Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Warhammer 40,000 and Tabletop Gaming Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Gaian Home of Tabletop Gaming 

Tags: Games Workshop, Tabletop, Warhammer, Gaming, Wargaming 

Reply Painting and Modelling Discussion
Chrome: Pretty... Shiny... MODELING HELL.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[.Psycho.Doughboy.]

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:23 pm
Okay, here's my ranting horror story.

As you guys may or may not know, it was White Dwarf's anniversary and my GW was holding a little giveaway. For every thirty dollars spent you got to reach into a box and pull out a bag that contained with some sprues. Also there was some walk-in prizes I won, but are inconsequential to the story (Legion of the Damned Chaos Space Marine w/ plasma gun, PM me if you want it, I might be able to work something out.). Anyhoo, I did not have a rulebook yet, and, seeing as my dad gave me $100 that day, I figured now was my chance, and in buying the book got to pull a prize.
Now, I play Necrons, so there's no confusion here. I reached in and pulled out my prize, which was limited edition chrome Necron sprues! I was elated, since not only did I pull chrome sprues, but chrome sprues of my own army besides. I was dancin' around, especially since the previous monday was my birthday (whoot!). So I sat down and decided to model them, and THAT'S where it all went downhill. See, little to my knowledge, the chrome coating on my sprues does not react to plastic glue, and I was only told this after gumming up the works with that stuff. And once I started using super glue it got worse, since I'm not used to working with super glue I got it all over my fingers, and, pulling away my fingers, I pulled the bits with me. I turned around to see the head had fallen off one and rolled away, never to be seen again. I finally finished with them, blessedly the glue hadn't coated the pieces, and they still looked pretty awesome and were highly regarded by everyone there afterward, especially after I glued the green gauss pieces in, even though one of them is headless. You think that'll be penalized in a tournament?  
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:37 am
No. Stick the head on the floor and say he doesn't need it because he's a Necron.

-Mykal

A.R.G.U.S Mykal

Ruric Torrune

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:29 pm
Damn... Thats like my attempt with a half dry super glue bottle... I sucsessfuly glued both my hands to one model, and had to have mother find my nail polish remover to get me off of the model. Do what Mycal said, also look for I think its called zap a gap. It works pretty well on any model I've used it on.  
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:14 am
Zap a gap and this little brown bottle of glue accelrant I got from a hardware spot are what i use for plastic and pewter models.  

King Kento

cyberagent

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:41 pm
Nah! Heads not important at all! Make it look like the head was blown off! Its a necron after all!  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:54 pm
cyberagent
Nah! Heads not important at all! Make it look like the head was blown off! Its a necron after all!

That's true! Ahhh, greenstuff: The duct tape of warhammer.  

[.Psycho.Doughboy.]

Andreis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:11 am
LIVING METAL OF D00000M!
*cough*
Yea that pretty much covers it.
Good luck with that sparky.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:38 pm
Greenstuff head easy! If your not confident with that twist a blob and put it where his head should be and say the living metal is reshaping  

[RX8]

[.Psycho.Doughboy.]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:48 pm
That's another good idea. biggrin  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:08 am
pros and cons of the necrons modeling wise:
Con-VERY hard to glue together
Pro-since they're zombie-like metal, missing some parts on a model would be ok (except for the base)  

MasterofFoolishness

monkey_T

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:56 am
I use Re-Locker its an industrial strength metal glue that my dad uses at work. Warning wear gloves when using though it has to be heated up to remove it if you get it stuck.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:40 am
Put a zombie head and zombie limbs on the necron, in replace of the metal ones. You can say ''Me, Necron? Nooo.''  

Fignuts 2.0

Painting and Modelling Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff