Reply Painting and Modelling Discussion
Paint striping

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ruric Torrune

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:03 pm
I've been trying to strip the paint off of a few old plastic models that were the first things I painted. Does anyone know a better method of striping paint from plastic models then a knife, and sand paper?  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:20 pm
Submerge them in simple green. Leave it for a day or two then wash and scrub under warm water. Paint comes off normally.  

Aznhothead5

Ruric Torrune

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:31 pm
Aznhothead5
Submerge them in simple green. Leave it for a day or two then wash and scrub under warm water. Paint comes off normally.

K... but what is simple green?  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:34 am
I heard break fluid is good...im going to try it since I have alot of Orcs that need to have paint stripped...they were my FIRST models sweatdrop  

Jera_Laguz

Reddemon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:07 am
Jera_Laguz
I heard break fluid is good...im going to try it since I have alot of Orcs that need to have paint stripped...they were my FIRST models sweatdrop
It works, and if you leave it long enough, it undercoats em too(dont do that though)  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:54 am
Reddemon
Jera_Laguz
It works, and if you leave it long enough, it undercoats em too(dont do that though)

A guy at the gamers store I use to go to said the same thing... I thought he was jokeing. I think I'll try it. Yeah, I'm trying to strip a few Chaos Space Marines I have from when I first started... They have about ten coats of paint on them...(First things I ever painted...)  

Ruric Torrune

FlashbackJon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:26 pm
Break fluid or simple green is the way to go.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:35 pm
FlashbackJon

Will somone please tell me what "simple green" is?...  

Ruric Torrune

Aidenn K

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:49 am
Ruric Torrune
FlashbackJon

Will somone please tell me what "simple green" is?...

It's just a house hold cleaning agent.
http://consumer.simplegreen.com/cons_prod_ori.php <--they even have a website for it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:31 pm
Thank you for telling me what it is.  

Ruric Torrune

Dark Lore

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:57 am
I don't know about this simple green stuff but i've used Brake Fluid, it's nasty stuff very corrosive and the vapours are toxic. I really wouldn't recommend using it.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:10 pm
Lol, its probbly as bad smelling as the nail polish remover I use on metal models... Oh word of advice to anyone that doesnt know this: Dont soak plastic in nail polish remover, it will melt your miniture. I learned that the hard way...  

Ruric Torrune

[.Psycho.Doughboy.]

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 8:45 pm
I might have to go out and get some simple green. Today was my first time priming by spray and I brought the can just a TEEEEENSY bit too close. >.> It's nothing HORRIBLE, just some of the defining features on my necron's faces are a little harder to make out.
Also, I stripped my metal Lord figure, but, like the guy above, my stand got all warped. X[  
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 3:35 am
i have used all of the above , started with brake fluid 10 years ago or so, then tried easy off oven cleaner then simple green, and finally castrol super clean degreaser. by far the quickest and easiest for me to use was castrol superclean, just be sure to wear gloves when you use it, it will suck the oils right out of your hands. i filled a coffee can half way full of it and stripped over 150 figs with that half a can. it comes in a gallon jug for aprox. $10 usd and it lasts forever. put the minis in and and 2-3 hours later pull em out (after the first couple of batches i got smart and started using tongs) then hit them with a soft toothbrush and the paint slides right off, sometimes you dont even have to take the prush ot them depending on the primer you used. also on a side note the bad thing aobut brke fluid is that if oyu odnt get 100% of the paint off the fig and rince it realy well it will be inmosable to paint over the old paint spots, the paint doesnt dry over it, leading to haivng to restrip the figs over and over again untill the paints gone.  

Battle_Brother_Edward

Painting and Modelling Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff