Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Ty-sama's Sketchbook (Tablet Drawn)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tyl0r3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:21 pm
User ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser ImageUser Image

SERIOUS Comments and critisism please?  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:30 am
In general, draw from life. Start doing observed drawings on a regular basis, you'll learn quickly firsthand how things should look so that when you bend rules by stylizing it still looks convincing.

Right now your work seems flat, partially I think you probably tend to draw the clothing straight away? (if you already do what I'm about to say then sorry -_-) Draw your figures 'nude'. Get the anatomy right and -then- add clothing over top, this will help with your anatomy, help you to get the clothing to lay right and will help add depth to the pieces.
I'm glad to see you trying varying line weights a bit, its a good thing. emx2a (eee I hope I got that right) has linked what looks to be a good tutorial about lineweights in Fallen Kitsune's thread, you may want to check that out.
On your colours, try to choose a completely different colour for shadows and highlights than your base colour, it'll look a bit more natural and will help pop the piece more.
I hope this all makes sense.

Kudos on being so bold with your work. Confidence is a major part of any work.  

Wispered

Leo Valios

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:13 pm
You're much braver than I am in putting backgrounds on all of your pics already. My advice though, is very similar to Eejbeej. Although I myself choose not to draw from what I'm directly looking at, I improved quite a bit after looking at some bioligy books and checking out the bone/muscle structure. Wire frames are the most reliable method for improvement at this point, and the only way you'll be able to use them well is to know them well. They take a while to get used to, but even with a tablet you'll be able to use them. I'm sure we'll see a huge improvement when you do, and personally, I'm looking forward to it.  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games