Reply Rude Discussion
What's happening?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

A Pharmaceutical Bandit

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:14 pm
I've been seeing a lot of anger in the ska community lately. It used to be that the whole ska community liked and respected each other, now it's becoming like all other genre wars. Instead of "I love ska too," it's "only traditional ska is real ska!" Checkers, for instance, once represented racial equality and tolerance, it now seems to represent a target for someone who "doesn't know ska." And I don't mean just on Gaia, I mean in real life also. I'm seeing this more and more.

Is this just me?  
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:49 pm
You seem confused. does this thread have anything to do with your misinterpretation of GuinessSkinHead's thread in the other Ska guild?  

SkaBanana

A Pharmaceutical Bandit

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:51 pm
PyroBiker
You seem confused. does this thread have anything to do with your misinterpretation of GuinessSkinHead's thread in the other Ska guild?

No, just the whole situation in general. I meant primarily in real life, actually.  
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:00 pm
Well, traditional ska is the only pure/real ska. Two tone has mod influence and third wave can vary, but includes a few traditional ska sounding bands, but it's very few.

As for the checkers thing, there are alot of people that wear checkers, don't know it means two tone, they think it's just a symbol for any Ska. And by ska, these same ignorant people think Ska means Reel Big Fish and probably even The RX Bandits. these are the arrogant kids who when you try to explain to them that Reel Big Fish is only ska influenced, they lash out at you.

I'm not saying it's all, but there are too many kids like that that walk around calling themselves rudeboys, simply because they like Reel Big Fish and wear checkered wrist bands.

Ska is something you can mix into other sounds to spice it up, but it still wouldn't be considered traditional Ska, hence why Reggae is called Reggae and not Ska.  

SkaBanana

A Pharmaceutical Bandit

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:01 pm
PyroBiker
Well, traditional ska is the only pure/real ska. Two tone has mod influence and third wave can vary, but includes a few traditional ska sounding bands, but it's very few.

As for the checkers thing, there are alot of people that wear checkers, don't know it means two tone, they think it's just a symbol for any Ska. And by ska, these same ignorant people think Ska means Reel Big Fish and probably even The RX Bandits. these are the arrogant kids who when you try to explain to them that Reel Big Fish is only ska influenced, they lash out at you.

I'm not saying it's all, but there are too many kids like that that walk around calling themselves rudeboys, simply because they like Reel Big Fish and wear checkered wrist bands.

Yeah, I just read the thread you're talking about. That is a good example of what I'm talking about. People like him need to learn to respect all ska as being ska. Music can't stay the same, and if it did, there would be no "roots." Music evolves, that's how it is. Punk now is completely different than punk 10-20 years ago, for example. You can't say that because it is newer, different ska, it isn't ska. Ska is evolving, and that's a good thing.

Ska is ska.  
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:05 pm
So you're telling me if I throw Ska influence into Punk, Classical and Polka, it's still Ska?  

SkaBanana

A Pharmaceutical Bandit

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:09 pm
PyroBiker
So you're telling me if I throw Ska influence into Punk, Classical and Polka, it's still Ska?

No, what I'm telling you is that the roots of ska set the grounds for ska, but they did not limit it.

Newer ska bands aren't mixing random genres of music together, they have evolved ska into something more modern. Maybe it does sound a lot like punk with horns, but maybe that's just how it evolved. Music changes with time.

If anything, I'm willing to settle with "it's ska with some punk influence." Because it is ska, whether you think so or not.  
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:20 am
I'm gonna take Melomaniacal's side on this.
All Ska no matter how different is still Ska.
ETC. ETC.  

Status Quo Joe

King Of The Ska
Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:00 pm
Once again, I see your point, but I don't quite believe in what you are saying.

Yeah, we do have some traditionalists in here, and I am one of them.
So obviously, I am going to be more into Trad Ska.

Most 3rd wave bands annoy me, but I still respect the people who listen to those bands, as long as they know the roots, and understand that The Specials or Reel Big Fish weren't the first creators of ska. ( I seriously had a guy try to convince me that Reel Big Fish was the first ska band before)

People have their own tastes, almost like sports teams.
I could say that I love the Chicago Cubs, and you could say that you are a Yankee fan, but we both still love baseball, right?

Same with ska. My views on good ska are different from yours, but I still respect you as a ska fan, and I like talking to all ska fans, even if our views are different.

Some people are taking this whole waves of ska thing a tad bit to seriously.
We are all here to have fun, share music and expirences, and learn.  
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:53 pm
King Of The Ska

Most 3rd wave bands annoy me, but I still respect the people who listen to those bands, as long as they know the roots, and understand that The Specials or Reel Big Fish weren't the first creators of ska. ( I seriously had a guy try to convince me that Reel Big Fish was the first ska band before)

I could say that I love the Chicago Cubs, and you could say that you are a Yankee fan, but we both still love baseball, right?

Same with ska. My views on good ska are different from yours, but I still respect you as a ska fan, and I like talking to all ska fans, even if our views are different.

Very true, and I do agree with you. It's just when I see the traditional ska crowd lash out on every other ska lover... well, I don't like seeing that. I just want the ska community to be happy! 3nodding

And of course this isn't happening all over the place, I'm just seeing it more than I have before.  

A Pharmaceutical Bandit

King Of The Ska
Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:56 pm
Melomaniacal
King Of The Ska

Very true, and I do agree with you. It's just when I see the traditional ska crowd lash out on every other ska lover... well, I don't like seeing that. I just want the ska community to be happy! 3nodding

And of course this isn't happening all over the place, I'm just seeing it more than I have before.

That's true, and I get angry and traditionalists who do lash out on different ska fans.  
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 6:19 pm
For the record I love all waves of this crazy tasty music called Ska.  

Status Quo Joe

Rude Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff