Do you feel this way too?
  Yes, quite often
  Yes, i have pondered it.
  No, i'm just like the asian stereotype
  No, but i understand you.
View Results

.Chizel.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:33 pm
You know how they have these azn stereotypes that are like, " Asians are supersmart and love math and all that crappy school stuff"?
i was just wondering if you were like that because i'm totally not.
I'm chinese, i have straight A's and all but i'm really not like those asian kids that is obsessive over math.

INstead, I'm obsessive over music. Like, not the asian pop culture music, but bands.
Like Fall Out Boy (going to their concert), My Chemical Romance, HIM, The All American Rejects, The Academy Is... and soo many others that i'm too lazy to name. I love rock and i don't care about the asian stereotypes or what others "think" you should be. The problem is, even thought you're asian, i feel you don't have to stick to the stereotype. i want to do what i love and be like every other die-hard rock fan, but my parents are just so attached to having me be smarter and studying harder.

It's so shitty. rolleyes I mean, if i weren't asian, this would probably not happen.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:44 pm
I'm not OBSESSIVE over math, but I like it. xp  

X-thrax

Ouiaboo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:52 pm
[ 聖ルヂーと言う:]

Apparently, at my school the only thing Asians care about are getting good grades and doing well in school. That is something I care about, but I have a life too; sometimes I even slack, and there's actually nothing I hate more than studying -- do people really believe that we willingly like to spend all of our time on schoolwork? And it's not that we're smarter, we just tend to study much harder than some other people do. Even though some of the earliest math was developed in India, I can't stand math at all and it's a miracle that I barely like Geometry.

I fill some of the stereotypes, but I am who I want to be and I find no need to consort to said stereotypes. Most Asians aren't the stereotypes people believe them to be at all! Of course, being half Black, most people usually don't assume I'm Asian until I tell them so I manage to avoid most of the stereotypes… well, save for the "gangster/ghetto" bit.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:57 pm
1. I'm East and Southeast Asian American.

2. I'm having trouble passing my classes.

3. I got kicked out of a class because I sucked at math so badly.

There you go; the stereotypes aren't true.  

Evinyatar

Interstellar Prophet

8,390 Points
  • Springtime Scavenging 25
  • Interstellar Fixer 25
  • Expert Skill 150

.Chizel.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:20 pm
I mean, i'm not even proud of the culture.
I'm a music/emo guys in eyeliner freak.

Yeah i think emo boys in liner are hawt. =]]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:30 pm
Well one Asian Stereotype is that Asian Parents are super harsh, I think thats true  

Rekindled Spirit

- lanRENse -

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:25 pm
These stereotypes are, unfortunately, true in the majority of the Asian population.

Consequently, it makes it harder for the Asians who do not fit in with the stereotype.

@ .Chizel.

I have a feeling you and my friend would get along incredibly easily, music-wise. You remind me of her. xD

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:30 pm
I hear it all around how us Asians are smart
but then i have some friends that don`t even try in their classes. So not all of it is true even though our parents push us to a certain limit.

i remember we talked about this during class. and everyone else thought of all these good stereotypes but i forgot about the "Asian" one so the teacher ended up saying it. i was surprised about how the whole class went silent and all the asians started looking at each other *cough including myself cough*

Michie`s Flips Inc.

Evinyatar

Interstellar Prophet

8,390 Points
  • Springtime Scavenging 25
  • Interstellar Fixer 25
  • Expert Skill 150
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:46 pm
Personally, I don't think that there are "good" stereotypes are good. A stereotype that seems good only limits and hurts in other ways. This is why there is a glass/bamboo ceiling in American and many Western societies.

For example, because I am Asian-American, I am perceived as a math type. When I give a speech, people assume it's going to be bad because I'm Asian-American.

Also, when there is a stereotype, it discourages some of those who are stereotypes from straying from the stereotype, which further enforces the stereotype.

Stereotypes are all harmful, no matter how "good" they seem at first.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:41 am
X-thrax
I'm not OBSESSIVE over math, but I like it. xp

Same here. But come on, not all Asians are obssessive over math or something. Then we wouldn't be different! We are unique! hahah. And besides, I love fall out boy and my chemical romance too!! biggrin  

makarian

.Chizel.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:04 am
Lol. thanks guys. =]
I don't think i'm good at math. In my class i'm kinda good, but compared to other states and people, i'm just average or below average with CHINESE kids. -rollseyes- gimme a break, everything's compared with CHINESE KIDS.

I wish I weren't asian. gonk crying

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:48 pm
I'm chinese thai hawaiian XD

math....i'm pretty cool with it although not that good and my physical science I dropped from a 100 to a 85 but i'm not smart.  

Kempana

Ceyon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:49 pm
Quote:
I'm chinese thai hawaiian XD

Lots of Thais are actually part Chinese. My Thai friend is half Chinese because two of her grandparents are Chinese. It's just because the two countries are right next to each other, I guess.

I actually think that math is boring as hell.
mrgreen Yeah, I get As in it and all, but I don't particularly enjoy it. Daily math homework is seriously the bane of my existence. I was born here, though, so my command of the English language is way better than the Caucasian students, even, so I kick butt in English and Spanish classes.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:11 pm
XDD;;
My parents DEFY [for me] the supposed "Asian stereotype".

I mean, seriously, I love math and all the other subjects and learning. It rocks. Reading is awesome! >o I have good grades that I've learned to be proud of.

My parents are overjoyed with my grades. o-O;; But at the same time, I can still have fun. I can still watch sitcoms and tv and jlfsdhgufeujas shows like Flavor of Love if I want to. So do my parents. o____o;; I still listen to music as much as I want to/play video games/stay up late.

My parents are nice. :3

Sapphic Babe

Azn Fcuk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:30 pm
So? It's a stereotype, stereotypes don't apply to everyone.  
Asian Pride -- Asian Hangout for Asian People

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff