Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Warhammer 40,000 and Tabletop Gaming Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Gaian Home of Tabletop Gaming 

Tags: Games Workshop, Tabletop, Warhammer, Gaming, Wargaming 

Reply Painting and Modelling Discussion
post apocalyptic/ wastelands type terrain ideas?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Battle_Brother_Edward

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 6:32 am
hey all i am starting a desert postapocalyptic table for use in 40k and other games and was wondering if anyone has any input as far as types of terrain or general terrain ideas like small hiller pieces, ive already got large ruins and leaning ruins and whatnot.  
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 10:13 pm
If you're looking for inspiration for such terrain, I'd suggest you rent Mad Max, and and all movies thereof.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Battle_Brother_Edward

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 8:18 am
DarkElf27
If you're looking for inspiration for such terrain, I'd suggest you rent Mad Max, and and all movies thereof.

been ther done that lol i own aobur 20 diffy post apocalyptic movies all the fallout games, even play d20 apocalypse, i was thinking more 40k postapocalyptic wastelands stuff not our world 80's post apoc razz  
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:46 am
I honestly don't see how hard it can be. There's sand, dust, and ruins. That's about it...

-Mykal

A.R.G.U.S Mykal

Mormacar

4,800 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conversationalist 100
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:22 am
A.R.G.U.S Mykal
I honestly don't see how hard it can be. There's sand, dust, and ruins. That's about it...

-Mykal

add rust and you're well on your way 3nodding  
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:38 pm
I feel like a johnny-one-note here constantly bringing up Necrons, but most of their planets are post-apocalyptic wastelands, in the modelling section of the codex it shows a way to take styrofoam and make these cool alien crystals that look awesome on a wasteland backdrop. Other than that, yeah, dust rocks, rust, and ruins.  

[.Psycho.Doughboy.]

Battle_Brother_Edward

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:16 am
[.Psycho.Doughboy.]
I feel like a johnny-one-note here constantly bringing up Necrons, but most of their planets are post-apocalyptic wastelands, in the modelling section of the codex it shows a way to take styrofoam and make these cool alien crystals that look awesome on a wasteland backdrop. Other than that, yeah, dust rocks, rust, and ruins.

thats not a bad idea,, someone on another forum suggested i make it like a watr world that had dried up  
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 12:16 pm
Check the Terra Genesis site and learn how to make slag piles.

I think what you want to do is combine Deathworld (see: Armageddon) tables and desert tables.

A good idea I had once with desert tables was taken from a story I heard about underground nuke tests, where they left huge caverns made of black glass out in the desert. What I thought of doing was building up a crater, then smoothing out the inside with putty extremely well, detailing in things like cracks, and painting it a glossy black.  

Fogcutter

A.R.G.U.S Mykal

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:27 pm
The following images may instill a patriotic booster to Americans, so I've put them as links incase you're susceptible to these sorts of images.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41553000/jpg/_41553914_dust_ap_203.jpg

http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/books/AMH-V2/AMH V2/p460 .jpg

Yes, it's 9/11, but if you remember it, that's a modern day urban warzone. Imagine that, on a larger scale.

Good note up above, how sand becomes glass when heated. You know in T3 when Arnie is sent back (again), and he wakes up in a desert in a glass crater? Stuff like that, maybe.

-Mykal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:24 pm
A.R.G.U.S Mykal

-Mykal

add rust and you're well on your way 3nodding

they're right, there's notin 2 it  

screaming_hawk

nanocharge

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:48 am
Try here.
And here
And last, here.  
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff