Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Distinction and Use

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:21 pm
Pagan vs. Neo-pagan

as Merriam-Webster online defines them.

pagan
Pronunciation: 'pA-g&n
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Late Latin paganus, from Latin, civilian, country dweller, from pagus country district; akin to Latin pangere to fix -- more at PACT
1 : HEATHEN 1; especially : a follower of a polytheistic religion (as in ancient Rome)
2 : one who has little or no religion and who delights in sensual pleasures and material goods : an irreligious or hedonistic person
3 : NEO-PAGAN
- pagan adjective
- pa·gan·ish /-g&-nish/ adjective
[cite]

neo-pagan
Pronunciation: -'pA-g&n
Function: noun
: a person who practices a contemporary form of paganism (as Wicca)
- neo-pagan adjective
- neo-pa·gan·ism /-'pA-g&-"ni-z&m/ noun
[cite]

using only these definitions, it is implied that one may use them interchangeably, as one is used in the meaning of the other. meanwhile, one is considered more modern than the other.

with use in public, there are those who hardline it and insist on defining both words seperately and distinctly, without using one in the others meaning.

"I would like to make a distinction between Paganism and Neo-Paganism. Paganism really refers to an an old and ancient number of religions that have really not survived to this day in any real inherited way, shape or form.
Neo-paganism refers to a group of religions and religious practices that includes Santeria, Voudun, Wicca, Christo-Paganism, Dianic Wicca (Which is sometimes monotheist), etc etc etc. It's a very broad term." - [cite]

"Let alone, there is the Heathenry vs Paganism vs Neo-Paganism view. Heathenry referring to Indigenous Northern European religions such as Asatru, Vanatru, Senistrognata, Romuva, Slavianstvo, and some forms of Celtic Reconstructionism. Paganism referring to Indigenous Souther European and Mediterranean religions such as Religio Romana, Hellenismos, Kemeticism. Neo-Paganism referring to modern created paths such as Wicca, Goddess spirituality, some forms of Druidry, Unitarian Universalist Paganism." - [cite]

what definitions do you use for either of these words?
do you make a clear distinction between the two?
do you use them interchangeably?
would you apply one in one circumstance but the other in another?  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:46 pm
Because these two words in general mean lots of things to different people, it is best to clarify what is meant whenever needed.

Part of the confusion is that the Neopagan community tends to call itself "Pagan" rather than the more descriptive "Neopagan" or "modern Pagan." I make very clear distinctions between the two, but I also allow a lot of leeway because of the above. I avoid using them interchangeably; I made a conscious decision to do that early on and have stuck to it for the most part. Part of that is because it's academically proper, but as not everyone is an academic, I don't mind if others slip on the distinction.

Usually I define Paganism, in one sentance, as a religious/spiritual system whose conception of deity includes (but is not limited to) polytheism, pantheism, and animism. A single sentance isn't really adequate so in addition:

Deity is generally viewed as immanent, with the divine as a personal force. Additionally, there is often an overarching "Force" that may resemble monotheism but this force is most often impersonal and not related to directly [Example: the Brahman in Hinduism]. Pagan systems tend to use the natural world as one of the primary inspirational metaphors for the divine [Examples: Nature spirits in Shinto, Greek Goddess Flora whose domain is flowers and spring].

Neopaganism, or modern Paganism, is the same as the above only it is a revival or recreation of pre-existing Pagan systems. It may also apply to those who take up a currently existing Pagan system but who have no direct ties to its culture of origin (and there is some controversy on whether someone should appropriately do this).  

Starlock

patch99329

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:44 am
In certain situations, I use paganism and neopaganism interchangeably.
Here you will see me say 'pagan' because most people here know what I mean smile

I define 'neo-paganism' as any current pagan religeon. I don't make a real distinction between the two unless somebody is confused or misguided.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:13 am
I tend to use pagan as an overarching term. Neo-pagan falls beneath it.

Also, I'm not sure I would classify Voudun as neo-pagan. Although it has morphed since its days in the Yoruba, it has one unbroken line from the original. It is chronologically unbroken from the original. However, Wicca or Hellenic reconstruction are both completely modern inventions. They may have aspects of earlier religions, but their current forms have not followed directly from, say, the way ancient Greeks actually used to practise.

That, I think, is one distinction. Neo-, implying new, has to have some sense of being recreated.

Like the Hellenic pagan who has been practising unbroken the same religion since the times of Athens woud be pagan. The modern reconstructionist is recreating that religion. They would be neo-pagan. Both are pagan, but only one gets the prefix.  

Pelta

Sir_Catherine

Paladin Knight

32,890 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Tested Practitioner 250
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:12 pm
Taking into account that I do not recognize most of the religions, pathways and such named, I would have to say phoenix shadowwolf's deffinitions make sound right to me and pretty much sum up how I would use the two terms. Essentially the notion that "Pagan" is old/ancient and "Neopagan" is a modern interpretation of the old or altogether new is a simple way I would lay it out.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games