Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dyshidrosis

Shameless Dog

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:28 pm
I hope this is the right place, but I have some questions:

1) I recently bought my first few minis, mostly bits to do a Conversion I want to do. However, I am unsure on what kind of glue I should use. It seems like I could get by with regular model kit glue, but are there better glues for me to use?

2) I am utterly intimidated by the painting. I expected the minis to be small, but not THIS small! Any tips for a first time minis painter?

3) I'm painting my conversion in Word Bearers colors, so should I paint the Legion's color as the base coat, or prime it first? Also, I read that I should paint the finer details first, so that any mistake would be covered up by the base color. Should I do that, or should I paint the details last?

4) Should I build it first and then paint, or paint some parts before I glue them on? Part of my conversion uses the Aspiring Champion torso with the chain mail tabard, and I notice that it will be difficult to paint the legs if I glue the torso and legs on first.

Thanks!  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:43 pm
1) I use the GW brand superglue. It sticks to your fingers, but the other kind leaves little strings of it tha get everywhere.

2) Yep. Don't get discouraged, and don't paint your favorite models first: spend some time painting standard troopers before painting your conversion.

3) I'd base-coat it black, just so that any spots you miss don't scream "HEY LOOOK AT ME, I'M NOT PAINTED!". I don't paint in any particular order; if you mess a detail up, scrape it off with a toothpick.

4) I've tried both, I'd probably paint parts seperately until you get the hang of it.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

shadowman514

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:20 pm
for plastic use regular model glue and for metal use super glue  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:02 am
Also, look into Inquisitor Models if you want something bigger.

-Mykal

A.R.G.U.S Mykal

Dyshidrosis

Shameless Dog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:28 pm
Thanks for the info!

Construction is going slow but well. I'm making this conversion look good. He's a bit spartan so far, but I'm going to add some "purity seals" on him, as I notice in a lot of fluff art that Dark Apostles seem to have those on.

But other than that, looking great so far!  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:08 pm
Obersturmbannfuehrer Chii
I hope this is the right place, but I have some questions:

1) I recently bought my first few minis, mostly bits to do a Conversion I want to do. However, I am unsure on what kind of glue I should use. It seems like I could get by with regular model kit glue, but are there better glues for me to use?

2) I am utterly intimidated by the painting. I expected the minis to be small, but not THIS small! Any tips for a first time minis painter?

3) I'm painting my conversion in Word Bearers colors, so should I paint the Legion's color as the base coat, or prime it first? Also, I read that I should paint the finer details first, so that any mistake would be covered up by the base color. Should I do that, or should I paint the details last?

4) Should I build it first and then paint, or paint some parts before I glue them on? Part of my conversion uses the Aspiring Champion torso with the chain mail tabard, and I notice that it will be difficult to paint the legs if I glue the torso and legs on first.

Thanks!

1) When you glue two plastic items together, use plastic cement, it created an excellent bond. When you do metal to metal, or plastic to metal, just use normal super glue, it works just as well as anything else if you're careful with it.

2) These minis are small, and my advice is to NOT get intimidated. Painting is a learn-as-you-go experience! Have fun with it! And feel free to try something new, you can ALWAYS go back and redo something if it looks shitty (Lol you should have seen my first marines when I just started playing) And for metals like guns, here's a very easy way to make them look pretty good. You paint the metal chaos black. Then you rinse your brush, wipe it off, then dip your brush in boltgun metal. Wipe your brush off thoroughly , without rinsing it, and just lightly brush over the metal. It will give it the metal highlights, over the general dark, normal look of the gun.

3) ALWAYS prime your models. The thing is, though, Citadel has primers in more colors than just white. If you can find your army's color in a primer, that would be best. Otherwise, just prime it, paint the whole thing the main color, then go back and do details.

4) It depends. Some details are a real pain in the a** to do, and with some of the more complicated looking models, it's best to paint them before assembling. But sometimes you don't need to. It's best to use your own judgment on this.

Good luck, and have fun killing Space Marines when you start playing. We all enjoy it, sometimes too much. wink  

Spawn More Overlords

Dyshidrosis

Shameless Dog

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:00 pm
I've got another question:

Is it possible to heat up a piece and slowly and carefully bend it into shape? Or is the plastic that GW uses for their kits unsuited for such a practice?

Thanks!  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:41 pm
It's very possible, but it's rather difficult to do without actually melting the plastic.

Optometrists use heated glass beads for repositioning plastic that would otherwise melt. You can do the same thing with plain table salt - it's the easiest and safest way.

First take ordinary table salt and your smallest pot. Fill the pot with enough table salt to keep your mini from touching the bottom or the sides when you place them in far enough to cover the area you want to reshape. Turn the stove onto a simmering heat (lowest level) and then patiently wait for the salt to become slightly uncomfortable to the touch. Place your mini in and give it a couple of minutes. After playing with the heat a bit I found that I could leave it in the mix for about 3 to 4 minutes pull him out and the plastic is pliable. You have a few seconds to repose it before it cools to hard plastic again.

You'll have to play with the heat a little before figuring out a level that allows for bending without loss of detail. You may want to screw around with a few "throwaway" minis before doing it to anything you care about.

Also, don't try it more than once or MAYBE twice on the same mini.  

FlashbackJon

Dyshidrosis

Shameless Dog

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:19 am
Sounds like a lot of effort for a job that putty and such could do better. sweatdrop

Thanks for the info anyhow, though!  
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff