Submit

What should i get?
  Gold fish
  guppy
  betta
View Results

xLandSharkx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:17 pm
All right i got no fish. crying I've been fishless for a while now. I gotta small tank right ........it's like a gallon tank.......Any way what should i get?? Gold fish, guppy or another betta?  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:35 pm
ALLL OF THEM!!!!!!!  

BluDragon35
Vice Captain

Wealthy Sex Symbol

7,200 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Kansai_Gal

Aged Browser

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:46 pm
Yes, but not in the same tank!  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:14 am
Kansai_Gal
Unless you upgrade to like 100 gallon. Then everything will be peachy-kean! 4laugh  

BluDragon35
Vice Captain

Wealthy Sex Symbol

7,200 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Kansai_Gal

Aged Browser

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:45 pm
BluDragon35
Kansai_Gal
Unless you upgrade to like 100 gallon. Then everything will be peachy-kean! 4laugh
The betta might go after the guppy if its male though. Some are stupid.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:53 am
Kansai_Gal
BluDragon35
Kansai_Gal
I'd think that a 100gallon tank would be enough territory for a better to get along with a guppy. Not to mention the guppie would out swim the betta. 3nodding  

BluDragon35
Vice Captain

Wealthy Sex Symbol

7,200 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Fable Fae

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:46 pm
I wouldn't suggest putting much of anything in a one gallon tank, but if I had to suggest something out of those I would suggest the betta.

I wouldn't suggest a guppy, because from my experience, they are really very social and love to be around other guppies. I wouldn't recomend keeping multiple guppies in one gallon, they do like to get about. Very energetic. Also males get a little rowdy if they are not used to being kept with only other males. The less-bold ones like to have a place to run away from the fiesty ones. Not much room to run away in 1 gallon.

Whatever you do, do not get a goldfish unless you have a 20 or 30 gallon aquarium. The safe amount of goldfish that can live in a 20 gallon is 1 goldfish; 2 goldfish for the 30 gallon (and about an extra 10 gallons for every additional goldfish). They produce a whole lot more waste than most other fish. I'm telling you these creatures secrete and dispense from pretty much every orifice LOL.

So because of this there must be a lot of water for those wastes to break down via the nitrogen cycle, which you should establish in your tank before adding fish.

Even in a 1 gallon tank you can establish some type of cycle, in which beneficial bacteria will help rid ammonia from the water. However, it is very very important that you always do partial water changes in your tank every few days, especially in small tanks. (Note: Partial water changes are even important in bigger tanks, and should also be done about once a week.)

There are quick fixes you can buy from your Local Fish Shop for this, or you could look up information on how to do it with ammonia. If you don't trust yourself, just buy the bottled magical substance that will take care of it for you. If you think you will be changing the water super-frequently, you could probably do without it. But if you think you might forget to change the water now and then, you could use a drop or two for your small tank. There are various brands to chose from, and it was a little confusing for me to find what I was looking for at first, but all you need to do is look for something that says it prevents "New Tank Syndrome". It should say that it contains a blend of aerobic, anaerobic and faculative bacteria which facilitate the breakdown of waste organics, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. The one I use is called Stability, and it says it's harmless to all aquatic organisms and plants, yadda yadda yadda... Basically look for that.

Using gravel from an already established and healthy tank is also a good option for colonizing bacteria in your tank. If you know a friend or relative who is a fishkeeper, see if they can spare a handful. If you do know someone with a tank and they have a pump or filter, ask them for some water squeezed from their filter media. Be sure not to let any of that bacteria-filled water or gravel come in contact with untreated tap water, or anything else that might contain chlorine/chloramines, as it will kill thems bacterias dead and they will be of no use to you. ):

If your 1 gallon tank doesn't have a small filter, be sure to at least equip it with a simple airstone to keep the water well aireated for whoever you decide to place in there!

If you already know all of this--lol I typed it all for nothing. Crycrysobsob.

I hope you go for the betta, though. They do like their space as most any other fish, but they can do okay in just a gallon. (At least it is better than what most people try and keep them in xd )

If you decide to go with a betta, have a look around the Internet for some tips on keeping it happy and healthy. If you can get your hands on a small aquatic plant that requires low lighting, a betta will likely enjoy that. Just be sure to cut it back some if it grows too much, so your frisky little fighter has more than just wiggle room! (:

Keep us updated on what you plan on doing~ We'll love to hear on what you decide!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:32 am
BluDragon35
Kansai_Gal
BluDragon35
Kansai_Gal
I'd think that a 100gallon tank would be enough territory for a better to get along with a guppy. Not to mention the guppie would out swim the betta. 3nodding
Well, it can't be good for any fish to be living in fear all the time. xd

And yes, for a one gallon, the only "choice" is a betta. They're the only ones who could be kept in anything so small.

On a side (?) note, I have to think that goldfish are the most abused pets in the world given the space they're actually given and the space they really need...  

Kansai_Gal

Aged Browser

BluDragon35
Vice Captain

Wealthy Sex Symbol

7,200 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:00 pm
What can you expect from fish breed to be feeders? xp  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:31 am
go for a female betta, they are cool and unusall  

55G FreshWater

55G FreshWater

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:33 am
actually if any thing of that list is going in that one gallon i would make it a betta and i would get some live plants for it to have fun around  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:50 pm
BluDragon35
What can you expect from fish breed to be feeders? xp
I dunno, mine were pretty carefree (stupid).  

Kansai_Gal

Aged Browser

SilverStarboy
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:34 pm
BluDragon35
Kansai_Gal
It would be cool however, Goldfish give off an amonia that would kill tropical fish  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:38 pm
I just bought a 2.5 gallon tank. I think Ill just put a few guppies in it  

SilverStarboy
Crew

BluDragon35
Vice Captain

Wealthy Sex Symbol

7,200 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:32 pm
SilverStarboy
BluDragon35
Kansai_Gal
It would be cool however, Goldfish give off an amonia that would kill tropical fish
All fish produce ammonia....its just that goldfish produce more of it. xp  
----::::The FISH Tank::::----

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff