7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
wha?
14%
 14%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 14

cpt_morgan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:53 pm
i know it's fantasy, but im sure there are thousands of Harry Potter threads out there. ah whatever i'll just ask me question ... wondering if anybody was reading the books and if anyone had finished book 6? i know it just came out but i'm DYING to talk about it with someone else who's read it. im not spoilin nuffin!
ninja  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:58 pm
They have to be counted as Fantasy, i think that people steer clear of it in this kind of forum because it has so many threads devoted to it already, but hey i want to talk about it too!!!!

I finished HBP yesterday and i'm DYING just as much as you, to talk about it!  

Cassandra_the_Prophetess

FaeDreamer

Dapper Gaian

1,650 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:34 am
See, what's nice about this forum is that it's relatively small, and only has fairly intelligent people. Having a Harry Potter thread here I think is a good idea, because you can get intelligent feedback and not just "This book rocks!" or whatever. stare

If we're gunna do this let's really discuss the book. I already know I absolutely love heart the series and so do a lot of other people. But as far as the 6th book goes I'm still reading it...I'll let you know what I think in a few days. wink  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:24 am
I also read it. Willing to discuss it...... When anybody else is online......  

Wordstreamer~Nifty Fairy~

Festive Fairy

cpt_morgan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:29 am
yea! whee i was just such a dork that i read the whole thing in 2 days ~_~. but yeah! i love the series! i admit when the harry potter plague swept america i was hesitant. then i caved read book one and from then on i have been hooked! ron has to be my most favorite of the main characters. ^_^ heart

ninja  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:31 am
cpt_morgan
yea! whee i was just such a dork that i read the whole thing in 2 days ~_~. but yeah! i love the series! i admit when the harry potter plague swept america i was hesitant. then i caved read book one and from then on i have been hooked! ron has to be my most favorite of the main characters. ^_^ heart

ninja

I kind of like Luna.

I avoided Harry Potter for about the first two years (probably because I was so used to hating whatever my classmates loved) and then my mother bought me the first one. I read it, went out to the library the next day, and checked out the other two. (There were three out then.) Then I got sick and kept them for a long time..... They didn't like me for a long time after that..... But they are interesting.  

Festive Fairy

worthlesshadow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:03 pm
answer to your questin....OF COURSE...

I hsouldn't read this thread yet...still reading HP....don't want it to be ruined for me yet xd  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:39 pm
Quote:

I kind of like Luna.

I avoided Harry Potter for about the first two years (probably because I was so used to hating whatever my classmates loved) and then my mother bought me the first one. I read it, went out to the library the next day, and checked out the other two. (There were three out then.) Then I got sick and kept them for a long time..... They didn't like me for a long time after that..... But they are interesting.
luna is cool in that kooky sort of way. she has her moments definatley. she adds up to the "wierd classmate" type.
ninja  

cpt_morgan

Takiko-chan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:42 pm
I bought the book today, and I've only read 3-4 chapters. So don't spoil my fun, or someone will face death. ninja  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:40 pm
I was just waiting for someone to make a Harry Potter thread. I, personally, don't see the amazing obsessive allure in the series. I mean, it's not that bad, but it's not so great to get fanatical about. I actually haven't bought a single Harry Potter book for myself. The first three were gifts from my mom's friend, I forget how I got the fourth, and the fifth my grandmother gave me for a birthday present. The fifth book just takes the cake as the worst one in the series so far, in my opinion. I'm sorry, but can you say raging, angsty hormones? Seriously. Harry got mad every like 5 seconds, about the dumbest things in the world. Even I wouldn't have gone that far, and I have a horrible temper sometimes. My favorite was the second, by far. I know not a lot of people like it, but none of the others ever really appealed to me. I still read them, and don't think they're the worst books ever, but I have found nothing in them to become obsessive about. And, no, I'm not just saying this to be "different," or difficult, of just not like things that other people like. As with the Lord of the Rings, I truly just don't like this series.  

NightIntent
Captain

Festive Fairy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:33 pm
I liked the action at the end of the fifth one, but not that much else. It was interesting, but I remember thinking that (a) I have never actually met anyone that angsty (not to say that they don't exist, just to say that I haven't met them), and (b) it could've been all said in many fewer pages. I was happy the book was so long, but I thought that it was a waste of paper. Not the whole book in specific; just it could've accomplished the same purpose and have been shorter. The sixth book is kind of disappointing. To me, anyway. I don't dislike the books--I just don't really like them, either. They're something to read, and she doesn't write them badly, so they aren't really a chore to read. But I'm not going to go out of my way to read them. My mother gets them for me--primarily because she wants to read them, and "getting them for her daughter" is a convenient excuse. rolleyes Ah, well.

And I got bored out of my mind by Lord of The Rings. Which is something, since books almost NEVER bore me. That was the only situation I can think of, honestly. Wow.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:49 pm
I really love the cute, quirkyness of the first 3 books, i didn't start reading the series until the 4th one came out and I got swept up in my sisters enthusiasm. I don't consider myself to be obsessed with HP, admittedly i raced out to get HBP the minute it hit the shelves and finished within the day, i think that was mainly so i could have bragging rights over my sister and best friend! Anyway, i thought after the 4th book the series took a turn for the worst, Harry was a psycho in the 5th and the 6th was a complete waste of time! It had very little storyline, was dark and depressing and seemed to be mainly about insignificant little relationships! I also thought it was too adult, i feel sorry for all the little kids that were so looking forward to it. I'm 19 years old but the reasons why i enjoyed HP have been lost, i think i shall just stick to re-reading the first few over, to dispel the bad taste the 6th has left in my mouth.  

Cassandra_the_Prophetess

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:29 pm
I don't really remember the books any more. I kinda pushed them out of my mind to make room for other books that I like more. The only thing I remember is that the series doesn't seem like something to be obsessed over. Maybe I'll read them again one of these days. Unlikely, but we'll see. And if you think the series is going downhill, just remember: Only one more book. I think. As to never meeting anyone that angsty, I'd never want to meet someone like that. I mean, come on. Anyone who acts like that isn't gonna have many friends. Only enemies and acquaintances. And even I would want to hurt someone like that, and I try to avoid thinking thoughts like that.

Oh, right. I ought to mention. Yes, the Harry Potter books are fantasy. They fall into the category of "never gonna happen in a million years," so they're classified as fantasy.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:33 pm
Quote:
I also thought it was too adult, i feel sorry for all the little kids that were so looking forward to it.

I cant understand how it could be to adult it isnt like this is the simpsons and the characters and readers are in age limbo. My little brother has been reading the as long as they have been out. He still likes them now but he started in elementry and is growing up with the books. I read them in Highschool and am still enjoying them. As far as new readers I think if they have read to the 5th book they have plenty of capability to read it. I was reading Steven King in Middle School way before people were screaming about how harry potter was turning there children into satan worshipers ... evil evil evil
Sorry the point of this rant is that her characters are growing, Harry has had a tramatic life. If he was in a normal school he would need serios councelling and probably medication sweatdrop . But it seems that the answer to being a teenager and having a temper is Ridalin rolleyes , I was just as bad as Harry at jumping to conclusions at his age. All things considered how short tempered would you be if you were always right and nobody believed you. But he is slowly working through his issues. He is growing and I feel if she would have made Harry Potter just another Disney fairy tail it would have been a travesty. Life isn't that happy neither are original fantasy nothing has to be happy or right or pure or good I mean look at the Grim Brothers they are in no way kind and nice.  

Onimaru-Sama

FaeDreamer

Dapper Gaian

1,650 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:16 am
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items