Roxy Music

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:55 pm
Never really participants in the goth scene, the guys of Roxy Music have been cited by many as influences to genre itself. [Essentially] active for more than 35 years, the group has put out more than a few genre re-defining albums (particularly for art-rock).

Now, normally, I don't do this, but I felt I'd ask. I've heard only about a dozen of their songs, and have liked much of their work. I'm going to the UK soon (leaving Friday), and I felt I'd pick up at least one album of theirs (they're far harder to find in the US than the UK). So I'd like to ask for any suggestions. "Siren" seems to most interest me as of now, but I'd still like suggestions from anyone willing to put one forth.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:58 pm
I just tried youtubing them... and though I usually don't like pure glam rock too much, their songs "Do the Strand" and "Remodel/Remake" are pretty decent smile  

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:26 pm
Dead Ed
I just tried youtubing them... and though I usually don't like pure glam rock too much, their songs "Do the Strand" and "Remodel/Remake" are pretty decent smile

I'm trying to avoid their glam work. Much of their mid-career music was glam, a style I'm not horribly fond of. However, before and after their glam period, they primarily produced art-rock (you know, avante garde work) and progressive/experimental rock.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:14 pm
GilAskan
Dead Ed

I'm trying to avoid their glam work. Much of their mid-career music was glam, a style I'm not horribly fond of. However, before and after their glam period, they primarily produced art-rock (you know, avante garde work) and progressive/experimental rock.

So in essence, they did Pink Floyd-ish work? (not necessarily saying that one takes after the other - I'm sure Roxy came first - just that Pink Floyd was also a Progressive and Experimental group)  

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:39 am
Dead Ed
GilAskan
Dead Ed

So in essence, they did Pink Floyd-ish work? (not necessarily saying that one takes after the other - I'm sure Roxy came first - just that Pink Floyd was also a Progressive and Experimental group)

In sound? Not like Pink Floyd. Like Pink Floyd in that they moved beyond traditional music barriers, though, they didn't do it in the same ways.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:09 pm
Ah, I see now 3nodding
... though, I'm sorry I can't answer your question as to what would be a good album to buy, having only recently heard of them, myself. sweatdrop  

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

Cockroach Waltz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:06 am
Roxy are classic.

Personally I like "Avalon" which is one of their early 80's albums. Its more poppy and straight forward then their early work but its really nice chill music.

Avoid "More Than This: The Best Of Bryan Ferry And Roxy Music" like the plague.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:44 pm
Bryan Ferry's album Mamouna was interesting
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz8t3VCm16Y  

This Old Oscillator

Music - Related Topics

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out