Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Contracts and linage wicca Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Myythren

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:31 pm
Correct me if I'm wrong, but at some point on gaia I've come under the impression one signs a legal contract when joining most linaged wiccan covens. (which is part of why you need to be 1 cool And that it has to do with confidentiality of what is taught and stuff.

I'll do some goggleing now as well but could anyone actually source this for me?

Edit: No luck with the googeling. Lots of unrealted stuff to do with the leagal status of wicca, but that not what I'm looking for.  
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:02 am
I have never heard of legal contracts maybe you are confusing those with the Oaths which are sworn at initation.

As for being 18, Wicca initiates are clergy and one has to have a certain ammount of life experience to be able to deal with what the Gods demand.
There are those that would not consider anyone under the age of 21 for initiation.

Being 18 makes a person legally responsible for thier own actions, in some cases a person is not considered to have reached thier majority until they are 21 and magical oaths sworn before then are not as 'firm'.

21 being 3 times 7 is a magical number after all.  

ShadowSharrow

Myythren

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:44 am
No, they are beside the oaths, to add that extra legal certainty the info won't get out.

Some of the older M&R regs should be familer with it being brought up at least.  
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:00 pm
Myythren again I have never heard of anyone ever being asked or having the 'tradition' of presenting a candidate for initation with a legal contract.
I certainly was not presented with one.  

ShadowSharrow

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:08 pm
I'm not sure about Wiccan covens... however, I am aware of several otherwise hidden religions and mystic societies which demand non-disclosure agreements, such that, beyound any mystical consequences to the oathbreaking, they may also seek legal (read: financial) redress, also, in the case where the mystic society would run background checks on perspective members, there will be ample warning that this person is loose lipped at the least, and should not be trusted with secrets.  
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:28 pm
As an elder of the Alexandrian tradition I can say with certainty that it is not part of the tradition to behave in such a way. That said, each coven is autonomous and thereby can demand different things of their initiates.
That said, if a coven ever did approach you with such a contract, they would have to be lawyers themselves and would be breaking oath to bring such contract breach to court. This is in direct contravention to the ordains.
Quote:
# Law of the Land

# "Tis the Old Law and the most important of all laws, that no one may do anything which will endanger any of the craft, or bring them into contact with the law of the land or any persecutors.
# In any dispute between Brethren, no one may invoke any laws but those of the craft.
# Or any tribunal but that of the Priestess, Priest and Elders.

If a coven were ever to ask such a thing I would suggest you run the other way.
But I have never heard of such a thing in Wicca.  

scorplett

Blessed Regular

6,600 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:39 pm
I can't source anything, but I can say that I did sign a legal contract before initiation. I am of the Kingstone tradition, but I doubt that all covens within that trad do it that way. I was warned of it far in advance.  
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 7:52 pm
[Kudzu]
I can't source anything, but I can say that I did sign a legal contract before initiation. I am of the Kingstone tradition, but I doubt that all covens within that trad do it that way. I was warned of it far in advance.

Was it a legal contract or was it a witness of your handwriting as a declaration of your oath that can be used against you magically if you break your oath?  

scorplett

Blessed Regular

6,600 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:05 pm
scorplett
[Kudzu]

Was it a legal contract or was it a witness of your handwriting as a declaration of your oath that can be used against you magically if you break your oath?

They said it was a legal document way in advance of my initiation. It looked like one. I'm no lawyer or anything, so I wouldn't know what kind of document.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:32 am
Did you have to get it notarized? It's not really a legal document unless it's witnessed and notarized at the time of signing...

That being said, I've never heard of this being done in any Wiccan Tradition before, and if I was presented with one as a precursor to initiation, I'd run the other way.  

Kaylara-Nightshade

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:43 am
[Kudzu]
scorplett
[Kudzu]

They said it was a legal document way in advance of my initiation. It looked like one. I'm no lawyer or anything, so I wouldn't know what kind of document.
Why would you sign something if you didn't know what it was? I can understand not revealing the terms of the contract for whatever reason, but these statements kind of worry me.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:53 pm
As far as my limited knowledge goes, some covens do, and some covens don't.

But then again I could very well be wrong.

Google is my friend. 3nodding

Conan The Barbie Doll

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:23 pm
Kaylara-Nightshade
Did you have to get it notarized?

Nope.

TheDisreputableDog
Why would you sign something if you didn't know what it was?

Because I was comfortable with the writing on the piece of paper. With the amount of trust I put in my coven in other ways, a legal contract may as well be the least of my worries. smile I don't really plan on breaking it anytime soon. smile  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:11 pm
[Kudzu]
Because I was comfortable with the writing on the piece of paper. With the amount of trust I put in my coven in other ways, a legal contract may as well be the least of my worries. smile
Oooookay. smile Just wanted to make sure you actually did know what you were doing; it didn't quite sound like it earlier.  

TheDisreputableDog

Doctrix

Blessed Friend

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:12 pm
TheDisreputableDog
Just wanted to make sure you actually did know what you were doing; it didn't quite sound like it earlier.

Oh, never let me give you the mistaken impression that I ever know what I'm doing! smile  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff