Welcome to Gaia! ::

Friends of English Magic - for readers and fans of fantasy

Back to Guilds

A guild for fans of fantasy books - we have discussions, contests, and games! 

Tags: english, fantasy, magic, book, scifi 

Reply dead threads - do not post
The Lay of the Drow ~ Verse One

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Thranduil_of_Greenwood

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:40 pm
Okay I won't say too much to ruin the story. This was written awhile ago to give a history to a RP character of mine. I found it recently decided that this isn't really something I just want to sit there and gather cyber dust. I'll start out with the history and if you care to see more I will carry on the story.
Summary-An outcast Drow prince works through his life of exile.
Genre- Fantasy
Rating- PG-13 for some language and violence

~The Lay of the Drow~
Nosever-Si, si is in the drow tongue prince. Nosever was a prince of drows or born to be so on the Isle of Fire. The drows or dark elves are creatures of the night. They hate the light, not as you would assume because they are evil soulless creatures but mainly because of their eyes. They are nocturnal beings as mentioned before, and being such, there eyes are yellow and set for seeing at night, the sun hurts there eyes so, so naturally they avoid it. They do however love dearly the moon and starlight. I will tell you a bit about their appearance so you do not become alarmed upon seeing one and can say "Oh, it is a drow, nothing to fear."

Drows have a stature much like Elves. They are tall, fair in the face (in their own wild way) and have pointed ears. There skin however is quite dark almost a grey hue. There eyes are a bit bigger then Elves or men and as I have mentioned to you yellowish gold, and quite excellent for night seeing. Their teeth are fanged, and their hair, usually long, is whiteish silver.

The drows are more of a wildish race, as you would expect of the ancient indigenous people of your own land. They are close with the land, and heaven's field of stars, and many of the animals that walk under it. Though they do have their rough points which are unfortunately rougher then most races'. They are a wild race and refuse to give that up, slightly crude even and rash in actions. They kill a bit too quickly and are too quick tempered.

They stay away from Elves feeling estranged from the race, and stay far away from men. Men develop too quickly the build noisy annoying towns, dark elves are not fond of such places. So now I hope you may understand the race a bit better, and so now our story I may weave.

Nosever was born to be a prince of Drows. In the heart of the darkness of Isle of Fire dwell and thrive his race. Now dark elves care much for members of their race and even more so of their family. Nosever was very close to his father and mother, he was their only child. Now though dark elves have no problem killing members of another race, it is the highest crime among them to kill another drow who has committed no wrong.

Upon his 20th birthday when he would be soon taking his throne, a problem arose... when a new king is ready to take the throne a Shaman must deem that he is ready, never before had an prince been labeled unready to take the throne, until Nosever was. Then something worse happened Nosever killed his father and mother in order to force himself into the throne.

Or so it seemed, yet Nosever was not truly to blame. In the last kingdom of Dark elves lived a Drow named Kano. Kano was a trusted servant in the palace. Kano was also insane, he watched his parents die of a disease that Elves had a cure for, but the drows refused it to be brought into their community and his parents refused to leave, and so they died. It was Nosever's father that refused Kano to bring the medicine.

Kano decided the dark elves needed a new leader who would open them up to the world. He waited for his chance and at Nosever's shocking denial of the throne the perfect chance arose. The king and queen he easily slaughtered an blamed on Nosever. Nosever had no way to defend himself, no one else had motive it seemed so Nosever was stripped of his royal title and banned under penalty of death from the kingdom of the drows.

Nosever was broken, he had been a kind drow who loved his parents dearly. Now his world was broken. As he made his final trek from the village Kano whispered in his hear what he had done.
Now as I have told you before dark elves are rash creatures and without thinking Nosever cried out and tried to claim Kano's life. The other drows saw this is a cold blooded attempt of kinslaying. And so they sought to give him death Nosever realized his folly and ran.
He escaped with only his life.

Sorry if there any random ='s in the story for some reason Gaia turned Word's apostrophes into equal signs... confused Strange bird  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:13 pm

...whoa. eek Complexxxxxxx. (But amazingly awesome coming from you, as always! blaugh )  

Lhia Dunwaith

Thranduil_of_Greenwood

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:31 pm
Perhaps too complex? Should I try to take it down a notch in further chapters?  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:26 pm
Thranduil_of_Greenwood
Okay I won't say too much to ruin the story. This was written awhile ago to give a history to a RP character of mine. I found it recently decided that this isn't really something I just want to sit there and gather cyber dust. I'll start out with the history and if you care to see more I will carry on the story.

~The Lay of the Drow~
Nosever-Si, si is in the drow tongue prince. Nosever was a prince of drows or born to be so on the Isle of Fire. The drows or dark elves are creatures of the night. They hate the light, not as you would assume because they are evil soulless creatures but mainly because of their eyes. They are nocturnal beings as mentioned before, and being such, there eyes are yellow and set for seeing at night, the sun hurts there eyes so, so naturally they avoid it. They do however love dearly the moon and starlight. I will tell you a bit about their appearance so you do not become alarmed upon seeing one and can say "Oh, it is a drow, nothing to fear."
Drows have a stature much like Elves. They are tall, fair in the face (in their own wild way) and have pointed ears. There skin however is quite dark almost a grey hue. There eyes are a bit bigger then Elves or men and as I have mentioned to you yellowish gold, and quite excellent for night seeing. Their teeth are fanged, and their hair, usually long, is whiteish silver. The drows are more of a wildish race, as you would expect of the ancient indigenous people of your own land. They are close with the land, and heaven's field of stars, and many of the animals that walk under it. Though they do have their rough points which are unfortunately rougher then most races'. They are a wild race and refuse to give that up, slightly crude even and rash in actions. They kill a bit too quickly and are too quick tempered. They stay away from Elves feeling estranged from the race, and stay far away from men. Men develop too quickly the build noisy annoying towns, dark elves are not fond of such places. So now I hope you may understand the race a bit better, and so now our story I may weave.
Nosever was born to be a prince of Drows. In the heart of the darkness of Isle of Fire dwell and thrive his race. Now dark elves care much for members of their race and even more so of their family. Nosever was very close to his father and mother, he was their only child. Now though dark elves have no problem killing members of another race, it is the highest crime among them to kill another drow who has committed no wrong. Upon his 20th birthday when he would be soon taking his throne, a problem arose... when a new king is ready to take the throne a Shaman must deem that he is ready, never before had an prince been labeled unready to take the throne, until Nosever was. Then something worse happened Nosever killed his father and mother in order to force himself into the throne.
Or so it seemed, yet Nosever was not truly to blame. In the last kingdom of Dark elves lived a Drow named Kano. Kano was a trusted servant in the palace. Kano was also insane, he watched his parents die of a disease that Elves had a cure for, but the drows refused it to be brought into their community and his parents refused to leave, and so they died. It was Nosever's father that refused Kano to bring the medicine. Kano decided the dark elves needed a new leader who would open them up to the world. He waited for his chance and at Nosever's shocking denial of the throne the perfect chance arose. The king and queen he easily slaughtered an blamed on Nosever. Nosever had no way to defend himself, no one else had motive it seemed so Nosever was stripped of his royal title and banned under penalty of death from the kingdom of the drows.
Nosever was broken, he had been a kind drow who loved his parents dearly. Now his world was broken. As he made his final trek from the village Kano whispered in his hear what he had done.
Now as I have told you before dark elves are rash creatures and without thinking Nosever cried out and tried to claim Kano's life. The other drows saw this is a cold blooded attempt of kinslaying. And so they sought to give him death Nosever realized his folly and ran.
He escaped with only his life.

Sorry if there any random ='s in the story for some reason Gaia turned Word's apostrophes into equal signs... confused Strange bird

I loved it, but my eyes would greatly apreaciate it if you could space your paragraphs a bit. I liked the history atmosphere of it; it suited the theme very well.  

NovaKing

Lady Pole
Crew

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 3:42 pm
I think this is wonderful, and not too complicated at all. I agree with NovaKing about the writing style. I think it sets the mood nicely for an epic sort of story.

Definitely continue - it's a good story!  
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 1:18 pm
1st Verse: Under mystic leaves

Come walk with me in the twilight
The stars will watch for you
Come be again in my sight
The moonbeams will dance for you

But under this lock of leaves
I may not get to you
Because not even night may pierce through....

Nosever sat under the great boughs of an ancient tree, closing his golden eyes he took in the night around him. The warm breeze of the evening flowed against his dark skin, whisking his silver strands of hair slightly; he breathed in the air, smelling of summer and green things, and of water, and he smiled at the sound of the crickets singing softly.
But then he opened his eyes, and the thought rose into his heart and mind: this may be paradise, but it wasn’t home. He could never go there again. It had been years since the bitter betrayal, and by now they would have forgotten his face, they would have wiped from records. He was ever a Si, a prince, but they would have forgotten who he truly was. All his people, his friends, his kin, his beloved race, would remember was a lie, a twisted, false version of him. Where once his name brought pride, it would now bring disgrace, and it made his heart constrict and his stomach twist for all his helplessness.
“Where did you go?” he breathed. “My destiny, my luck, where did you fly to and why did you leave me so shamed and alone?”
Nosever swung off the bough, landing on the green carpet of foliage of the deep forest. In the Drows’ tongue there was no name for it, and so he left it nameless. Like his old home, his true home of Halfang Forest, it was a great forest: old, a memory, with a canopy that kept it shrouded in eternal night; but in the Nameless forest the night was calm and gentle, and fireflies forever kept it light, like endless twilight. Halfang had been constant night: it was black, and all but those blessed with sight for the darkness were lost in it, and fell to despair and death. Still, it had been home, and while a terror for a man it was good for a dark elf, whose terror came in the bright light of the sun.

Why am I thinking of it again? Why do I keep running it through my mind? It just makes me sick.... the night is fair, and I should appreciate it for now, because soon, when night dawns on the rest of the world, I must rise up and do my work.
He walked soundlessly on the soft floor of the wood, humming softly to himself as his fingers caressed the curves of the twin daggers strapped to his waist. Nosever was something impressive despite his disgrace. He was tall, built slender but slightly muscular, fitting to his form. Long silver hair ran down his back and large golden eyes perceived the darkness, though he was young in face even by Elvish standards. He walked with the pride of his royal blood, though taken it was, and he held his head high. He, at least, knew who he was. His clothes were grey, much the same hue of his skin: he wore a sleeveless tunic covered by a worn leather jerkin, which seemed to join with pants made of the same material. Around his waist hung a belt, loosely slinging a curved Drowish dagger on each hip. He wore armor, though it was very light: thin plates over each shoulder, and beautifully intricate armguards, upon which silver was fashioned as boughs of thorn trees crossing over and under each other, over a darker metal plate that covered his forearms. Each ear was pierced by a small golden ring: a sign of his former position. But that was no more, he reminded himself constantly. Now he was a thief and an assassin.

The Drow was so immersed in his thoughts, he forgot the forest around him and was startled when his usually soundless steps were abruptly announced.
Crack.
Nosever looked down quickly and saw, snapped underfoot, a huge feather of deep brown and scarlet. He picked it up cautiously and then tightened up as a presence came to him that had not been there before. He sniffed the air: there was someone else there, someone who smelled of the evil Isle of Fire. He took in the scent one more time, picking up the blood of a woman. His long pointed ears pricked up, and he drew his lip back in a slight snarl. He moved carefully forward, picking his way through the thick branches of the forest .
Suddenly his breath and movement seemed much too loud to him, as though they echoed throughout the entire wood. Sweat formed on his fair grey face as he pushed further; this went on for what seemed an eternity, and he found nothing. Coming into a clearing, Nosever released a long sigh and sat down on the green floor of the Nameless forest, closing his eyes. It must have been his imagination...
But an instant later Nosever’s eyes sprang open again, and he jumped up, daggers drawn. The creature was there with him in the clearing – he heard its great heavy breath and a low growl, and he smelt the overwhelming scent of a woman’s blood.

Thranduil_of_Greenwood

Lady Pole
Crew

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:08 pm
I am really enjoying this story. It's a very compelling plot and your description creates vivid mental images.
I hope you will post more of this.  
dead threads - do not post

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff