Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
CookieDoUgh's Sketch Book!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

cookieDoUgh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:49 pm
Hmm I've been a member of this guild for a few months now but I haven't got around to posting at all. So I guess I'll start off by making myself a sketch book thread.

I'd love any kind of critique on any part of my drawings and I especually like critique on the topics of style, colouring, colour scheme, and technical aspects of painter/photoshop biggrin

[June 19 2007]

User Image
This is a gaia request smile I tried this reworking style ala the amazing sakichan.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:42 am
It's digital portrait week!!

I've never been good at putting life into colour >_<

[June 20 2007]

First attempt: *shudder* I got the body parts all in the wrong places xD

User Image

Second attempt: I haven't played ffxii sad

User Image  

cookieDoUgh

Miki Hikari

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:54 am
oh wow, I love how you color the skin.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:37 am
@Miki: Hehe I haven't really figured out a technique for colouring skin yet =_= it's such a struggle each time xD like i'm going at it blind!

It's gothic & lolita week!!

I'm have this image in my head of a girl who looks shy and fragile but lets off a creepy aura.

User Image

cookieDoUgh

loontje

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:54 am
User Image

Here is a paintover, I went completely overboard with the smudge tool xd

By the way: that Lolita girl really does look shy and fragile but creepy at the same time. wink Her hand looks odd though. Maybe you could try making her fingers longer? sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:52 am
Your digital portraits actually look really good. That being said, I would suggest taking it to the next level and adding cooler colors in the shadows, such as greens, or even blues and purples. Adding purples to the shadows would be a good idea for the blindfolded girl, seeing as her hair is purple. I would also add more, small shadows underneath her blindfold.
You should avoid using pure blacks when coloring, and opt for darker, less saturated tones of another color. You can use almost-pure blacks for places where there would be holes, where no light can reach, like the pupils, or nostrils.
Despite all these comments, your painting are very good!

As for the lolita picture, I don't think your fingers are too short, but I do think the eyes are a tad too big and too close together. Everything else looks wonderful! I hope you color it.  

Arachnist

cookieDoUgh

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:20 am
hehe thanks for the comments guys! I'm so happy that I'm actually getting serious advice for my drawings biggrin

Here are some concept sketches for a crow themed piece I'm planning to do. Not sure how it'll work out. I was thinking just having black and gray on white, but that will probably look too flat.

User Image

User Image  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:15 pm
The first one likes oddly familiar. I can't place my finger on why. Maybe you were influenced by a particular work or artist?

My suggestion for that would be to try and have the character have an objective and a thought while you draw her. It will help keep the blankness of the anime [removed](or lack of it) from creeping up and slapping an otherwise great drawing around.

In the second one, is there a reason her arms are like that? It doesn't seem natural or see to serve a purpose. In any case, I like your painting and your sketch art.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces