0%  [ 0 ]
Gold!!
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 7

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:28 am
I'd like to know who else reads books by her. I've read a lot of her books, but can't for the life of me find the ones I haven't read. I still need Light Princess, The Stone Fey, and Imaginary Lands. All the other ones that I haven't read I chose not to. They didn't look so interesting. And I didn't like The Outlaws of Sherwood at all, so I never finished it.

So, anyone else like her books?  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:16 am
heart Oh yah! I've been a Robin McKinley fan for a long time. Her stories always seem to be filled with such enchantment and most of them I can read over and over again.

3nodding I think my favorite is Rose Daughter, it's one of the best Beauty and the Beast stories I've ever seen. I also love Beauty, and Spindles End. Deerskin was unusual which was very refreshing.

I was, however, very disappointed in Sunshine. It had a great concept, vampires, an anti-hero love interest, a girl with sunshine as her element...but I found that she built you up and then the end just didn't work for me...it seemed so anti-climatic. Maybe it's just me, what do you guys think? sweatdrop  

FaeDreamer

Dapper Gaian

1,650 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:22 am
I liked Sunshine. It wasn't a book that I can read over and over again, but I still liked it. But, yeah, the ending kinda sucked. It was just... all this build-up for the ending and then... it was so easy for them to beat Bo. I mean, really. If he was so god-awful strong, wy did it only take like 15 pages to beat him and then finish the story? All right, I'm over-exagerrating. But that's how it seemed to me. My favorite was and always will be The Blue Sword. It was also the first book by her that I read, and I love it. Deerskin is also one of my favorites by her, and I like Spindle's End, too. I don't really remember either Beauty or Rose Daughter, though. It's been a few years since I read them, because I checked them out in the library at my middle school.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:09 pm
I liked Sunshine, even if the ending was anti-climactic. It was an interesting book. That's the book that started my whole vampire book phase. And I got it by accident. Technically. I just didn't know it was a vampire book, just that it was by Robin McKinley.  

Kolibris

FaeDreamer

Dapper Gaian

1,650 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:32 pm
Ok, well at least I don't feel alone, I really enjoyed Sunshine until the end. For a vampire book it wasn't bad I just didn't like the end. stare  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:15 pm
I've heard of her. I guess the books that I've read were okay... not the best I've ever read, though.  

Ayamechan

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:21 am
She's not the best author ever, I'll admit that. But I've read plenty of books worse than hers.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:26 pm
She isn't the greatest, but she's good. I like The Hero and The Crown best. The Blue Sword seemed harder to get into..... Sunshine was okay, but it seemed..... Kind of disappointing? I don't know; I kind of expected more from it. Maybe 've just got strange standards.  

Wordstreamer~Nifty Fairy~

Festive Fairy

Hakumei_Tenshi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:51 pm
Agh, this is so awesome! I've read books from about all the authors posted on here! Incuding McKinley! I loved her book, the Blue Sword.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:08 pm
i love robin mckinley! i love the blue sword and sunshine! i must have read the blue sword like ten times its so GOOD!  

angelic5252

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:45 pm
Have you read The Hero and the Crown? It's a prequel, of a sort, to The Blue Sword, and such a good book. I like The Blue Sword better, but that's mostly because I like the plot and characters better. Though the horse (the name of him escapes me at the moment) is such a great character. Sounds weird, don't it? But he's awesome, horse or no. I think he'd make a great human. n.n  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:00 am
McKinley is a Minor Deity in my book. Her work is so good! Especially the earlier books. Beauty was, is, and always will be on my comfort-read shelf.

I wish she would write the sequel that Sunshine was clearly leaving room for. Of course, I'd like her to write the as-yet-unwritten (and maybe never-to-be-written) third book in the Damar series, too. Both Blue Sword and Hero and the Crown are high on my list of beloved books.

Rose Daughter and Spindle's End were good, but have never made it to my top favorite list. In RD's case I think it is because I grew up with Beauty and cannot reall forgive the 2nd book for not being the first--which is entirly ridiculous and not the book's fault at all. SE, well, it was ok, but I prefered the opening bits from the good fairy's POV to the last half from the princess's.

And then there are all the others smile "Knot in the Grain" is high on my list of favorite short stories, as is "Stone Fey." The last is so lovely and so sad.  

mylittleshadow

Hiitachin Kaoru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:42 pm
I liked Rose Daughter, Beauty, Spindle's End, and Sunshine the best. I dont really agree with Sunshine being anticlimatic though, I liked the end. ninja  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:01 pm
I've been dying to read some Robin McKinley lately. I have A Knot in the Grain at home and I'd like to reread it. Sadly, I never read any of her novels. My mom used to check them out of the library for me, but I just wasn't interested. I've been wanting to read them since I read about them in the retold fairy tales thread a few days ago. 3nodding  

binaryfaerie

Sparkly Fairy

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:16 pm
Read Deerskin! n.n It's my favorite re-told fairy tale, ever. Though the beginning is a bit... depressing. And... um... disturbing, maybe. It had my friend shrieking at me about why I had her read it. xp It's so good after she gets to the other kingdom.  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff