Reply Music - Related Topics
lol, Myspace Music Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ether-Eating Eskimo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:05 am

They have no Goth Rock genre on it, but if you search for Gothic, look what you get. Barely any Goth rock at all.

AND THE FIRST BAND THAT COMES UP IS MARILYN MANSON!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:20 pm

Well, from what I've seen, myspace is a site with a lot of mallcores - both mallcore goth and mallcore emo. So you get MM instead of Bauhaus :/

So I imagine that if you search "emo," you're likely to get My Chemical Romance and not Rites of Spring.

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:30 pm

It's damn near impossible to avoid, unfortunately.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:58 pm

But Myspace is such a popular site. >< It's probably 75% of the reason for all the damn confusion.

Another question...

Does Manson actually consider himself to be goth?

Ether-Eating Eskimo

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:32 pm

Hard to tell. He doesn't ever support that he is, but when he is referred to as it, he does nothing to refute or deny it.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:49 pm

The only pro argument I can think of is that his act is largely inspired by Rozz Williams of Christian Death, and that he covered *coughRAPEDcough* Bauhaus's "Bela Lugosi's Dead"

Otherwise, it's clear that his music is far from gothic rock, death rock, dark cabaret, or any other kind of goth-related music genre; his angry lyrics definitely aren't gothy indicators.
But yeah, as GilAskan said, he doesn't make that much clear.

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

Ether-Eating Eskimo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:56 pm

...He covered Bela Lugosi's Dead? O_O

How the hell does Marilyn Manson do Bauhaus? I mean, aside from the fact that he sucks, his music is honestly NOTHING like Bauhaus...
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:15 pm

CrimsonThanatos

How the hell does Marilyn Manson do Bauhaus? I mean, aside from the fact that he sucks, his music is honestly NOTHING like Bauhaus...

Yeah, well I guess I should've added that that was something I found on Wikipedia sweatdrop - on a list of artists who have covered Bela Lugosi's Dead.
In saying that, yeah I should've actually heard the song first... but the thing is that MM tends to cover quite a few songs anyway - in Industrial Metal form. And in my opinion, goth rock to industrial metal would likely just be an unjust rape of the original.

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

ketchakik

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:48 pm

CrimsonThanatos

is his music anything like the eurythmics though? and he butcherd sweet dreams
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:49 pm

MM isn't Industrial. O_o

I love industrial, and MM sounds nothing like it.

Ether-Eating Eskimo

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:05 pm

CrimsonThanatos
MM isn't Industrial. O_o

I love industrial, and MM sounds nothing like it.

Not pure industrial like Skinny Puppy, I mean industrial metal - like Deathstars.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:26 am

ketchakik
CrimsonThanatos

is his music anything like the eurythmics though? and he butcherd sweet dreams

Don't forget Depeche Mode. Completely unforgiveable for what he did to Personal Jesus. There's no other way to describe his cover as voilating the Mode!! scream

I must try to find Bela Lugosi a la Manson though, I wish for more kindling to my Manson fire *toddles round Napster*

Back on topic, It doesn't surprise me one iota about that, I doubt the people that run it know or care about the different definitions of music, much like HMV and Virgin Superstores to (basing this on looking round their metal sections and finding MCR, P!atD among others wasting space), they only really care about making money is all.

Isobel Bellamy

seishuku enkou

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:13 am

Marilyn Manson is teh s**t!! His music is bad a**!! Myspace music is kinda fruity tho.. It spazzes out a lot.. Sometimes you can't find what you want.. And sometimes when u look something up it's gone the next day or whenever you try looking it up again..
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 2:28 pm

Crimson Thanatos

I read in Marilyn Manson's biography that not only was he influenced by Bauhaus but he met Daniel Ash.

I think he's even met Siouxsie Sioux.

The guy obviously isn't that clueless about goth, even if his music is metal based.

Plus, most of those industrial metal bands were infulenced by goth and related genres.

NIN was influenced by Depeche Mode, Gary Numan and Bauhaus.

Orgy covered New Order.

Hell, even Gang of Four was supposidly a influence on Nu Metal.

The list goes on and on.

Cockroach Waltz

Konatafangrl

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:38 am

yeah you have to sort of have to search under rock its best if you already know the band your looking for because the genre they put them under oh man they put stone 588 under emo/punk/gothic T.T i dislike the term emo.
Music - Related Topics

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff