Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Fantasy Books Guild
What ruins a good fantasy story? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 8 9 10 11 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Have you read a book that is ruined?
yes
57%
 57%  [ 8 ]
no
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
In a way, yes, but it came out good in the end
35%
 35%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 14

worthlesshadow

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:24 pm
It's hard sometimes to think of what ruins a relaly good fantasy story/novel, but it can happen. Thoguh, I haven't seen any really good fantasy stories coming out bad because of something that totally crushed the whole plot. If you have read something that ruins the whole story...I'm sorry. What would ruin a realy good story?

Post and tell 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:30 pm
I know a few good ways to ruin fantasy books. A couple would ruin any genre of book. For example, having a god-awful ending. That just kills any enjoyment I had from that book. Or a bad sequel to a book. A good first book in a series means nothing if you can't keep it up to that standard. This will sound weird, but a good way to ruin fantasy books for me would be to make it too unrealistic, if it's set in modern-day Earth. For (a random) example: a meteor is about to crash into the earth and all of a sudden little run-of-the-mill Bob, a mediocre spell caster, stops it, gets all the hot chicks, even though he's a fat, greasty, ugly, rude man, and becomes Earth's hero. That's going overboard on my part, but you get the idea. I've never read one like that, but I've seen the first two happen, on a number of occasions. Bad plot points make me cringe, but I won't stop reading it. I mean, if I stopped reading books every time I saw something that either annoyed me or made me question something about the plot, I don't think I'd have finished all that many books. Though if something stupid happens early on in a book, I'll stop reading a book and try to finish it later.  

NightIntent
Captain

FaeDreamer

Dapper Gaian

1,650 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:03 pm
I've been reading a book that I thought was ok; it had some interesting plot twists. But the main characters personality was bothering me, the way he reacted to some situations was completely different than what I expected, but annoyingly so. Then over halfway through the book they finally introduce the potential love interest. He naturally starts falling immediately in love and then completely flips out when she isn't the poor servant he thought she was. (Which incidentally was foreshadowed the entire small amount of time they were together) Uggh....I think when they give the main character an annoying personality that is what kills the book for me. domokun

Incidentally that book is sitting on my book shelf....I keep looking at it going...I really should finish that...then I cringe and decide I don't want to deal with it. *sigh* crying sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:51 pm
NightIntent
I know a few good ways to ruin fantasy books. A couple would ruin any genre of book. For example, having a god-awful ending. That just kills any enjoyment I had from that book. Or a bad sequel to a book. A good first book in a series means nothing if you can't keep it up to that standard. This will sound weird, but a good way to ruin fantasy books for me would be to make it too unrealistic, if it's set in modern-day Earth. For (a random) example: a meteor is about to crash into the earth and all of a sudden little run-of-the-mill Bob, a mediocre spell caster, stops it, gets all the hot chicks, even though he's a fat, greasty, ugly, rude man, and becomes Earth's hero. That's going overboard on my part, but you get the idea. I've never read one like that, but I've seen the first two happen, on a number of occasions. Bad plot points make me cringe, but I won't stop reading it. I mean, if I stopped reading books every time I saw something that either annoyed me or made me question something about the plot, I don't think I'd have finished all that many books. Though if something stupid happens early on in a book, I'll stop reading a book and try to finish it later.

I feel taht example is a great way how to ruin a book. especially some guy named Bob who is fat and and all that stuff. though, there would, for me to ruin it moreover, more fluff crap that doesn't really belong in the story.  

worthlesshadow

worthlesshadow

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:57 pm
FaeDreamer
I've been reading a book that I thought was ok; it had some interesting plot twists. But the main characters personality was bothering me, the way he reacted to some situations was completely different than what I expected, but annoyingly so. Then over halfway through the book they finally introduce the potential love interest. He naturally starts falling immediately in love and then completely flips out when she isn't the poor servant he thought she was. (Which incidentally was foreshadowed the entire small amount of time they were together) Uggh....I think when they give the main character an annoying personality that is what kills the book for me. domokun

Incidentally that book is sitting on my book shelf....I keep looking at it going...I really should finish that...then I cringe and decide I don't want to deal with it. *sigh* crying sweatdrop

thats sad!! I hate that too....it really sux. what is the name of that book? I'd like to read all about it mrgreen  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:25 am
It's called the Dragonbone Chair by Tad Williams I like part of it, I'm over halfway, but it just bugs me. Especially in the beginning the main character is so flighty as to be almost stupid. *shrug* and he doesn't really seem to give the characters the depth that I would expect from a book this long...I don't know, maybe it's just me. sweatdrop  

FaeDreamer

Dapper Gaian

1,650 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100

worthlesshadow

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:13 pm
FaeDreamer
It's called the Dragonbone Chair by Tad Williams I like part of it, I'm over halfway, but it just bugs me. Especially in the beginning the main character is so flighty as to be almost stupid. *shrug* and he doesn't really seem to give the characters the depth that I would expect from a book this long...I don't know, maybe it's just me. sweatdrop

lol, each book is different to every person. sounds good xD i'm sure you can find otehr books taht interst you more than a book that bothers you blaugh  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:04 pm
Of course...concidering I'm reading about 3 other books also....including Harry Potter 6 rofl  

FaeDreamer

Dapper Gaian

1,650 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100

worthlesshadow

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:47 pm
FaeDreamer
Of course...concidering I'm reading about 3 other books also....including Harry Potter 6 rofl

heh. I'm readin harry potter too xd seems pretty good....heard it's darker  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 9:29 am
Too much foreshadowing--when the author foreshadows something up to the point where you actually know what happens before you get to the end of the book, just because it's so blatantly obvious. That's happened at least once in something I read--I don't remember what, but it was awful. sad  

Wordstreamer~Nifty Fairy~

Festive Fairy

worthlesshadow

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:00 pm
Wordstreamer
Too much foreshadowing--when the author foreshadows something up to the point where you actually know what happens before you get to the end of the book, just because it's so blatantly obvious. That's happened at least once in something I read--I don't remember what, but it was awful. sad

ugh. that is horrible. when reading ANYTHING like that, it pretty much is telling you the future, and knowing the future ruins reading the book and finding it out in the exact chornological order. I don't think you can call it forshadowing anymore, its pretty much telling gonk  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:49 pm
I don't like it when a book goes way to indepth with the politics. I love adventure and action and romance, but when you read a whole chapter about the politics, I sometimes lose interest.  

Flux_o_color

Wordstreamer~Nifty Fairy~

Festive Fairy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:11 am
Oh..... And I remember one series, was almost entirely centered on religion. 've got nothing against religion in fantasy, but it went into depth--and depth--and more depth--on religion. It started to bore me, and I finally started skimming through the book. It got better, though. Plus side. xd  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:01 am
Flux_o_color
I don't like it when a book goes way to indepth with the politics. I love adventure and action and romance, but when you read a whole chapter about the politics, I sometimes lose interest.

Really? Politics from certain books can be really interesting. Like Through Wolf's Eyes. It's a really good book, and there's action mixed with politics. The whole plot of the book is about who will get the throne after the current king, whose children all died, dies. I love it. The politics can get a bit confusing sometimes, but it's so interesting. And I don't know why. Normally I hate politics.  

NightIntent
Captain

worthlesshadow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:44 pm
Wordstreamer
Oh..... And I remember one series, was almost entirely centered on religion. 've got nothing against religion in fantasy, but it went into depth--and depth--and more depth--on religion. It started to bore me, and I finally started skimming through the book. It got better, though. Plus side. xd

too into depth with one subject, like religion (neither am I against religion) kinda makes it boring. its like a commentary. ick...commentaries....

pretty much based on all one's particular interest and opinion. 3nodding  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 8 9 10 11 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces