Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply ----::::The FISH Tank::::----
Poor GoldFishies!!! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you think goldfish get less care then they should?
  Yes
  Suppose they should...
  Nah! the'll be fine swimin in their poop!
View Results

xLandSharkx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:50 pm
My teacher has a fish tank. And I noticed they were dying!! So it was really funny Cuz I told him how to run his fish tank. I did it nicely though i wasn't mean. But it made me relize something. The common goldfish is probably the most un - cared for fish. No filteration you can use tape water and no pump. Unlike betta's and guppys gold fish need a little more care don't they? Please do the poll to!! biggrin

....I wanted to steal his fish.....  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:40 pm
Actually, they don't need much more care than bettas or guppies. They can take oxygen from the air like bettas. But they do need their water changed more often than every other fish out there in this world. 3nodding
They can take the tap, unless you have really really really bad tap. sweatdrop  

BluDragon35
Vice Captain

Wealthy Sex Symbol

7,200 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

xLandSharkx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:50 pm
I know that they can obtain oxygen like bettas but from what i've noticed they get dirty faster. I gotta say i've had bettas that are alot cleaner then the goldfish i've had.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:02 pm
Well yah, that's why they need more water changes than other fish....any other fish. The goldfish are the dirtiest, most waste producing fish that I know of.  

BluDragon35
Vice Captain

Wealthy Sex Symbol

7,200 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Fable Fae

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:51 pm
BluDragon35
Actually, they don't need much more care than bettas or guppies. They can take oxygen from the air like bettas. But they do need their water changed more often than every other fish out there in this world. 3nodding

Any fish will gasp desperately at the water's surface to try and get some air when the water they live in has low oxygen levels. This doesn't mean they can breathe atmospheric oxygen like a labyrinth fish.

I don't believe goldfish have a labyrinth, and if they do then this fact has been kept well hidden from me. xd

Where did you hear that they can breathe air? O:

Goldfish are oxygen-hungry fish that need a bit more attention than betta as far as water quality is concerned. If you have a healthy, cycled tank that isn't over crowded then you don't have to worry too much--but unfortunately most people have no idea how different goldfish are to other fish and because of that goldies sort of get the short end of the stick. ):

I use tap water for all of my aquariums, but I always always always treat it with a dechlorinator first to get rid of chlorine and chloramines, which are both extremely harmful to fish. I also use aquarium salt to add some natural electrolytes to the water which is v. nice for the fish and keeps them healthier.

Some people buy special water for their aquariums, but that's just way too many gallons for me to afford haha. I don't think it's necessary though, IMHO. As long as the PH and etc. is agreeable with your fish, treated tapwater is just fine :D (Unless you have some ridonkulasly fragile fish that needs the water to be EXACTLY LIKE THE WATER FROM IT'S MOTHERLAND.. MOTHAAAH LAAAAAAAAAND! *pumps fist in air* 8<

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:00 pm
Sobbing Starlight
BluDragon35

Any fish will gasp desperately at the water's surface to try and get some air when the water they live in has low oxygen levels. This doesn't mean they can breathe atmospheric oxygen like a labyrinth fish.

I don't believe goldfish have a labyrinth, and if they do then this fact has been kept well hidden from me. xd

Goldfish are oxygen-hungry fish that need a bit more attention than betta as far as water quality is concerned. If you have a healthy, cycled tank that isn't over crowded then you don't have to worry too much--but unfortunately most people have no idea how different goldfish are to other fish and because of that goldies sort of get the short end of the stick. ):

I use tap water for all of my aquariums, but I always always always treat it with a dechlorinator first to get rid of chlorine and chloramines, which are both extremely harmful to fish. I also use aquarium salt to add some natural electrolytes to the water which is v. nice for the fish and keeps them healthier.

Some people buy special water for their aquariums, but that's just way too many gallons for me to afford haha. I don't think it's necessary though, IMHO. As long as the PH and etc. is agreeable with your fish, treated tapwater is just fine :D (Unless you have some ridonkulasly fragile fish that needs the water to be EXACTLY LIKE THE WATER FROM IT'S MOTHERLAND.. MOTHAAAH LAAAAAAAAAND! *pumps fist in air* 8<
Okies, they don't have a labyrinth, but they can survive in non circulated water, so long as the water is cold. The colder the water the more saturated oxygen in the water. So they can go longer without the circulation. By the time the oxygen runs out the water should be long due for a change because goldfish are poop factories. Sorry for trying to make it simple with a sorta wrong answer. xp

On a side note. My coworkers did an experiment. You know those bags used to transport fish from the store to your house? They kept a goldfish in the bag for over a week. And at the end it was still fine. We do use pure oxygen to fill the bags though, so that has an effect, but over a week is still pretty impressive.  

BluDragon35
Vice Captain

Wealthy Sex Symbol

7,200 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Fable Fae

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:21 pm
BluDragon35
Sobbing Starlight
BluDragon35

Okies, they don't have a labyrinth, but they can survive in non circulated water, so long as the water is cold. The colder the water the more saturated oxygen in the water. So they can go longer without the circulation. By the time the oxygen runs out the water should be long due for a change because goldfish are poop factories. Sorry for trying to make it simple with a sorta wrong answer. xp

On a side note. My coworkers did an experiment. You know those bags used to transport fish from the store to your house? They kept a goldfish in the bag for over a week. And at the end it was still fine. We do use pure oxygen to fill the bags though, so that has an effect, but over a week is still pretty impressive.

Well, what exactly does your coworker consider fine? xd

Goldfish are super hardy, so it would probably be fine for a short period of time, however it can't very well live it's entire life like that. There would definately be problems with a fish kept like that for any extended period of time. If your coworker checked the ammonia and nitrite levels I'm sure they'd find it a bit on the toxic side after only a week. >.>;

A goldfish can survive under mindblowing situations, but they certainly are not going to be very healthy or pretty fish.

And about goldfish living in non-circulated water, I wouldn't suggest keeping them like that unless they are in a dormant state, where they are not fed at all, and the water is changed religiously, if not obsessively, once or twice a week. (And only if you HAVE to.) They shouldn't really be kept like that for any extended period of time (if you are looking to have healthy, presentable goldfish that is). I don't know, maybe I'm just a freak when it comes to goldfish or something (I probably am xd ), but I just can't handle the idea of NOT circulating and filtering your goldfish's water.

I feel that goldfish not only need the essential basics of water circulation, but adequate mechanical and biological filtration. Goldfish can survive terrible conditions for a very long time, I know this from my earlier experiences with goldfish, before I became more deticated to the hobby--but they shouldn't have to.

Yes, they can survive it, but not for even a fraction of what their life expectancy is. The bad condition of not only uncirculated, but unfiltered water wears on the fish and leaves them prone to bacterial infection and disease.

I don't feel as if you can constantly keep goldfish in very cold water. Yes, common goldfish and some koi can live in super cold water, but only for the few winter months in which they live in dormancy without food if we are talking outdoor goldfish. (Even then there is at least some circulation to prevent the ice from completely covering the surface of the water, otherwise you'd stop the exchanging of gasses.) The colder the water is, the slower their metabolism becomes. If you try and feed the fish during this time the food will just rot in their gut and they will become sick/die. Sad stuff. ):

The healthiest goldfish have a slowly changing temperature throughout the year as the seasons change. Unfortunately I can't provide my fish with this, since inside my house generally stays the same temperature. However, they seem happy enough with the change between 60 degree water in the autumn/winter and 70-75 degree water in the spring/summer and the smallest bit of a temp drop at night. xd

I'm not as knowledgable as some people are when it comes to fish, but I have done things the "right" way and I have also done them the "wrong" way--I can definately tell the difference in the quality of life. :3

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 2:44 am
OMG! (sorry if this is off-topic)

i didn't know that this guild is still alive! I was thinking of selling this guild yet there are actually new posts! eek

Majah
Captain

Blessed Seeker

5,450 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

BluDragon35
Vice Captain

Wealthy Sex Symbol

7,200 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:20 am
Sobbing Starlight

Well, what exactly does your coworker consider fine? xd

Goldfish are super hardy, so it would probably be fine for a short period of time, however it can't very well live it's entire life like that. There would definately be problems with a fish kept like that for any extended period of time. If your coworker checked the ammonia and nitrite levels I'm sure they'd find it a bit on the toxic side after only a week. >.>;

A goldfish can survive under mindblowing situations, but they certainly are not going to be very healthy or pretty fish.

And about goldfish living in non-circulated water, I wouldn't suggest keeping them like that unless they are in a dormant state, where they are not fed at all, and the water is changed religiously, if not obsessively, once or twice a week. (And only if you HAVE to.) They shouldn't really be kept like that for any extended period of time (if you are looking to have healthy, presentable goldfish that is). I don't know, maybe I'm just a freak when it comes to goldfish or something (I probably am xd ), but I just can't handle the idea of NOT circulating and filtering your goldfish's water.

I feel that goldfish not only need the essential basics of water circulation, but adequate mechanical and biological filtration. Goldfish can survive terrible conditions for a very long time, I know this from my earlier experiences with goldfish, before I became more deticated to the hobby--but they shouldn't have to.

Yes, they can survive it, but not for even a fraction of what their life expectancy is. The bad condition of not only uncirculated, but unfiltered water wears on the fish and leaves them prone to bacterial infection and disease.

I don't feel as if you can constantly keep goldfish in very cold water. Yes, common goldfish and some koi can live in super cold water, but only for the few winter months in which they live in dormancy without food if we are talking outdoor goldfish. (Even then there is at least some circulation to prevent the ice from completely covering the surface of the water, otherwise you'd stop the exchanging of gasses.) The colder the water is, the slower their metabolism becomes. If you try and feed the fish during this time the food will just rot in their gut and they will become sick/die. Sad stuff. ):

The healthiest goldfish have a slowly changing temperature throughout the year as the seasons change. Unfortunately I can't provide my fish with this, since inside my house generally stays the same temperature. However, they seem happy enough with the change between 60 degree water in the autumn/winter and 70-75 degree water in the spring/summer and the smallest bit of a temp drop at night. xd

I'm not as knowledgable as some people are when it comes to fish, but I have done things the "right" way and I have also done them the "wrong" way--I can definately tell the difference in the quality of life. :3
Lol, I'm not saying that goldfish should live like that. I was just trying to say that they can. wink

I totally agree with you that goldfish should be treated better than they do. When I used to work at the fish store I tried to convince all the parents that just wanted a goldfish and a bowl to get a tank and filter. 3nodding

And to answer your question, the ammonia and nitrite levels were in acceptable levels. No feeding = no waste = no toxic levels of ammonia. xp
The experiment was to just show how long a fish could go in the bag.  
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:23 am
Majah
OMG! (sorry if this is off-topic)

i didn't know that this guild is still alive! I was thinking of selling this guild yet there are actually new posts! eek
Well..it isn't thriving...but there's a small pulse. xd  

BluDragon35
Vice Captain

Wealthy Sex Symbol

7,200 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Fable Fae

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:40 pm
BluDragon35
Lol, I'm not saying that goldfish should live like that. I was just trying to say that they can. wink

I totally agree with you that goldfish should be treated better than they do. When I used to work at the fish store I tried to convince all the parents that just wanted a goldfish and a bowl to get a tank and filter. 3nodding

And to answer your question, the ammonia and nitrite levels were in acceptable levels. No feeding = no waste = no toxic levels of ammonia. xp
The experiment was to just show how long a fish could go in the bag.

Well, that's right, if the fish was not fed the ammonia shouldn't be very high (although ammonia should have been found, as goldfish put off strange things upon their own accord without needing to be fed).

What I don't understand is why they decided they needed to conduct this experiment for themselves in the first place. It seems uneccessary, since most people know what a goldfish is capable of surviving. If he needed to prove it to someone, he could have just as easily pointed to some text in a book, right? I just feel sorry for the fish. XD;

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:24 pm
Uh...let's just say that some customers can be very hard headed....  

BluDragon35
Vice Captain

Wealthy Sex Symbol

7,200 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Fable Fae

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 12:38 am
BluDragon35
Uh...let's just say that some customers can be very hard headed....

The thought of working in a fish shop and dealing with those types of customers makes me shudder burning_eyes  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:59 am
Uh i feed goldfish to other fish i hate goldfish!  

fishguy6

Fable Fae

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:45 pm
fishguy6
Uh i feed goldfish to other fish i hate goldfish!

You feed goldfish to your fish? I know a lot of people use "feeder" goldfish to feed their bigger fish, but personally I think there are much healthier options. Feeder fish can pass on disease and parasites that can endanger the health of your aquarium and the things that live in it.

If I had a carnivorous fish I would want to feed it store-bought squid or fish and keep the unused portion in my freezer (or eat it myself :rofl ) rather than feeding my fish a goldfish. They would get better nutrition from the squid or fish.

Also, it kind of makes me sad to see a fishkeeper saying they hate a certain kind of fish. Disliking it, or not wishing to own a certain fish I can understand, but hating it? Just sounds a little extreme to me. xd  
----::::The FISH Tank::::----

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff