Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Different kinds of magic(k), and not just one.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SonarP

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:41 pm
Last night, I was watching that Mindfreak show with Criss Angel. And that got me thinking about the question of magic(k).

I think stage/illusion magic has a valid to exist. I'm sure a lot of people say "That's not TRUE magic(k)! He's spreading lies about us!". I'm not saying one is better than the other. I think that Criss and his associates have a gift to amuse people, to make them laugh and not be so afraid of the unknown, perhaps to provide a bit of an escape from "reality".....again, that's just what I think. But this is, I bet, what might get fluffs in trouble....

Here are the types, and what I know of them:

a)Folk magic(k)--This is used to protect the house and the home, and doesn't have to be related to religion.
b)Illusionary magic--This is used with anything along with different types of techniques. Cards, metamorphosis, even the disappearing/reappearing tricks are a part of this.
c)...............I have no name for this type, but I'm sure that you guys know what it is. :3 "True" magic(k), for short, until I find a better name that suits me.
d) Okay, I wasn't sure if this could be included, but I do think that the kinesis-type abilities should receive mentioning here....if they belong in this category or not, I'm not sure. Telekinesis, pyrokinesis and the like are examples. Maybe this is different and should stand alone.

What do you guys think?  
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:49 pm
For lables of types of magic, the only ones that come to mind are witchcraft, ceramonial, folk and hoodoo. I have no ide if any are a type of another, thoughs are just names I know.  

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:47 pm
My society classifies magic into 3 categories, based off where the energy is coming from.

Petitioning: The motivational energy is coming from external, and often ephemeral entities which the Magus requests/demands the intervention from. Practitioners basically ask other things to do the work for them, they often must bargain or hold oaths to these others.

Will-Working: The motivational energy comes from within the Magus themselves and involves super-imposing their will upon the fabric of creation. Practitioners use strength of self, or personal cognizances to enact their desires.

Formulaic understanding: The motivational energy is supplied by the objects be acted upon, by mastery and understanding of principles under which these objects function. Practitioners apply these principles not unlike any other physics equation to produce a patterned result.

As far as prestidigitation or other slight of hand...
We view that as more of a style of acting, or social manipulation, but are well pleased that it is considered by the general public to be "magic" as it can often keep them from looking into the matter any further. So long as they point at illusionists and consider that the summation of mystic effect, our secrets remain all the safer. ninja  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:55 pm
It works. There are always limits to how far any method of categorization can take you. One problem with categorizing is that it can sometimes leave the impression that things are in just one category and there is no overlap or interaction between the two. In some cases I think you might be hard pressed to put some cases of magic into just one category. Or were you not intending you categories to be mutually exclusive?  

Starlock

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:19 pm
For our concerns...
There is plenty of room for overlap.
Just as an electric grid can contain juice from sources both Fossil and Nuclear, so to may any workings be an admixture.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:17 pm
As far as labels go, I've never really understood why people apply them to magic so much. Yes, traditions and religions have their specific appelations, but why be so picky about what a label encompasses?

As Fiddler said, there are overlaps. There are also gaps. What may be seen as witchcraft to one may look like technomancy to another. Labels are a way of making something more approachable, but are by no means the be-all and end-all of magic.

I would suggest that you worry less about deciding what categories things fit in to and perhaps think more about what techniques work for you. They don't have to have a name to make them valid.  

Pelta

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:27 pm
Pelta, we use the classifications for two purposes:
1. So we know what kind of person we are dealing with. The method in which a primary petitioner understands and interacts with their world can be far different from the way a primary will worker would.

2. (and this is somewhat sinister) to know how to gain an advantage over them if need be. Amongst some societies there are friendly (and not so friendly) rivalries... also, some people experiment around, and end up breaking things... it is easy to protect oneself, attack an enemy, and fix something broken, if one understands how it works. 3nodding

Oh, and I suppose there is a third...
My particular society loves to classify, quantify, qualify, and categorize things. You could call it a hobby, or an operational world view. xd  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:14 pm
Fiddlers Green
For our concerns...
There is plenty of room for overlap.
Just as an electric grid can contain juice from sources both Fossil and Nuclear, so to may any workings be an admixture.

i think the type and category and name doesnt matter as long as it works right for your personal uses and experiences idea  

paganprincess666

SonarP

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:46 pm
:3 I just wanted to see what you guys thought of the issue. After taking some time to think about it, maybe magick doesn't exactly have "categories" other than just malevolent and beneficial.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games