Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Recipes & Cooking Tips
alternatives to butter in a recipe

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[[blunt.object]]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:02 pm
Most recipes call for butter, so I've been looking around for some other things that can be used.

So far I've heard of using oil, maple syrup, and apple sauce. I'm not sure if the amounts are the same though.

So do you know, if when replacing butter in a recipe, what amounts to use?
Or if you have any other suggestions, I'm totally open. I plan on doing a series of expirements over the next couple weeks. ^^  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:35 pm
I use margerine at a 1:1 ratio.

Earth Balance and Soy Garden are both good brands, because they're 100% vegan, and have no hydrogenated oils. 3nodding  

DreamerSpirit

VeggieCaptain
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:30 am
That was exactly the brand I was going to suggest, Dreamer. We used Earth Balance when I was in California for the immense amount of vegans we had to feed and it was their butter substitute of choice.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:31 pm

i use earth balance. i was surprised to find it in my little grocery store in the middle of redneck country, but it was there. so you can probably find it somewhere near you. my omnivorous mother prefers using earth balance to real butter or milk based margarine b/c she says it tastes like butter but is as healthy as margarine.

Sporadic_Lyricz

[[blunt.object]]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:01 pm
thanks!!

i'll go check it out.  
Recipes & Cooking Tips

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items