Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
A few things I've learned

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Enelya Silimaure

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:03 pm
Maybe all of this is common knowledge, maybe not. Regardless there are a few things I've learned while traversing this rocky road (no not the ice cream...though that sounds good) called weight loss:

1) It's so much easier if you don't go at it alone. Obviously this is one of the reasons we are all on this board. As great as internet support is though it helps to have some in RL too. Family and and close friends that know of your intentions and support you are always helpful to have. Weight loss buddies you can call whenever you feel overwhelmed are even better, after all, they know what you are going through too.
2) Losing weight should never be a quick thing. This is probably one of the most important things to remember...but also one of the hardest. Once you see a few pounds knocked off the scale you want to see more...and faster. You (probably) didn't gain 50lbs in two months; you are not going to loss it that fast either. Also, statistics show that people who lose weight too quickly typically gain it back just as fast.
3) Skipping meals or eating too few calories is never a good idea. You need three meals and (depending on who you talk to) three snacks a day. You also need a minimum of 1,200 calories a day (unless you are on a doctor perscribed diet that is being strictly monitored)!!! Any less then the above and you will potentially put your body into starvation mode. In starvation mode your body may start to produce something called ketones. Ketone's can be very VERY dangerous to your body.
4) Utter and complete denial of favorite foods/cravings is setting yourself up for failure. Temptation is strong and will always be there. Most people cannot avoid those pulls to chocolate cake, Taco Bell, or whatever their downfall is for long. As I've experienced it, the longer I force myself to avoid these comfort foods the more I gourge on when I finally cave. Instead, try to allow your cravings in moderation. IE; only having one taco from Taco Bell or no more then one trip to the heartburn heaven a month.

Well, that's all I can think of for now and I am supposed to be leaving for Curves any minute now. I'll add more later if I think of any...
Anyone else having any things they've learned?  
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:21 am
So far, my family has supported me. But, now that I've reached a healthier weight, they've continued to support me in the fact that I want to eat healthy, but they don't support more weight loss u_u;; My sister is the only one who knows where I'm coming from because we are on the same boat.

Until now, it's been: "Good for you! Keep at it!"

And now, it's: "You're still eating aren't you? Don't get too skinny."

Dude. For my height and build, the healthy weight range is 105-140lbs. Seeing as how diabetes and heart disease runs in my family, it is incredibly important, especially now that I'm entering my grown up years and things like diabetes and heart disease is becoming more and more of a possibility if I don't get my s**t together, that I maintain a healthier, lower weight. My parents don't understand why I can't just stay at 130lbs, but 130lbs is only 10lb away from overweight and danger for my comfort, so I want to be around 115-120lbs. Still healthy. Healthier than 130lbs. I don't see the problem? If I don't look sickly at that low of a weight, there shouldn't be a problem. Yes I'm still eating, I'm exercising, I just don't want to be a fat waste when I'm older like so many of my family members who proceed me u_u;;

Rar!!

StilettoReject

Enelya Silimaure

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:06 pm
Wow! Though I understand your frustration with your family, I can't help but imagine how nice it would be to have people telling me I'm too *skinny*. It's always been the opposite for me.
I think you're handling it well though. As long as you stop and do not go done in weight so low that it becomes unhealthy you should be fine.

Oh, and congrats for making it as far as you have! What did you start out at?  
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:39 pm
I would understand them better, if I wasn't still chubby sweatdrop I told them my plan, and that I'm going to wing it by three things:

1) How in shape / healthy I am.
2) How good I feel.
3) How happy I am with what I see in the mirror.

I'm trying to keep off the scale as much as possible, but I do do weigh ins once or twice a month :3

I understand that they're concerned with me getting ~too~ skinny, but ~too~ skinny is a far ways away, where I never plan to go x3 It just gets annoying when they try to shove snacks and sweets in my hands and ask me if I'm still eating, especially when I eat basically every meal with them, so they ~know~ I'm eating. And it's not like I go to the bathroom immediately after I eat, so I don't understand why they'd be soo overly concerned about it x3

Concern is nice, but it goes overboard real quick.

StilettoReject

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games