Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Fallen_kitsune_thief's Humble Art Abode (NEW 5/5 PG 2) Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

AMItotic

Nebulous Trash

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:22 pm
Well, hi there! 8D

My name is Fallen_kitsune_thief, but because that's a good six-syllable mouthful, you can use FKT for short. I've been on Gaia for two years, Deviantart for almost one, and an artist for as long as I can remember. Although I've yet to take any classes, I try to do my best, and any help you can give this fifteen-year-old academically-overloaded crazy will be much appreciated, and I'll try to return the favor if I can.

I'll always have my Deviantart up for a good looksie, but I'll also have a few links that either won't be on my Deviantart or that I'd like to specifically feature for the time being. I'd really like to hear people's favorites, their not-so-favorites, and some things they'd like to see more of.

Thanks for stopping by,
FKT  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:24 pm
Deviantart Gallery

[x] - This is on my Deviantart, but I'm particularily fond of the water effects, as well as the expression of the girl's face. (Okay, so I know the water effects are weak, but it was my first try). Any constructive criticism would be great, and it would be even better if you happened to know of any Painter tutorials on the subject.

[x] - Not on my Deviantart, this is the first stage for a child in a shop that I'm working on, and he has the essence of Cthulhu. Not much in particular I want critiqued in general, but if there's something you notice, let me know.

[x] - Also not on the Devart, another child for the same shop with the essence of the assyrian god Shamash. Once again, nothing in particular I'd like you to look out for, but it'd still be nice.  

AMItotic

Nebulous Trash

AMItotic

Nebulous Trash

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:33 pm
And, one more post just in case. ^_^ You may post now.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:18 am
Hey there and welcome ^_^

As a general statement, do some life drawing. It's a common them of mine, and -all- styles can benefit from a solid foundation in it. Try to do a page of observed drawings a week, at least. You'll see improvements that just getting crits can't give you.
One thing I'd really like to see in your work is more variation in line weights. It'll add more interest, and if done right can help give volume and a 3D quality to work.
You're on the right track, hope to see plenty more stuff from you  

Wispered

AMItotic

Nebulous Trash

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:16 pm
Thanks! I've tried a bit of real life sketching, but wasn't sure how much to do in relation to working on my style. I'll also keep in mind the line thickness idea, though that'll probably take some time to develop. xd  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:17 pm
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y247/fallen_kitsune_thief/Penelope_Lines-1.jpg

A WIP for a new character. I also have the lineart for anyone who wants to help me color this, as I'm still experimenting with Painter.  

AMItotic

Nebulous Trash

AMItotic

Nebulous Trash

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:36 pm
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/52364510/

Finished the previous picture: doesn't it look pretty? 8D  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:14 am
Hey there ^_^ Sorry I missed your last update. I'm not as sturdy on colour, but one thing I noticed is there's not a lot of contrast in your picture. Don't be afraid to experiment with a lot of contrast in your work, it usually helps more than it hinders.

Do you use a different colour for highlights and shadows than your base?

Otherwise, things are looking good, keep it up ^_^  

Wispered

AMItotic

Nebulous Trash

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:51 pm
I usually go a few shades lighter for highlights, but I actually start with my base tone and work up in most instances. It doesn't make sense writing it out, but it works pretty well for me. *shrugs* I'll try doing a big contrast piece next, though.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:44 pm
Try using a completely different colour for shadows, like the complimentary, and the highlights should have the colour of your lightsource in them. It'll add contrast and look a bit more natural.  

Wispered

AMItotic

Nebulous Trash

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:02 pm
Okay, attempted something of what I figured you were trying to say, though I don't know how well I pulled it off:

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/52607772/

Is that sort of like what you meant?  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:33 pm
There is an inconsistency in your technique. First, I like the way you draw clothes, then the next there seems to be something wrong with it. But yeah, you have a strong point on clothes.

Work on your anatomy too. And experiment further with your colors.

You can do it! blaugh

Oblivious Mischief

Tricky Lunatic

12,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Jack-pot 100

Wispered

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:58 am
Ah, yes, that's certainly getting better. My next bit of advice would be not to shy away from contrast. Contrast will always make things come alive.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:12 pm
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/52997366/

Tried to do some more contrast. Though I think I might've gone a bit overboard. sweatdrop I also tried to do a background color that would contrast enough with the picture to somewhat bring it out.  

AMItotic

Nebulous Trash

Wispered

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:23 pm
Excellent! I don't think you went overboard at all, but in the future remember sometimes it's better to go overboard and conquer your nerves than to plug away at it slowly.
I'm not as convinced with the purple shading on the blue, probably would've used something a bit warmer and with some orange in it, but thats all practice. The other thing I'm going to mention is I can't see a deffinate lightsource. It seems to change. Always plan your lighting ahead of time so you're not guessing when you do your shadows.
But really, it's a significant improvement ^_^  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces