Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Why do people fall for Barry's Bait? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

jaden kendam

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 6:51 pm
I mean, come on. Everytime there is a pagan thread or a specific branch of pagan thread, we all know that Barry will give his "any religion except Christianity does not compute" remark. Could people just stop replying to it? It is fine to defent your beliefs, but seriously, when you can not win or even gain any ground, what is the point.  
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:04 pm
I don't get it, either. As a frequent lurker in M&R and ED proper, I read nearly every thread I find interesting from front to back, and I'm sick of seeing people taking his bait.

...Hel, I'm sick of him, period. Every post of his is etched with hatred. I see nothing of his Christ in him and, if anything, he has only turned me away from the Catholic Church even more.

Really, you'd think people would get the hint by now that starter clothes + Latin name = arguably the most notorious troll in ED's history, and they'd skip over his s**t. I really wish they would. confused  

queertastrophy

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:39 pm
When he enters a topic, I leave it. After being on the recieving end of his harrassment, I want no part of it.

Here's something that does help. See someone fighting him? PM them, telling them who barry is, and to not feed the troll. If we actively stop giving him attention, maybe he will go away.  
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:51 pm
Nuri
When he enters a topic, I leave it. After being on the recieving end of his harrassment, I want no part of it.

Here's something that does help. See someone fighting him? PM them, telling them who barry is, and to not feed the troll. If we actively stop giving him attention, maybe he will go away.

I've tried doing that--not often, but I have. The scary part? I've had one or two people PM me back thinking that they'll be the ones to "show him"/"prove him wrong", etc...and then the actual debate in the topic just goes downhill from there.

I think some people just want to be the one to take him down. Silly Gaians.  

queertastrophy

jaden kendam

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:40 am
Another thing I noticed, is that some of the people like having him around. And yet, they do not like having EE around. They say, "when he is not being a jerk, he really knows his stuff." rolleyes  
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:23 am
jaden kendam
Another thing I noticed, is that some of the people like having him around. And yet, they do not like having EE around. They say, "when he is not being a jerk, he really knows his stuff." rolleyes

I still agree with HDC's interpretation of the TOS. He's been permabanned numerous times, and allowed to return every time.

The best we can do I guess is just stick him on ignore every time he shows up again, and hope he just gives up.  

PhantomPhoenix0

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:42 am
He was enboldened by his self-aggrandizing post where tons of people said they hoped he wouldn't go.

I haven't debated him in over six months. I don't leave threads he's in, though; he's a bully and that's what he wants me to do.  
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:10 pm
PhantomPhoenix0
jaden kendam

I still agree with HDC's interpretation of the TOS. He's been permabanned numerous times, and allowed to return every time.

The best we can do I guess is just stick him on ignore every time he shows up again, and hope he just gives up.

When he's not getting enough attention and people ignore him, though, he ends up spamming the M&R with threads that do nothing more than auto-fellate his ego. confused

If that White Power troll is banned after ONE post/topic in ED proper, I don't see why Barry can't be banned after one post, as well. Every user name of his degenerates into his normal racist trolling, so I really don't see the difference. ******** if he starts out decently--we all know where it'll end up.  

queertastrophy

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:00 pm
Personally, I hate giving up on people...
But there comes a time when one must see that progress (if occurring at all) is so glacial as to be negligible, and so infinitesimal as to be irrelevant, that the society at large should not be expected to endure it anymore.
Has he made progress from when I first observed him, I think so... however, a serial killer who cuts down from 5 killings a week to 3 is still a serial killer.
I apply a similar principle here.
I also am concerned that part of this willful ignorance may be done, for lack of a better explanation, for the benefit of the studio audience.

I'm still trying to figure out how he and Stitches can possibly get along in the waking world. confused  
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:51 pm
Fiddlers Green
I'm still trying to figure out how he and Stitches can possibly get along in the waking world. confused
Perhaps they have an agreement like I have with a few of my ravenously-evangelical friends? "We're cool as long as we don't talk about religion; start s**t with me about it and I will gut you like a trout, then scale and fillet you, marinate you in teriyaki sauce overnight, rub you down with spices, grill you, and serve you with asparagus."  

Henry Dorsett Case

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:52 pm
BlueRoseTorn
If that White Power troll is banned after ONE post/topic in ED proper, I don't see why Barry can't be banned after one post, as well.

The white power troll(s) break the rules with their first post. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 5:40 am
Fiddlers Green

I am wondering if Barry is like that in real life. I mean, Stiches seems to be a hard follower of his faith, so would he really want to deal with someone who bashes him at every turn?  

jaden kendam

Conan The Barbie Doll

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:50 pm
redface

...Pardon my ignorance, but who's Barry? From what I've read he seems like a rather loudmouthed fundie Christian, but then again, I've not yet met him or read his posts, so who am I to judge.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:47 pm
Conan The Barbie Doll
redface

...Pardon my ignorance, but who's Barry? From what I've read he seems like a rather loudmouthed fundie Christian, but then again, I've not yet met him or read his posts, so who am I to judge.

He is Catholic. He also loves to flame people, especially while using Latin.  

jaden kendam

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:53 pm
Henry Dorsett Case
Perhaps they have an agreement like I have with a few of my ravenously-evangelical friends? "We're cool as long as we don't talk about religion; start s**t with me about it and I will gut you like a trout, then scale and fillet you, marinate you in teriyaki sauce overnight, rub you down with spices, grill you, and serve you with asparagus."

I happen to like asparagus... especially albino asparagus in a creamy gorgonzola sauce... domokun

My point, however, is that, if Barry is in the waking world as he presents himself on Gaia, I would imagine he wouldn't be even vaguely tolerant of someone of the Judaic faith. Pretty much as Jaden said.

Conan, he is a person who regularly posts in M&R, he is something of a fundie xian (and I really reserve xian for people whom I percieve as trying to take the Christ out of Christianity, he claims somethign about being a "Real" Catholic) who also has some rather strong NSDAP (that's Nazi in the colloquial) and Aryan Seperatist leanings.
He also has become rather abusive and obnoxious towards people of other faiths (or other takes on the Christian faith), and really makes a poor showing of himself.
He exemplifies the term "Troll" in the context of Gaia.
And when his accounts, invariably, are banned for some violation (of the rules of Gaia... which is usually long after any rules of civility are thrown out), he simply makes a new one.

At times he has shown signs of progress beyound his state of catechism spewing bigottry, and is actually a decent source on obscure bits of lore regarding Latin or Catholic church history (if you can dig thru the perspective), but is also extremely odious and obnoxious. I used to hold out hope that he was just young and growing out of this phase of his life (or that he was just a very elaborate and energetic Straw Man that someone was using to satirize xian fundies.) but have become rather weary of the whole matter.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff