Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
Healthy Recipes Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

smoothies are
love
100%
 100%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 8

StilettoReject

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 11:09 am
Have any of you caught Ellie Krieger on the Food Network?

Aside from incredibly adorable-ness, she is the healthy recipe cook on the network :3

I just caught a mini-segment of hers and I thought I'd share the recipe with you guys because it sounded incredibly yummy x3

Blueberry quick fix breakfast:
1 cup 1% / low-fat vit. D milk
2 cups frozen blueberries
1/2 cut low-fat yogurt
1 tbsp. honey
Blend away!

Here's her spot on the Food Network website, or you could just go to the Food Network website and click "Get Healthy."

heart

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:37 am
That sounds good! surprised

Speaking of healthy recipies...

Does anyone know of a good replacement for butter in this case? I love to make grilled cheese sandwiches and they're really healthy except for the butter. You butter 1 side of two pieces of bread, put them both butter-side down on a pan over the stove, take 'em off, and put a kraft single between 'em. I tried doing them without the butter completely, but they didn't get all... crispy? Would that be the right word? I dunno, but does anyone know of anything I could use instead of butter?  

__penguin__
Captain

Divash
Vice Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 2:40 pm
Non-stick, butter-flavored spray. PAM is one commonly available one in the US, but there are others. A one-second spray contains less than a gram of fat. Spray both sides of the sandwich, then toss it onto the hot pan for a little while. It won't get quite as crispy-crunchy as with full butter, but it's way healthier.

You could also try toasting the bread in a toaster, then sticking that with the cheese into the microwave to melt the cheese. No need even for the non-stick spray, in that case.

Another tip: Go for some non-fat or low-fat cheese. Full-fat cheese can contain as much as 12 grams of fat per ounce, while low-fat is sometimes as low as 4 grams per ounce. One slice is generally one ounce.  
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 4:29 pm
I agree with Divash on the non-stick spray :3 It actually can taste better than the butter x]

But I would say go with low-fat instead of non-fat. Non-fat usually contains a lot of fillers and additives and other yucky things, to flavor things up a bit.  

StilettoReject

[subL!ME]

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 5:45 pm
Speaking of quick fixes, does anyone know recipes that are healthy that are healthy and low in ingredients and time?
I have a problem with cooking healthy meals because my family is very unhealthy and lives on either fast food and pizza.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:13 am
[subL!ME]
Speaking of quick fixes, does anyone know recipes that are healthy that are healthy and low in ingredients and time?
I have a problem with cooking healthy meals because my family is very unhealthy and lives on either fast food and pizza.

Actually I'd like that too. If I eat healthy, I have to do it alone - my family won't go with me on this. I'm the only one interested in losing weight. Or if anyone knows a great way to guilt trip them into joining! rofl

Any recipes that are healthy and (cheap!) low in ingredients would be helpful.  

Gravity Butterfly

Divash
Vice Captain

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:26 am
Nonfat "Cheesecake"

16 oz. fat-free ricotta cheese
1/3 C skim milk (or nonfat soy milk)
1 package fat-free, sugar-free instant pudding (choose your flavor wisely)

Blend together all ingredients thoroughly. Serve by the half-cup in cute dessert cups. Garnish with berries, a drizzle of chocolate or caramel sauce, and/or a sprig of mint leaves.

----------

When choosing what flavor of pudding to use, I have a hard time deciding between their Cheesecake flavor (which is perfect for this dish) and their White Chocolate flavor. So this week, I made a double recipe, and I used one of each flavor of pudding.

It's also delicious if you put it into a reduced-fat graham cracker crust.

----------

Weight Watchers Information:

1/2 C of the cheesecake "mousse" is two points.
If you serve it in a reduced-fat graham cracker crust, 1/8 of the pie will be about 3 points, but check the label on the pie crust and calculate the points value for yourself just to be sure.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:35 am
[subL!ME]

By the way, pizza isn't unhealthy. It's just high in calories. Try eating a nice big salad (most pizza places have them, so order one), and then just one or two pieces of pizza. Try to influence your family to get pizza with vegetable toppings instead of the meats, though, because the meats are the fattiest things ever (except the cheese). See if they'll order it with light cheese instead of the regular amount or extra cheese. If not, see if they'll order you a thin-crust individual sized veggie pizza instead of sharing the family pizza with extra cheese and lots of fatty meats.  

Divash
Vice Captain

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

StilettoReject

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:35 am
Divash
[subL!ME]

By the way, pizza isn't unhealthy. It's just high in calories. Try eating a nice big salad (most pizza places have them, so order one), and then just one or two pieces of pizza. Try to influence your family to get pizza with vegetable toppings instead of the meats, though, because the meats are the fattiest things ever (except the cheese). See if they'll order it with light cheese instead of the regular amount or extra cheese. If not, see if they'll order you a thin-crust individual sized veggie pizza instead of sharing the family pizza with extra cheese and lots of fatty meats.

A lot of the salads are pretty high in calories, too, though. Depending on what salad you get, there'll be a lot of toppings on them and most places don't carry low-fat or low-cal dressings. Some of McDonald's salads have more calories in them than some of their burgers x3 I would just ask for the nutrition facts when you go, to look at before you order. Or, depending on where you guys are going, you can check it online and pick something low in calorie. OR you can go on a hunger strike against your family until they start buying healthier food so that at least you can eat healthier x3

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:52 am
Frau Svenja von Wolfsberg
A lot of the salads are pretty high in calories, too, though. Depending on what salad you get, there'll be a lot of toppings on them and most places don't carry low-fat or low-cal dressings. Some of McDonald's salads have more calories in them than some of their burgers x3 I would just ask for the nutrition facts when you go, to look at before you order. Or, depending on where you guys are going, you can check it online and pick something low in calorie. OR you can go on a hunger strike against your family until they start buying healthier food so that at least you can eat healthier x3

Get the dressing on the side instead of on top. Instead of pouring it on, dip your fork into it, then get a bite of salad greens. You'll get the taste of the dressing, but wind up eating less than half of the dressing.

As far as ordering which type of salad, always go for one that says "green salad" or "garden salad," and don't get it with any meats, cheeses, or eggs. It'll be nothing but veggies. For Weight Watchers, that means zero points.  

Divash
Vice Captain

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

NotteRequiem

6,150 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 4:56 pm
I was wondering... what is everyone's take on sushi?

I know there are a bazillion different kinds, but in general, it is pretty healthy yes? Or am I just being thrown into the unknown... because I am In LOVE wish sushi...  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:25 am
Great news, NotteRequiem. Sushi is very healthy.

Rice is healthy. You need a certain amount of carbohydrates per day. If you've got a sushi place that offers sushi with brown sushi rice, it's even better in terms of fiber and vitamins.

Fish is healthy, though raw fish should be kept to once a week or less. It's practically pure protein.

Seaweed is full of vitamins, as well as fiber, so that's healthy.

Even the addition of avocado is healthy. Sure it's a fatty food, but it's got loads of good vitamins in it. Just count each roll (six small cut pieces) as one extra fat portion each day.

Keep to a minimum: sushi that involves fried fish instead of raw; the spicy sauce that comes with spicy tuna rolls or dynamite rolls; and any sushi roll that is rolled in tempura crumbs before being served, such as dynamite rolls. Those add extra fats that DON'T come with extra vitamins.  

Divash
Vice Captain

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

NotteRequiem

6,150 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:32 pm
Divash

Rice is healthy. You need a certain amount of carbohydrates per day. If you've got a sushi place that offers sushi with brown sushi rice, it's even better in terms of fiber and vitamins.

Fish is healthy, though raw fish should be kept to once a week or less. It's practically pure protein.

Even the addition of avocado is healthy. Sure it's a fatty food, but it's got loads of good vitamins in it. Just count each roll (six small cut pieces) as one extra fat portion each day.

Keep to a minimum: sushi that involves fried fish instead of raw; the spicy sauce that comes with spicy tuna rolls or dynamite rolls; and any sushi roll that is rolled in tempura crumbs before being served, such as dynamite rolls. Those add extra fats that DON'T come with extra vitamins.

That is such great news! Thank you sooo soo much for your help... now I have a good clue how to factor it into my nutritional plan!

biggrin  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:46 am
Turkey or Chicken Wrap

1 ounce of turkey or chicken, diced/chopped/shredded
1 Roma tomato, sliced thinly
3 small button mushrooms, sliced thinly
1 C shredded Romaine lettuce
1 nine-inch, whole-wheat tortilla

Going by Weight Watchers, this will be about 4 to 6 points, depending on the exact nutritional content of your brand of tortillas. I also sometimes throw on a little creamy dijon mustard or some salsa verde, depending on my mood. This also takes care of about two vegetable servings, out of the 5 fruit/vegetable servings you need each day. The more veggies you stuff into the wrap, the better.

If you're a lacto-ovo vegetarian, substitute either an ounce of nonfat cheese or a quarter-cup of Egg Beaters or egg whites for the turkey or chicken. If you're a vegan, substitute an ounce or two of marinated tempeh or marinated extra-firm tofu. Marinate in soy sauce, a bit of ketchup, pepper, ginger, and garlic, but don't add any fats or oils to it. Fat doesn't add anything to the taste of a marinade at all, since it floats on top rather than soaking into the tofu (or tempeh or meat or whatever you're marinating).  

Divash
Vice Captain

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

StilettoReject

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:01 pm
NotteRequiem
Divash

That is such great news! Thank you sooo soo much for your help... now I have a good clue how to factor it into my nutritional plan!

biggrin

Just don't eat too much of it x3

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games