Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Recipes & Cooking Tips
tofu/tempeh recipes

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

kles879

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:08 pm
any one know any good recipes for tofu or tempeh that arn't asian-ish. my family eats chinese food waaaay to many times a week and it kinda killed it for me...  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 6:37 pm
That is what I would like to know.

xBSJGx

Liberal Gaian

deathpixie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:49 pm
A simple BBQ tofu recipe that I like to eat in wraps and sandwiches.

1 package of Extra-firm tofu, well drained
BBQ sauce of your choice

Pre-heat the oven to 325.
Cut the tofu in even slabs about 1mm thick, or 1/2 inch
Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil. Spread the BBQ sauce in a thin layer over the foil. Arrange the tofu on the sheet, then spread the BBQ sauce over the top of the tofu 'til completely covered, put it in the coven and bake for about an hour, though you should be keeping an eye on it the whole time to make sure it doesn't burn.

I love to make a "tuna" salad with tempeh and spread it on a sandwich.
Cut the tempeh into cubes and poach it for about 10-15 minutes, then pat dry. Mash it up in a bowl, then add Vegenaise (the best vegan mayonnaise out there), sweet pickles (or whatever pickles you like) and scrambled tofu. Sometimes I add black sesame seeds and paprika or a pinch of cayenne pepper in it. Just put whatever you want in it that you would put in a tuna salad.

There are two fantastic recipes for tofu that I LOVE and make often. The Italian Marinated Tofu from Isa Chandra Moscowitz's Vegan with a Vengeance and the Cumin Lime Tofu recipe from Dreena Burton's Eat, Drink and Be Vegan. I highly recommend those two cookbooks! They have other really good tofu recipes in there as well.

Also, check out these:

Tofu
http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbrecipes/recipe.php?MainID=1

Tempeh
http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbrecipes/recipe.php?MainID=5  
Recipes & Cooking Tips

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items