Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

gods?
  yup
  nope
View Results

Shopping_Spree_101

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:23 pm
I believe that Q is not a god. Ya know the Q who killed himself? he said that the Q aren't omnipotent, and if my memory serves me, he may have said they aren't gods. My theory is that they are simply a more advanced telekinetic nonhumanoid speices that can also affect the dimensions including time. Therefore they have created their own dimension, the Q continuum. they claim to have always existed, but perhaps they have merely existed for so long they have forgotten their beginning, and with no one to remind them, and a proud streak that compells them to portray themselves as gods, they have declared that they have no beginning. How many of you remember being born after only a decade or two? Think about thousands of years. Plus with time travel, it's just as good as having always existed.

That's my stand. What's yours? I'd love to debate with someone who thinks they are gods.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:41 pm
Shopping_Spree_101
I believe that Q is not a god. Ya know the Q who killed himself? he said that the Q aren't omnipotent, and if my memory serves me, he may have said they aren't gods. My theory is that they are simply a more advanced telekinetic nonhumanoid speices that can also affect othe dimensions including time. Therefore they have created their own dimension, the Q continuum. they claim to have always existed, but perhaps they have merely existed for so long they have forgotten their beginning, and with no one to remind them, and a proud streak that compells them to portray themselves as gods, they have declared that they have no beginning. How many of you remember being born after only a decade or two? Think about thousands of years. Plus with time travel, it's just as good as having always existed.

That's my stand. What's yours? I'd love to debate with someone who thinks they are gods.

crying scream crying scream crying DECLARE SPOILERS DAMIT

i havent gotten that far yet  

Choboxer

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Saoraan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:25 am
I would agree that they are not gods if you read some of the ST books specifically the Q Continuum series Q says that the guardian of forever was built by his ancestors who were corporeal entities like us.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:56 am
Saoraan
I would agree that they are not gods if you read some of the ST books specifically the Q Continuum series Q says that the guardian of forever was built by his ancestors who were corporeal entities like us.

But the books aren't cannon.  

Naphatarie

Shopping_Spree_101

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:54 am
Naphatarie
Saoraan

But the books aren't cannon.

still, it only supports other evidence that they are not gods. Plus, they may not even be immortal. Just a very long life span. Thank you Saoraan.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:59 pm
The Q aren't Gods. They even say they aren't.  

Emi Uoza

Shopping_Spree_101

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:01 pm
Emi Uoza

I know. That doesn't mean people don't believe that they are. This thread is so i could see why people who think they are gods think so. I've run into such people on other threads. I know they exist. See the poll.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:23 pm
Shopping_Spree_101
Emi Uoza

I know. That doesn't mean people don't believe that they are. This thread is so i could see why people who think they are gods think so. I've run into such people on other threads. I know they exist. See the poll.

However, it seems ew of this opinion are on this thread. I'll just wait here until they come.  

Shopping_Spree_101

-[.Moo.]-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:10 am
    In my opinion, the Q are just highly evolved species, like the Shepherds in the non-canon books 'Dark Matters'.
    Also, they are similar to the Travelers.
    It was mused in one of the Dark Matters books that maybe by the time their universe was ended, Humans may evolve into a species that don't need a universe.
    Also, What about Species 8472?
    These are all examples of races that can travel through space and time, even distorting the fabric of the universes.

+==+==+moo+

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:56 am
-[.Moo.]-
    In my opinion, the Q are just highly evolved species, like the Shepherds in the non-canon books 'Dark Matters'.
    Also, they are similar to the Travelers.
    It was mused in one of the Dark Matters books that maybe by the time their universe was ended, Humans may evolve into a species that don't need a universe.
    Also, What about Species 8472?
    These are all examples of races that can travel through space and time, even distorting the fabric of the universes.

+==+==+moo+

exactly, thank you!
My only problem with that though is that I don't believe in evolution, rather a Creator.  

Shopping_Spree_101

MagnusHansen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:22 pm
They are not. They are simply another race with seemingly "god-like" powers to lower life forms. Races across the galaxy simply deatize(sp?) the Q.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:57 pm
You failed to define "gods" when posing your question.

A "god" is any object of veneration.
Some people make a "god" out of their job, or money, or something else,
and there's people whose lives center around the object of their adoration-
and some of those have made Star Trek that object!

There are even people who make THEMSELVES their focus of adoration.
Praying to oneself is obviously self-defeating, but they DO worship
themselves.

Thus, if some character prayed to a Q, that Q would be a god to that
character.
Anyone remember the Mintakans wondering how to appease "The
Picard"? For a time, a few of them considered Picard a god, and to
them, he WAS one.
Certainly a number of races considered one of the Q (the one played
by John de Lancie) to be a sort of devil, an entity of evil, a dark god.  

Steel Sterling
Captain

Brilliant Saint

18,265 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Team Jacob 100

Red Roses in December

6,600 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:01 pm
I think that their species has developed immortality and extraordinary abilities beyond our comprehension, but I don't beleive that they are gods. The reason to my beleif may be that in my fanfiction story, my character kills Q. All hail me.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:10 pm
Steel Sterling
You failed to define "gods" when posing your question.

A "god" is any object of veneration.
Some people make a "god" out of their job, or money, or something else,
and there's people whose lives center around the object of their adoration-
and some of those have made Star Trek that object!

There are even people who make THEMSELVES their focus of adoration.
Praying to oneself is obviously self-defeating, but they DO worship
themselves.

Thus, if some character prayed to a Q, that Q would be a god to that
character.
Anyone remember the Mintakans wondering how to appease "The
Picard"? For a time, a few of them considered Picard a god, and to
them, he WAS one.
Certainly a number of races considered one of the Q (the one played
by John de Lancie) to be a sort of devil, an entity of evil, a dark god.

Part of this debate is stating your definition of a god and supporting it with canon facts, then stating why the Q is/isn't a god by that definition.  

Shopping_Spree_101

GunMage04

Adored Cat

14,625 Points
  • Fan Before It Was Cool 500
  • Miasmal Researcher 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:31 pm
Shopping_Spree_101
I believe that Q is not a god. Ya know the Q who killed himself? he said that the Q aren't omnipotent, and if my memory serves me, he may have said they aren't gods. My theory is that they are simply a more advanced telekinetic nonhumanoid speices that can also affect the dimensions including time. Therefore they have created their own dimension, the Q continuum. they claim to have always existed, but perhaps they have merely existed for so long they have forgotten their beginning, and with no one to remind them, and a proud streak that compells them to portray themselves as gods, they have declared that they have no beginning. How many of you remember being born after only a decade or two? Think about thousands of years. Plus with time travel, it's just as good as having always existed.

Sorry, I was just going to agree with you. lol. Quinn, the Q who comitted suicide, admitted that the Q weren't truly omnipotent. But, I suppose you could say that for all intents and purposes, they are gods, at least to us. They have a lot more power than we do anyway, and could do what they wished with us. Untill the human race evolves to a higher plain of existance, they have us pwned. lol  
Boldly Go - A Star Trek Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff