Anyone here agree with me?

I don't know, its kind of hard to find a classically trained opera singer like Tarja, who'll willingly perform metal and not be a complete diva. I actually like the new direction they are taking, its still big and grandiose but with an edge that makes them much more accessible.

As for what Nightwish were... thats simple, they were neither Goth Rock or Metal, they were Opera, whether or not people like it, its the truth.  
Music - Related Topics

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff