Reply Extended Discussion
Veganism and Vegetarianism Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ether-Eating Eskimo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:26 pm
I recently became a vegetarian, and I was thinking about veganism, but it sounds almost impossible. O_O How do you ever go to restaurants or anything?

Also, talk about why you are vegetarian or vegan, and what gave you the idea, or got you into it.

I myself had always wanted to be one, but my mom always told me when I was little about how "you need meat" blah blah blah, and it was too expensive and whatnot. Just a few weeks ago, she actually let me. rofl

I also suggest you check out http://www.goveg.com/ ...
(I think that's it)  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:33 pm
Hmn.
I've been a vegetarian for about two years now.
It made me all awesome-healthy and stuff.

I also don't think I'd have even tried half of the weird ethnic foods I love now, had I not gone vegetarian. 'Twould be sad, it would.  

Vexworth

Kohanna13

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:30 pm
Proud veggie since I was 7 my dear. I was going to go vegan but I like my dairy too much sweatdrop Found some killer vegan chocolate and jelly 4laugh I think veggies/vegans are more willing to try new foods (unless it's dead or something)  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:11 am
I eat animals. Why? Because evolution and natural selection tell me to.
Any form of animal, including humanity, progresses by being subjected to adverse circumstances. As the species grows and changes, only changes which are beneficial to the species in relation to the environment are beneficial. A species that has no constant adversity will grow "fat" and "lazy", as it were, allowing genetic defects to creep into the population. When change does inevitably come, it generally kills much larger portions of the population of unadapted animals than the adapted ones.
Not only that, but humanity, unlike our distant monkey-like ancestor, has evolved the ability eat both vegetation and meat. The fact that we have the ability to digest meat indicates that doing so was beneficial to our population for some reason. To not eat meat goes against my genetics.
In addition, not eating animals will kill infinitively more of them in the long run. Humanity is a large part of the adversities faced by particular animal species. If humanity were suddenly to stop hunting/killing these animals, then their populations, adapted to humanities aggression, will not be properly adapted to their new environments. Not only will large chunks of them die upon release from human instillations, but even those that survive will dwindle because of poor adaption.

Actually, I eat meat because I find it tasty. I do try to have my diet consist mainly of non-meat products, for health reasons, but I have no aversion to eating meat.  

DieiNoctis

Kohanna13

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:33 am
I understand what you're saying, I don't agree but I respect you having a opinion. I don't like meat (taste, smell, etc) I hate it when people force their opinion/beliefs on others. Yes I will talk about being a veggie but I won't shove a picture of a dead baby animal while you eat. I believe in people finding things out on there own (but I will answer questions) So just keep the meat on your plate and we'll be ok.  
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:12 am
I've been a vegan for about 3 years now. I can't say I'm a particularly healthy person, but the veganism can't be blamed for that. I was just brought up not knowing how to eat right. I lived off of spaghetti and cereal. Now I at least have some variety as well as protein in my diet. More fruits and vegetables too.

I don't often try new foods because my house and kitchen are always disgustingly dirty (a main reason why I'm never home) and there are never clean dishes to cook with. Often times the pans are covered in meat or egg residue. Eww.

I can't wait until I'm out of the house with my very own kitchen in which to store my food and to try new recipes.

I am a vegan because it makes sense. It is better for my health not to be eating meat or milk or eggs. They are just crap food and there are many better alternatives for nutrients you get from animal products. Being vegan is less cruel. Just research factory farms. You'll see. I'm vegan because I won't support the environmental destruction brought on by dirty factory farms, and millions of methane making cows. I won't support the use of a huge portion of the world's crops (which could eliminate world hunger) to support animals that are doomed to end up on the plate of an obese north american McDonald's eater.

One of the reasons I beleive that vegetarians who are against killing animals for food should go vegan, or at least stop eating dairy, is that the dairy industry gave birth to and supports the veal industry. Baby male calfs were an unwanted byproduct of the dairy industry. A cow needs to get pregnant to produce milk. So they decided to take all the male calfs, put them in dark crates, deprive them of nutrients and exercise (such soft light colored meat!) and kill them at a young age. They only ever know pain. It's disgusting.  

Alice_K8

DreamerSpirit

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 3:09 pm
I stopped eating animal products as a personal moral choice. After researching factpry farms, as well as the meat and dairy industry's impact on the enviroment, I decided to stop supporting those instiutuions.

Mind you, I noted that this was a PERSONAL MORAL ISSUE. Morality is subjective, and the beliefs I hold are mine alone. I'm cool with your dietary choice (so long as you're not a cannibal!) I don't push my beliefs on others.

As a side note, veganism was initally pretty hard, but over time it became easier for me. I cook most of my meals from scratch, but have cereal, pasta with sauce, instant soup, and frozen faux meats for days when I'm too busy/lazy to cook and don't have leftovers on hand. I'm now a pretty good vegan cook. ^_^

As for eating out, it all depends on how nit-pickey you are. I personally will avoid obviously non vegan foods (ex. cheese), and ask the waitstaff about foods which commonly are not vegan (ex. I'll ask if vegetable soup was made with beef/chicken stock), but I don't go so far as to ask if the bread they use for thier veggie sandwhich is vegan.
When I eat out, I can find things at most restraunts, such as steamed veggies, a veggie sandwhich, hommus with pita, plain baked potatoes, salads, and whatnot. Or, if I can't seem to find anything I want at a restraunt, I usually keep a protine bar in my purse to eat.

I was a vegetarian for about 20 months before becoming a vegan. I've now been a vegan for about 8 months, and have been healthier than ever. I have much more energy than I did before, I'm eating healthier, and I lost a lot of weight (which was good, since I was pretty close to reaching the point of obesity prior to going vegan).

I really love my veggies! blaugh  
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 10:02 am
I would like to be full vegetarian (currently, I eat diary products and white meat), but now it's pretty impossible.
All the vegetables are costing much more than meat and I have just 50 bucks to spent at food in month, it's nearly impossible to get everyday healthy meal containing just vegetables. :l
WHEN I have enough money to become a vegeterian, I won't become one just becuase of little cow got killed because of this, because I think that being sentimental towards the food you eat...I just think it's crazy. We allow people get killed, raped and living in slums, but a little cow isn't worth of that rumba. It's just insane. I rather become a vegeterian because it's more healthier and it doesn't consume so much nature.
I'm NOT SAYING that all you, who became vegetarian/vegan as the reason of not killing animals for food, are insane, that kind of thinking doesn't fit in my values. :B

[brainvomit]

Ether-Eating Eskimo

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:39 pm
[brainvomit]
I would like to be full vegetarian (currently, I eat diary products and white meat), but now it's pretty impossible.
All the vegetables are costing much more than meat and I have just 50 bucks to spent at food in month, it's nearly impossible to get everyday healthy meal containing just vegetables. :l
WHEN I have enough money to become a vegeterian, I won't become one just becuase of little cow got killed because of this, because I think that being sentimental towards the food you eat...I just think it's crazy. We allow people get killed, raped and living in slums, but a little cow isn't worth of that rumba. It's just insane. I rather become a vegeterian because it's more healthier and it doesn't consume so much nature.
I'm NOT SAYING that all you, who became vegetarian/vegan as the reason of not killing animals for food, are insane, that kind of thinking doesn't fit in my values. :B

LOL, I personally put most animals' lives over most humans' lives.

And, if you are a vegetarian, you can still eat dairy products, eggs, etc. When you stop eating all those, you are technically a vegan. blaugh  
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 6:44 pm
Crimson Thanatos

LOL, I personally put most animals' lives over most humans' lives.

And, if you are a vegetarian, you can still eat dairy products, eggs, etc. When you stop eating all those, you are technically a vegan. blaugh

Well, you are right about that the most of the people aren't as valuable as animals, but I'm mainly against the sentimentality. I hate puppies, I hate lambs, I hate people, I hate everything equally. <3
Oh, at least this part of the world, basic vegetarians don't eat diary products or white meat at all. We keep the difference between vegetarian and vegan that vegetarians can use for example wool products and leather in name of ecological consumption.
But maybe they are just different in different countires /communities. :B

[brainvomit]

Ether-Eating Eskimo

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 7:14 pm
Dunno. :S

Anyway... how can you hate puppies? gonk blaugh blaugh blaugh  
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:09 am
Crimson Thanatos
Dunno. :S

Anyway... how can you hate puppies? gonk blaugh blaugh blaugh

They grow huge things, which drool everywhere. :l
In same reason I hate babies. domokun

[brainvomit]

AluminaBeliever

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 6:52 am
Nos animus equitare spira rus finire et

I've only been vegetarian (well technically pescetarian.. come on! I've lived in near the sea nearly all my life gonk ) for only 3 months gonk but I'm still goin wink
I actually have 3 reasons why I did it tho:
1 MOST IMPORTANT. Save the world! I do what I can wink

2 STILL IMPORTANT BUT NOT AS MUCH AS #1. I wasn't exactly raised on the healthiest foods, and decided to change that. Can u say 110? mrgreen

3 SORTA IMPORTANT BUT NOT NEARLY AS IMPORTANT AS #1 OR EVEN #2 FOR THAT MATTER. Some of the popular ppl at my school are vegetarians. Hey? Why not try and fit in? Fine by me mrgreen

I want to eventually work to vegan, but it is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo *breath*
very hard to give up dairy et fish gonk They are just soooooo good! crying : )
I did give up milk after hearing how much.....pus gets into it eek *barf*
eam prorsus ire ubi nullus unus praeire...

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 5:09 pm
I became a vegetarian out of practicality-- my twin is one. So yeah. 6 months and going strong.

I'm planning to either go freegan, home-only vegan, or just plain carnivore in two years, when I get an apartment. It wouldn't make sense at that point to keep the same diet.  

Myollnir

bloodyandrea

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:18 pm
i am a vegetarian. i honestly would no dream of becoming vegan. i eat lots of tofu. i live in chicago and there are a couple of vegetarian restaurants here. so i'm happy. wish u luck with ur diet!  
Extended Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff