Reply Asian Pride -- Asian Hangout for Asian People
Commercialization of Buddhist images

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

itz_tae

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 2:32 pm
Is anyone else bothered by how retailers have commercialized (and I think degraded) Buddhist images into clothing, trinkets, home decor, etc. in Western culture? I'm not Buddhist, but I find it wrong how stores are marketing these religious symbols as just a fad and not really giving the religion the proper respect any religion deserves. They treat the images of Buddha and Gwan-se-eum (Guan Yin) and others as they would any other character from popular culture to be plastered over different products and sold.

Your thoughts and opinions on this matter? Discuss please. (Be mature and respectful.)

I'll try to edit this post later to add pictures of examples. I saw this one picture of a decapitated head of Buddha used as a doorstop once. I need to find that picture again. I think that really embodies how clueless people are sometimes.  
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:30 pm
wtsnap biskuit
i knoooo
it sucks sooo much
lotta people are culturally lacking nowadays
they buy such novelties and have no idea what real purpose it's for and often think of such objects as cosmetics to decorate or some other use
i notice these things sometimes but there's the fact that these are everywhere  

oy1_1

kt_jingle

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 2:06 am
i'm buddhist.
i don't know about the situation there but...
it seems like its rather bad
D:  
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:19 am
we're on the subject of buddhism at school and yeah its kinda annoying how the stores do anything just to make money.. >=(

people are so ignorant and insensitive of other people's religion... Im not buddhist but I hate it when they post pictures of your religion and make it like a new band or artist advertisment or charm.

MeltingMilkBottle

Agile Browser

Azn Fcuk

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:10 pm
Isn't this the same for Christianity? The cross is a popular fasion icon.
I think there's probably tons of shirts with Jesus (pictures, phrases, etc...) on them.

*edit* Christian btw, I don't mind the crosses, I think it looks pretty good. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:46 pm
They just like the Asian culture.

Posers.

I'm not Buddist myself (More to Taoism) so I have nothing on it.

[~Panda.DJ]

oy1_1

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 1:11 pm
yo, thing bout the cross is that the people are actually christian
i still don't get while buddha is depicted as some sort of thick and chunky version when he actually was pretty skinny and half starved to death
o yea, Buddhist by the way
taoism is a pretty crazy philosophy too, i base my whole business mindset off sun tzu, and a lil machiavelli  
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 11:06 am
A lot of asian buffets and resturaunts have them sitting around now.  

Sushi Flavored Gatorade

King Henry
Crew

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 11:08 pm
I think it's very disrespectful. Not only have I seen Buddhist idols being marketed that way, I have seen pictures and statues of Jesus and Mary, too. There is a store in Bellaire that is run by Buddhist monks. The profits from the prayer books and statues that are sold are only used to maintain the store and support the Buddhist temple. Other stores only sell to benefit themselves.

I think that religious texts and such should be solely nonprofit.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 6:03 pm
King Henry
I think it's very disrespectful. Not only have I seen Buddhist idols being marketed that way, I have seen pictures and statues of Jesus and Mary, too. There is a store in Bellaire that is run by Buddhist monks. The profits from the prayer books and statues that are sold are only used to maintain the store and support the Buddhist temple. Other stores only sell to benefit themselves.

I think that religious texts and such should be solely nonprofit.

totally agree, but at the same time it helps a little for people to be reminded about their religion. angmar-sama always tells me that religion is dead and people would ignore it because it's not logic. but those stores that sell stuff even for their profit seem to kindle little of it...>< man i cant belive im definding them point being even if it's worng some times even if it's wrong they help give us small hope in life....>< no in secont thought never mind. dont mind me  

traya sakurazukamori

seichinoyami

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:18 pm
Like the people above, I just think non-Buddhists selling Buddhist trinkets are just greedy and those who aren't Buddhist at all and are buying these for the sake of having them are just people who can't get off their liking for Asian culture even though they're just posers... It makes me sad to be Asian and to see this sort of stuff happening all of the time... crying  
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:13 pm
seichinoyami
Like the people above, I just think non-Buddhists selling Buddhist trinkets are just greedy and those who aren't Buddhist at all and are buying these for the sake of having them are just people who can't get off their liking for Asian culture even though they're just posers... It makes me sad to be Asian and to see this sort of stuff happening all of the time... crying

i know a lot american who went to become buddhists, so not all are posers.
the posers are the anime freeks LOL ^_

as for selling icon to the public mabe, mabe not. in a way you can say it inspiers people when they buy it to go back to their religion. "most places dont have actull church or temple to purches so they go the next big thing."

we all know those who commit a sin well suffer in hell so dont let it get to you ^_  

Angmar01

Lidia-chan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:28 pm
Sushi Flavored Gatorade
A lot of asian buffets and resturaunts have them sitting around now.

Mmmm... most of the Asian restaurants that have Buddhas sitting around, the people that run the place are typically Buddhist themselves.. my dad has a Buddha sitting on a shelf high up above the counter at my family's business...

Sometimes, there are even people that ask to buy it. (It's not for sale, darnit! >.< ... ought to respect the Buddhist culture.)

I'm Buddhist, btw. x.X  
Asian Pride -- Asian Hangout for Asian People

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff