Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
What I've done so far..

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SonarP

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:21 am
^_^; Okay, I know it's not much, but a couple of weeks ago I came out of the "broom closet" to my mother and told her that I wanted to follow a paganistic path. I'm still a student, but I felt that I wanted to bring Wicca along in the journey that is my life. She didn't like the fact that I was doing so, but she accepted it and said she would support me. So I told her that any questions she had, she could ask me. I may not know the answer, but I could certainly try to find it. As I'd grow in life and in my spirituality, there would be answers that I couldn't give her because, maybe, just maybe....that could be a breach of secrecy between me and someone else on the other side of "the veil", but for right now, it's just "I don't know, but I'll try to find the answer".
Currently, the only two books I have on Wicca are "Living Wicca" by Scott Cummings (I hope I spelled that name right. @_@) and another book whose title and name I can't recall...I think the title had something to do with solitary witches, self-initiation and the five degrees of being a Wiccan...the author's name is Shandrammon (I know for a fact I got that name wrong. -_- Please forgive me, I'll commit it to memory).
I'm making my ways to adapt a spiritual lifestyle, but keep myself grounded. :3 I have support of friends and family. First, I'm going to clean my room (when it comes to my room, I am a lazy slob. @_@ It hasn't been cleaned in more than a year..) to set an alter. I don't think I can set up a meditational spot, because I live upstairs in a two-story house...so I'll have to find a spot somewhere on my own. And...try to pray to the God and Goddess more often....I also want to start a garden around my house with different herbs, spices and the like. I'm going to have to get over my fear of bees/wasps/yellow jackets for this...@_@ It's not much, but I think I'm on a start.
As of yet, I have not been self-initiated, nor have I done my self-dedication. I don't feel comfortable with the information I've gathered yet to do so. I haven't even started my own Book of Shadows or Book of Whimsy.
Now I have more questions. D: Here they are.

1) If there are abilities that may take years to develop, then does this blow the "year-and-a-day" time-frame out of the water? D: I feel discouraged about this, because I have the feeling that I've got some talents that will take YEARS to fruit.
2) Does Wicca have a creation myth?
3) I've read from "Living Wicca" that you cannot charge anyone private lessons, Tarot card readings and the like, or do it as "a way to get paid"...but what about those who have stores and work in them? Aren't they violating one of the laws of Wicca? Maybe I'm thinking too hard on it....:^
4) When it comes to the God and the Goddess, and other of different lore....let's say Isis in this case....is this sort of a "one for all, all for one" thing? What I meant to say is, would Isis be a goddess not only in her own right, but a part, or even THE Goddess herself?
5) I can't have bad thoughts? neutral I know words are power, but I'm confused on the thought-type thing. -_-
6) A daily offering....this could be almost anything, right? Nothing living like an animal sacrifice, but what if it's....y'know, candy, or something in my room that I've had lying around? Is that good enough? What if my offering doesn't disappear the next day or night? neutral

I'll come back with the books, 'kay? :3 I promise! OH! And before I forget, I found some interesting articles on a site called witchvox.com....I'll put them in separate posts.  
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:28 pm
Scott Cunningham is the name you're looking for. I haven't heard of the other one, but I have ZERO interest in Wicca so I'm not surprised. To answer some of your questions:

1. I am unclear on the practice of "year-and-a-day" as it applies to Wicca. From what I've read, it's supposed to be a time where you learn and read as much as you can, and I think to familiarize the initiate with the "wheel of the year," but beyond that I don't know. In any case, the developing of skills and talents does not end after 366.25 days; it is a life-long goal. So don't be put off by the fact that some of your talents won't fully mature in such a short time frame.

Also, to be a hair-splitter here, being Wiccan in the proper sense requires initiation into a coven. You can still be a pagan, and still be a witch, but not technically Wiccan, since a large part of Wicca relies on mysteries that are not public knowledge and require someone ELSE to initiate you and lead you through. That's not so big a deal and don't get upset or feel bad about this, but tuck it away for future reference. I think you might also want to think on, do you want to be Wiccan specifically (which, while it has its many sects and varieties, is also something relatively specific) or do you more want to be pagan?

2. I don't know if Wicca has a creation myth outside of a vague "the God and the Goddess made it."

3. I don't think it's wrong to charge money for such things, as long as you're not being unreasonable. It's up to you decide if you agree with Scott Cunningham or not.

4. This one is another answer that's up to your interpretation and paradigm. I'll get back to you when I decide if I believe in any deity at all. wink

Your last two questions...they honestly sound like something very specific to one of your texts/authors. Don't sweat them too much. With Wicca (and paganism in general), you generally have to read everything with a critical eye and take it with a grain of salt. This goes double for stuff from Llewellyn (as much as I hate to bash). Most of what comes out of there is of...questionable quality. Not all, but most. Cunningham, for example, is often recommended to newbies. Since they are the biggest publishers in this market, they are going to have the most fluff. It's just something to be wary of.  

Annalixa

SonarP

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:18 am
Annalixa
Scott Cunningham is the name you're looking for. I haven't heard of the other one, but I have ZERO interest in Wicca so I'm not surprised. To answer some of your questions:

1. I am unclear on the practice of "year-and-a-day" as it applies to Wicca. From what I've read, it's supposed to be a time where you learn and read as much as you can, and I think to familiarize the initiate with the "wheel of the year," but beyond that I don't know. In any case, the developing of skills and talents does not end after 366.25 days; it is a life-long goal. So don't be put off by the fact that some of your talents won't fully mature in such a short time frame.

Also, to be a hair-splitter here, being Wiccan in the proper sense requires initiation into a coven. You can still be a pagan, and still be a witch, but not technically Wiccan, since a large part of Wicca relies on mysteries that are not public knowledge and require someone ELSE to initiate you and lead you through. That's not so big a deal and don't get upset or feel bad about this, but tuck it away for future reference. I think you might also want to think on, do you want to be Wiccan specifically (which, while it has its many sects and varieties, is also something relatively specific) or do you more want to be pagan?

2. I don't know if Wicca has a creation myth outside of a vague "the God and the Goddess made it."

3. I don't think it's wrong to charge money for such things, as long as you're not being unreasonable. It's up to you decide if you agree with Scott Cunningham or not.

4. This one is another answer that's up to your interpretation and paradigm. I'll get back to you when I decide if I believe in any deity at all. wink

Your last two questions...they honestly sound like something very specific to one of your texts/authors. Don't sweat them too much. With Wicca (and paganism in general), you generally have to read everything with a critical eye and take it with a grain of salt. This goes double for stuff from Llewellyn (as much as I hate to bash). Most of what comes out of there is of...questionable quality. Not all, but most. Cunningham, for example, is often recommended to newbies. Since they are the biggest publishers in this market, they are going to have the most fluff. It's just something to be wary of.

1) So eclectic Wiccans have no value at all? ^_^; I'm not sure I want to be "completely" Wiccan, but there are some points that I'd like to incorporate as I begin.  
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:01 am
I have found that it's easier to consider yourself a Wiccan dedicant or seeker if you have not been initiated. I have absolutely no chance of being initiated because the nearest coven is practically a million miles away (especially with these gas prices). scream It's not fair, but I find there's no point in my arguing over it.

1. From what I know, the year and a day thing is often used in initiated traditions as the time frame for training and study at each level or degree. There are skills that definitely take time to develop, and many of them would have to be done outside that time limitation because it would be impossible to perfect them in so short a time.

2. I don't know of any specific creation myths in Wicca.

3. It's all right to charge for compensation of used materials. It's compensation for the actually lesson or spell that is looked down upon. After all, if someone wanted you to do a spell for them that required using materials, would you really want to do it at your own expense?

4. This depends on who's philosophy you're working on. Many Wiccans, for example, have the all is one idea, but many of them, including me, are weary of this idea. Some people in other religions, such as Hinduism and Voudon, consider it gauche to invoke their gods outside of their cultural reference. I personally refer to the God and the Goddess without specific names. In the end, this is something you'll have to figure out for yourself.

5. Trying to restrict bad thoughts is a bit on the fluffy side. Everyone has bad thoughts, and it is unwise to deny your own. You must recognize and embrace the negativities in life. Though thoughts are energy, acting on negative thoughts and thinking negative thoughts are not the same thing. Making thoughts into reality requires a lot more work than just thinking them, or else it would be easier to fix our problems.

6. I usually offer anything I find in nature, like a piece of wood. A piece of food works in a pinch. I don't believe whether or not it disappears should be a matter of concern.

Boadicia

Annalixa

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:58 pm
SonarP

So eclectic Wiccans have no value at all? ^_^; I'm not sure I want to be "completely" Wiccan, but there are some points that I'd like to incorporate as I begin.

I wouldn't go so far as to say they have no value at all, but more be wary that Wicca is not a catch-all term, and likewise that initiation is something relatively specific (eg it's rather hard to initiate yourself into anything). Like Boadicia said, you might be better off thinking of yourself as a "Wiccan dedicant" or "Wiccan seeker" or so on.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games