Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DeadlyHiFi

7,925 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 4:24 pm
I've heard these two terms (Skins and Rudies) used in the guild and I'm assuming they are two types of ska listeners. Are they? If not why are there two words, if so what is the difference?  
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 4:38 pm
For the most part, yes. Trojan Skinheads (skins) got their name as Trojans off the Trojan Records label, to distinguish themselves from other Skinheads and usally listen to Ska and so do alot of SHARPS (Skinheads against racial prejudice). Rudeboys (rudies) are also Ska fans and were around longer than Skinheads. The original Rudeboys were Jamaican. Alot of Mods listen to Ska, too. They are a culture of fashion, mod rock and there are alot of them who listen to Ska. Skinheads came out of the mods and are a mix of working class and rudeboys, who were originally called hard mods.  

SkaBanana

DeadlyHiFi

7,925 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 4:42 pm
thanx! that clears it up quite a bit!  
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 4:47 pm
You're welcome! If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.  

SkaBanana

American Skinhead

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:33 pm
I'm a skinhead. Why are so many "ska kids" so ******** ignorant about their shavenheaded predecessors. My people practially invented ska and the majority of "rude boys" nowadays think we're all nazis.  
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:43 pm
potato the antichrist
I'm a skinhead. Why are so many "ska kids" so ******** ignorant about their shavenheaded predecessors. My people practially invented ska and the majority of "rude boys" nowadays think we're all nazis.

True true. People think skinhead is a bad thing.
But I don't.

Besides, I know the roots of ska, and I understand all of it, unlike most of the people who listen to "ska"

And when I say "ska" (in parenthesis) it means new shitty ska.  

King Of The Ska
Captain

American Skinhead

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 1:37 pm
King Of The Ska
potato the antichrist

But I don't.

Besides, I know the roots of ska, and I understand all of it, unlike most of the people who listen to "ska"

First wave and northern soul all the way brother. I bet there are kids on here who have never even heard of dekker or symarip, all they know is s**t like less than jake. Pathetic.  
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:17 pm
That makes me a skinhead too then, minus the shaving of the head. But anyway I ******** hate that people think less than jake is ska. Skatalites is ska, Sublime is the best 3rd wave ska, Reel big fish is good but they spend too much time ripping off other bands with "ska" remixes and not enough of thier own songs, I like thier originals though personally. I know of Dekker but I have to look up Symarip, I'll get back to you on that.  

DeadlyHiFi

7,925 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

A Pharmaceutical Bandit

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:59 pm
It saddens me the way you disrespect other ska bands, and even ska lovers.

All ska is good ska, regardless of how far from it's roots it is. You may not like it, but that doesn't make it any less ska. Without change, ska would become outdated. Change is what is keeping ska alive (barely).

I always thought the ska community knew how to respect other's viewpoints and opinions.  
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:09 pm
Melomaniacal

All ska is good ska, regardless of how far from it's roots it is. You may not like it, but that doesn't make it any less ska. Without change, ska would become outdated. Change is what is keeping ska alive (barely).

I always thought the ska community knew how to respect other's viewpoints and opinions.

I understand where you are coming from, and I see why you would be sadden by what I was talking about.
I still enjoy *some* new ska bands, but I personally enjoy traditional ska and reggae, and this new stuff just doesn't stack up to it.

To be honest, I can't even hear any similarites between new ska and old ska.  

King Of The Ska
Captain

King Of The Ska
Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:11 pm
potato the antichrist
King Of The Ska
potato the antichrist

But I don't.

First wave and northern soul all the way brother. I bet there are kids on here who have never even heard of dekker or symarip, all they know is s**t like less than jake. Pathetic.

I agree in a way. It's all cool if people enjoy their 3rd wave bands, I just wish more people really knew the roots of ska.
I had a guy come up to me saying he loves ALL ska, and I asked him some of his favorite bands, and he said The Aquabats and Sublime.
He didn't know ANY other bands. confused  
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:18 pm
King Of The Ska
Melomaniacal

I understand where you are coming from, and I see why you would be sadden by what I was talking about.
I still enjoy *some* new ska bands, but I personally enjoy traditional ska and reggae, and this new stuff just doesn't stack up to it.

But why the disrespect?
I love both traditional and new ska. I hear plenty of similarities. Sure they added a distortion pedal and a faster tempo... so what? It still has ska qualities, lyrically and musically, and I'm surprised that you can't hear it.

PS: Just give people time, usually the ones who only know of third-wave ska bands are just getting into ska. They'll discover more and more as time goes by.  

A Pharmaceutical Bandit

King Of The Ska
Captain

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:29 pm
Melomaniacal
King Of The Ska
Melomaniacal

But why the disrespect?
I love both traditional and new ska. I hear plenty of similarities. Sure they added a distortion pedal and a faster tempo... so what? It still has ska qualities, lyrically and musically, and I'm surprised that you can't hear it.

PS: Just give people time, usually the ones who only know of third-wave ska bands are just getting into ska. They'll discover more and more as time goes by.

True, and you sir are a good example of a good 3rd waver, because you understand and respect roots. I have NO problem at all with a person like you.

I can't stand those kids who go around yelling " Hep, pick it up!" while wearing checkered vans and a less than jake shirt.  
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:35 pm
King Of The Ska
Melomaniacal
King Of The Ska
Melomaniacal

But why the disrespect?

True, and you sir are a good example of a good 3rd waver, because you understand and respect roots. I have NO problem at all with a person like you.

I can't stand those kids who go around yelling " Hep, pick it up!" while wearing checkered vans and a less than jake shirt.

I can see where you're coming from, and it is kind of annoying when I see people who claim to love ska when they can't name more than three bands. But the fact that they love any ska is great to me, because I know that they will discover more about ska eventually, whether I have to go and tell them myself about other ska bands (traditional or otherwise) or not. And I will admit that I have been quoted to say "you don't know ska," but I know that they will learn.
And if they don't learn, that's still okay. They just won't ever get the full effect of understanding ska.

I started as a guy who only knew of Streetlight Manifesto, but I learned. I can safely say that ska is much more enjoyable when you truly understand it.  

A Pharmaceutical Bandit

Status Quo Joe

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:12 am
King Of The Ska
Melomaniacal
King Of The Ska
Melomaniacal

But why the disrespect?

The urge has come over me to buy a lessthan jake shirt slip on my Slips and Photoshop hep pick it up into the picture >.> <.<  
Rude Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff