Evinyatar

Interstellar Prophet

8,390 Points
  • Springtime Scavenging 25
  • Interstellar Fixer 25
  • Expert Skill 150
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:32 pm

Hello, you all.

This is my third day on Gaia and my first day in this guild.

I am English-, Chinese-, and Malaysian-American.

I am a future teacher and politician. biggrin

I am not the model minority stereotype.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:13 pm

hiya!! welcome to gaia and the guild!!

lol... im chinese too! and american btw

ni hao ma?

animemangafan4

1995cheverolot

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:31 pm

hey..I'm new to the guild too...feel free to add me
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:32 pm

animemangafan4

ni hao ma?

are you mandarin? question

1995cheverolot

lollerskater123321

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:25 am

crystalstar1919
animemangafan4

ni hao ma?

I am!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:38 pm

crystalstar1919
animemangafan4

ni hao ma?

yep!

animemangafan4

Evinyatar

Interstellar Prophet

8,390 Points
  • Interstellar Fixer 25
  • Expert Skill 150
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:18 pm

Wo hen hao. Ni ne? (My Chinese needs a little work.)

Thank you all for the welcome.

My mom speaks Mandarin. My dad speaks Hokkien. So unfortunately I was stuck with English at home.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:23 pm

Evinyatar
Wo hen hao. Ni ne? (My Chinese needs a little work.)

Thank you all for the welcome.

My mom speaks Mandarin. My dad speaks Hokkien. So unfortunately I was stuck with English at home.

lol. wo hen hao.

really? i speak chinese, a little of taiwanese, and english at home. do u go to a chinese school?

animemangafan4

Evinyatar

Interstellar Prophet

8,390 Points
  • Interstellar Fixer 25
  • Expert Skill 150
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:13 am

animemangafan4
do u go to a chinese school?

I used to when I lived in New Jersey with my parents. When I was a junior in high school, I went to Remedial Mandarin/Grade 1. When I was a senior, there wasn't enough retention for the school to start another remedial class, so I got placed in Grade 3 with eight-year olds - which proved to be an interesting experience.

I was the only one in both of my Chinese school classes that wanted to go to Chinese School. My parents didn't want me to go. It was the opposite for most people there.

Now I live in Central New York. There aren't any Chinese Schools here.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:34 pm

oh i c.. lol, the one with u and the eight year olds sounds interesting indeed

hmm... really? thats weird.. does ur parents speak chinese at home often? well, lol, i guess here in california is different. whee i think the west might have more azns btw, so yea

animemangafan4

Evinyatar

Interstellar Prophet

8,390 Points
  • Interstellar Fixer 25
  • Expert Skill 150
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:14 pm

I'm actually vacationing in California right now. smile

Since my parents speak different dialects of Chinese, they have to speak English to each other. So unfortunately I didn't grow up speaking Chinese.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:30 pm

Evinyatar
I'm actually vacationing in California right now. smile

Since my parents speak different dialects of Chinese, they have to speak English to each other. So unfortunately I didn't grow up speaking Chinese.

ooo... really? where?

oh i c.. no wonder. my parents came from taiwan and both speaks chinese mandarin and taiwanese so i grew up with parents that speak the same language

animemangafan4

Ouiaboo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:07 pm

[ 聖ルヂーと言う:]

Hei~ another mixed Asian! I'm Black/Asian/Caucasian (African/East Indian and Chinese/English and Spanish [Spain]), so it's good to see I'm not the only one. Oh, you're English too… nice! Good to see people who break the stereotypes, too. I don't speak Chinese at all since I'm only of Chinese descent (Hakka, not Cantonese or Mandarin whee ), so I have to teach myself, but I haven't been studying much lately.

Most people I know online didn't want to go to Chinese school, and you are one of the few I've known to have wanted to go, but I think it's good that you wanted to go.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:28 pm

St. Rudy
[ 聖ルヂーと言う:]

Hei~ another mixed Asian! I'm Black/Asian/Caucasian (African/East Indian and Chinese/English and Spanish [Spain]), so it's good to see I'm not the only one. Oh, you're English too… nice! Good to see people who break the stereotypes, too. I don't speak Chinese at all since I'm only of Chinese descent (Hakka, not Cantonese or Mandarin whee ), so I have to teach myself, but I haven't been studying much lately.

Most people I know online didn't want to go to Chinese school, and you are one of the few I've known to have wanted to go, but I think it's good that you wanted to go.

hiya! lol, nice. but can u speak a little of mandarin or catonese?

chinese school is fun (sort of) but it is good to go!

animemangafan4

Evinyatar

Interstellar Prophet

8,390 Points
  • Interstellar Fixer 25
  • Expert Skill 150
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:01 pm

animemangafan4: I was in San Rafael. Now I'm back in Central NY.

St. Rudy: Hey. smile

Just curious, do people doubt your Asian ethnicity? I get that all the time from all sides. It's sad to see it especially from the place that I'm from because there's a small Asian American community and the last thing I want to see is Asians fighting Asians.

All: Chinese school was interesting for me, especially since I am a future high school teacher. While I feel it's sad that most students at my Chinese school take it for granted, I also feel that one has to want to learn a language to learn it. Yes, everyone else in the class (and when I mean everyone else, I mean everyone else) came from families who taught them Chinese and families who helped them with their homework. They knew more coming in, but the reason why I did so well compared to them (I was 4th in my Remedial Mandarin 1 class and 3rd in my 3rd Grade class.) was because I wanted to learn the language. My brothers were sent off to Chinese school once I went (I always babysitted my brothers at home and if I was at Chinese school, I couldn't be at home.); they were straight A students in their public school but they did very poorly in Chinese school. My brother, who complains of a 95 in his public school, once had a 12 and didn't really care. Yes, I hope my classmates will want to learn Chinese one day, but I also realize that it's their personal decision.

I used to go to a two-year school before I transferred into my current four-year one. Though I transferred, my credit's didn't (long story). After I get my degree from the four-year school I think I'm going to go back to the two-year school and take some Chinese classes. Might as well complete my degree and learn some Chinese at the same time. Hopefully I can teach at the Chinese school I went to one day.

By the way, you all can add me to your friends lists if you like.
New to the guild ? Come in and introduce yourself to APG

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff