Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
High in fiber, low in chewing?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hello.
  I love you.
View Results

lndigo Child

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:21 pm
Okay. So. I have a TREMENDOUSLY uber-huge appetite.

I've heard time and time again that if you have a HUGE appetite, eating lots of fiber gives your stomach something to chew on, making you hungry less often.

The only problem is, I have TMJ and can't chew a lot of fibrous foods (I've found that fibrous ones usually require the most chewing, which can get painful for me). Even things like healthy cereals and such are just too much for my poor lil' jaw.

I've been seeing my dentist about what to do to get this fixed (getting my nightguard on the 22nd), but as of now I'd rather not endure it more than I have to.

So, anyone know any good, fibrous foods that don't require much chewing?  
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:57 am
I can't help you out too much, but I do know a few products. Weight Watchers makes bread, bagels, muffins, and little cake snacks that are higher in fiber than normal bread, bagels, muffins, and cake snacks. You don't have to chew any more than with regular foods.

Also, grab some BeneFiber. It's tasteless and dissolves instantly in any liquid. I like to stir some into my Crystal Lite, Diet Coke, my milk or soymilk, and also into any type of soup or sauce that I'm cooking. You can't taste it, and it won't thicken the liquid at all, so you won't even realize it's in there. I love the stuff.  

Divash
Vice Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

lndigo Child

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 4:40 pm
Hmmm, really? That sounds like some good stuff. I like the sound of it being completely tasteless-- I'm a huge picky eater.

I'll also look into those bagels/muffins/etc. Thanks for the suggestion!  
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:08 pm
Be careful when it comes to bagels an muffins! They can get pretty high in calories, seeing as how one bagel = 5 slices of bread gonk They're around 363+ calories.

Also, make sure you read every part of their labels. A serving of a muffin is usually only half of the damn thing gonk So, whatever amount of calories it has per serving on the package, times it by two. That's usually around 380+ calories u_u;;

*calorie nut* >>;;  

StilettoReject

lndigo Child

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 1:18 pm
Frau Svenja von Wolfsberg
Be careful when it comes to bagels an muffins! They can get pretty high in calories, seeing as how one bagel = 5 slices of bread gonk They're around 363+ calories.

Also, make sure you read every part of their labels. A serving of a muffin is usually only half of the damn thing gonk So, whatever amount of calories it has per serving on the package, times it by two. That's usually around 380+ calories u_u;;

*calorie nut* >>;;

I HATE it when they do that with the servings! A while ago, I was reading the nutrition facts on the back of some off-brand of potato chips, and their serving size was like, two chips.

I'll be on the look out for calories, thanks!  
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 1:34 pm
lndigo Child

*calorie nut* >>;;

I HATE it when they do that with the servings! A while ago, I was reading the nutrition facts on the back of some off-brand of potato chips, and their serving size was like, two chips.

Yeah I know u_u;; I'm all like "heck yes!" when I see some crackers are only about 70cal (I looove crackers), but then see that a serving is only 3-5 crackers neutral It's so lame.  

StilettoReject

lndigo Child

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 1:39 pm
lndigo Child

*calorie nut* >>;;

Yeah I know u_u;; I'm all like "heck yes!" when I see some crackers are only about 70cal (I looove crackers), but then see that a serving is only 3-5 crackers neutral It's so lame.

Damn companies trying to trick people into thinking it's low-cal.  
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 10:43 pm
I wanted to chime in on Benefiber, it is EXCELLENT for that! I mix it into just about EVERYTHING I make.  

Kipluck

5,850 Points
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Divash
Vice Captain

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 5:10 pm
I love Benefiber, myself. I put it in my coffee, tea, Crystal Lite, seltzer water, diet soda, and just about everything else I drink. Sometimes I mix it into my banana bread mix (I've got a great recipe for that, very low-cal), and sometimes I stir it into my oil and vinegar for salad dressing. You can't taste it at all.  
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:10 am
Divash -- Can I get that recipe from you? :]
Where can you get benefiber, how much does it cost?

[This is Moonecho's new account.]

Stars in my Pocket
Vice Captain

Divash
Vice Captain

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:06 am
Divash's Banana Bread

Wet ingredients:

2 egg whites or 1/2 cup egg substitute
1 cup banana, mashed
1/4 cup natural unsweetened apple sauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt

Dry ingredients:

1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup soy flour
1/2 cup Splenda/ brown sugar blend
2 tablespoons Benefiber fiber substitute
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (mixture of allspice, mace, and nutmeg - optional)

12 servings, 1 point each. 88 calories, 20g carbohydrates, 2g protein, 0g fat, 2mg sodium, 3g fiber, 10mg calcium

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly spray an 8x4 inch loaf pan with either nonstick spray, or (preferred) 100% canola oil spray.

2. In a large bowl, mix egg whites, bananas and apple sauce.

3. In a small bowl, stir together flours, Splenda, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice. Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients all at once, and stir until just barely combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.

3. Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of loaf comes out clean. Turn out onto wire rack and allow to cool completely before slicing into 1/2 inch slices.

For those who are on Weight Watchers, this bread is ONE POINT per slice (but three points for two slices).

----------

For those wanting to buy Benefiber, you can usually find it in the baking aisle or sometimes near the vitamins and supplements, since it's a dietary supplement. It's about $15 to $17 for the REALLY BIG jar. Since one serving is 2 teaspoons, one of those really big jars should last you for quite some time. A couple months, maybe.

When I'm making my daily gallon of Crystal Lite, I dump in about 1/4 C of Benefiber, then two Crystal Lite packets, then a little water, and shake that up in my gallon jug until it's dissolved (no more than 5 or 10 seconds of shaking), then add the rest of the water to make the full gallon. It works really well, and then I don't have to think about adding fiber to anything all day. But you can! You can also put it into soups, sauces, anything that's liquidy. I even caught my friend putting it into the marshmallow fluff for her Rice Krispie treats!  
Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games