Reply ~.The Atheist Guild.~
religous friends (can you really be friends???) Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

CrazyCatExtreme

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:19 am
I've always wondered about this, I have many friends, all different religions. My two closest friends are christian. My girl friend never talks about religion and I think it's for the better, it's easyer to forget we have different beliefs and just enjoy each others company. But my guy friend always has some rude litle remark he subtly makes. For instance, he's constantly bringing up religion in school and how if it was brought back it was solve so many problems. "problems" including me not believing in God. He kinna implies that if religion was in school I would believe in God and be better that way. I have nothing agaisnt "learning" about religion, but practicing it is completly different. Lets face it, kids of all religions are forced to go to church or cinegog, whatever you want to call it they practice they're parents religion, sometimes to scared to tell them they don't share the same views. But doing that in school too. I mean the parents are going to send the kid to the school they want them to go to and the kids will be told what to believe all day long. Sorry, getting off topic. Anyway, my friend also said to me on more than one ocasion that I was going to hell because I wasn't baptised.
Yesterday, he was at my house, and he says to me:
"I bet you ate meat yesterday"
me:"was I not supose to?"
him:" NO, it was good friday!"
me:"oh, did you eat meat?"
him:"GOD NO! I don't want to go to hell!"
oh sure, he can swear and do drugs and speed and have sex before he's married so long as he repents and it's all good but eating meat on friday will buy him a ticket to hell.
Anyway, I'm getting off topic again. The point is, can you really be friends with someone of a different religion. I think you definatly can't be as close as with someone who shares your beliefs.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:46 am
That's a bit....odd.

My best friend is very religious (she reads the bible before bed) it doesn't change anything though...she's still my best friend and she's one of the most amazing people that I know.  

[x] Natasha [x]

Bluuberry

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:12 pm
I guess it realy relies on the person's own tolereance of you in his or her litlle circle around his ego. About how closle do you let someone get? Friendship is all about trust, all those who i trust i call friends.

If your friend decides he trusts you less becauses he truly believes you are gonna burn in hell, then there isn't much hope for those who have allready surrenderd themselves to this 'blind' faith. His trust in his god ( or magical, invisible, all-seeing, all-knowing spaghetti monster) might just be far greter then he can ever trust you or himself or anything for that matter.

REligion is a great way to make slaves and still let them be called free.
If GOd is a sheepherder and all believers are his sheep. Blind sheep that blaa on que. Then Id rather be an eagle, to fly and be free. And to see the world in a clearer light with better eyes.

And so i hope i added something to this thread.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:27 am
Bluuberry

REligion is a great way to make slaves and still let them be called free.
If GOd is a sheepherder and all believers are his sheep. Blind sheep that blaa on que. Then Id rather be an eagle, to fly and be free. And to see the world in a clearer light with better eyes.

And so i hope i added something to this thread.

Indeed 3nodding
Ego is a big part of it.
My 2 best friends are very loosely religious, one could be atheist even, I'm not sure. Anyway, we can joke about religion all day but we'd rather talk about guitars, our band, all that shtuff.  

FlamingChihuahua
Crew

music4life1377

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 3:35 pm
My ex best freind (we went different ways) is very religios. My freind jaz brought up releigion, homosexuality, and athism once to her and she completly freaked out. Now that we once again go to the same school its hard to talk to her knowin she dosnt know the real me.  
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:06 pm
One of my semi-friends is a fundamentalist, and (before she knew I was an atheist) tried to insult me by saying "You... You atheist!" I got kind of annoyed there and told her that, yes, I am an atheist. Her problem is that, as a fundamentalist, they absolutely refuse to see anything atheist, ex: I was reading The Origin of Species (by Darwin), and she actually said she wanted to burn the book and that Darwin came up with his ideas while drunk. I asked her where she found that out, and she responded; "My mother and brother." I kind of died slightly inside, but almost everyone in a 30km radius of where I live are... fundies!  

Death God Hitsugaya

Cloud0.0Strife

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 2:08 pm
When you say religious people, you usually think of Christians don't you? The only religious person (As far as I'm aware) that I'm friends with, is Pagen.  
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:04 pm
To finish what I started earlier, Most of my friends have beliefs such as Wiccan, although I don't remember most of em. Most people, except those such as fundamentalists and christians tend to be assholes about me being atheist. Most people just end up forgetting cause it doesn't matter to them.  

Death God Hitsugaya

Metamorphosis Lycanthropy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:07 pm
I can be friends with them, as long as they don't shove their religion in my face and what not...

But if you can accept your friends beliefs, but not follow them, you're a true friend.

I guess it's a don't ask don't tell kind of thing.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:08 pm
Alot of my friends aren't really religous. They say they are catholic or christain or whatever, but that's pretty much it.
If someone was a die-hard religous person who believed in god and everything, I really doubt I could be friends with them.  

puma28

Heterosexual Fa gg ot
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:14 pm
A lot of my friends believe in God and we're great friends. I respect their religion and they respect mine. As long as we get along and are good friends, religion doesn't matter.
User Image

[.Julie Booly.]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:33 pm
Ive never had problems being religious, yeah one tried converting me with facts and "proff" but that just helped me become atheist.

I debate my belifs with my religious friends and the actually agree with alot of my statements. Ive yet to loose friends for not believeing,

See i have two best friends

ones atheist, he helped me see the light, or darkness as the religious people will say.

and the second comes from a heavily christian family, but she sees the flaws, and has her reasons for staying though.

You know you have a good friend when your belifs don't change your relationship.  

Crooked_Lamb

Veinlash

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:13 pm
CrazyCatExtreme
I've always wondered about this, I have many friends, all different religions. My two closest friends are christian. My girl friend never talks about religion and I think it's for the better, it's easyer to forget we have different beliefs and just enjoy each others company. But my guy friend always has some rude litle remark he subtly makes. For instance, he's constantly bringing up religion in school and how if it was brought back it was solve so many problems. "problems" including me not believing in God. He kinna implies that if religion was in school I would believe in God and be better that way. I have nothing agaisnt "learning" about religion, but practicing it is completly different. Lets face it, kids of all religions are forced to go to church or cinegog, whatever you want to call it they practice they're parents religion, sometimes to scared to tell them they don't share the same views. But doing that in school too. I mean the parents are going to send the kid to the school they want them to go to and the kids will be told what to believe all day long. Sorry, getting off topic. Anyway, my friend also said to me on more than one ocasion that I was going to hell because I wasn't baptised.
Yesterday, he was at my house, and he says to me:
"I bet you ate meat yesterday"
me:"was I not supose to?"
him:" NO, it was good friday!"
me:"oh, did you eat meat?"
him:"GOD NO! I don't want to go to hell!"
oh sure, he can swear and do drugs and speed and have sex before he's married so long as he repents and it's all good but eating meat on friday will buy him a ticket to hell.
Anyway, I'm getting off topic again. The point is, can you really be friends with someone of a different religion. I think you definatly can't be as close as with someone who shares your beliefs.

i love having freinds wiht differnt beleifs
its so fun to debate and argue
keeps me sharp
thats why some christians are so stubborn and
close minded and ignorant
their not used to debateing their used to everyone agreeing with them  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:24 pm
My closest and best friend is a Catholic, he's cool as s**t and is a great guy, he's very tolerant of me being atheist, he believes I'm going to hell though, but he says that doesn't stop him from meeting people.  

Cannibal Joe

VoodooPantheon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:39 pm
my girlfriend, my bestrfirend, and one of my closest friends are all christian... Then theres me... I've been accused of Beening satanic on numerous occasions, and my friends and I joke about it all the time!

(me): "Man, I hated going to the Vatican..."
(best friend): "You went to the Vatican?"
"Yeah.."
"Man, I wish I went now..."
"Man, we went to churches almost everyday. Im amazed I havent burst into flames yet!"
"Dude, all of us are..."
"Man I blasphemed in the middle of the Vatican..."
"Dude, the pope may as well have given you the ticket to hell.."
"Man, I'm not even dying, Im just going straight to hell.."

And my bro (the close friend) believes in god, and we're in a death metal band... He listens to bands like Deicide, Vital Remains, Ragnarok, and a bunch of other anti-christian s**t.

You can be friends with religious people, its whether or not if you can be friends with that particular person.  
~.The Atheist Guild.~

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff