Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Ember's collection of junk

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Wispered

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:50 am
I'm no good at fancy threads, this will be my general work thread.

It's been too long since I did any serious design, and I like this, but something just doesn't sit right. It's an email invite for my sis's bridal shower. Text censored for common sense reasons. If you guys wanna stalk me through my email, go for it.
The graphic was used because my sister used a similar one as a wax seal for her wedding invites. The font is Hoefler text in 80-95% blacks, I chose hoefler because it's casual enough for the feel of the shower but still nice enough to say wedding. And it has such fun numerals! but they don't show as much on this version.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:08 pm
Hey Eejbeej biggrin Really cool idea for a shower invite and glad to see you posting *w*;

Hrmm I'm no design expert... but I feel that maybe you can up the contrast a tad? Might just be my monitor though.

The date and the address seem somewhat akwardly placed? Try moving the address down and more towards the center a tad x_x;; then move the date up and to the left a tad :'D...

Lastly the hearts.. hrmm D'X... try having it bleed off the bottom edge too?

I'm not really sure on any of what I said 8D;; But good luck x_x;

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

PinkGhost

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:50 pm
Very cool!
I agree with T i r a e l; try pushing the hearts a little off the edge? Also, maybe try incorporating some of the lighter grey near the bottom?
I really like the simplicity and elegance of this.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:25 am
Hey guys! Thanks so much for the advice, I mucked around with it per your suggestions and came up with the following:

It's already been sent because of time and all that, but any further comments will be noted and kept for future reference.

And now...off to draw!! I hope...  

Wispered

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:33 pm
biggrin I think putting the heart lower does make it seem more balanced :3.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:11 pm
An actual drawing OMStars!! emo I'm so happy I cry.

Aaaanyway, I've a sketch for the first topic in the 100 picture challenge. Introduction

It's flipped, I thought I saved the non-flipped version, but apparently I was wrong. If it really bothers you, grab a mirror?
The cropping is going to be tall, white space to the right (though right now it looks like the left) and the top. No idea what to do with the background, very open for suggestions. Considering doing a detailed border, what do you think?
The drop hanging from the vine is a garnet, for January, so I know a deep red will be involved in the colour scheme. Debating traditional or digital, maybe a stab at both.

Geeze I talk a lot. And I swear I keep intending to do contest entries, I really do.

Suggest and shred away!  

Wispered

Wispered

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:39 pm
Introduction Inked Not sure how I'm going to colour so the lines are plain, will vary them if I end up keeping them

Sketch for Love

Comments, suggestions, shreds?  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 4:17 pm
Sorry for linking out, but I'm lazy.

Finished the Introduction piece. Gouache and india ink. First time ever painting seriously and I know it shows.

Self crits, sloppy brushwork. I have to be more careful than I usually am. Some of my colour choices are not so great, the vines get all wonky for example. The background was a... "I dunno what to do!! I'll just slap some paint down and hope it works!" type thing.

So any tips, hints, crits, on the painting especially will be appreciated. Comments on the line work are also completely acceptable. Much muahs.  

Wispered

pluto_san

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:45 pm
Hmmm... well the background could use some work...
maybe make it seem as though it is in the womb since you did use a reddish color and that's what I thought of when I saw it
^___^;;;

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:23 pm
Been out most of the day, hafta catch up on things tomorrow.
Pluto_san, I hadn't thought of that... hmm hmmm hmm *ponders*

As for now, quick and dirty sketch with quick and dirty digital colours done with my not so quick and dirty mouse. My rpg character Reyd is a fire Elf with a habit of stealing chickens. I forgot her dread beads *weeps*

Wispered

Wispered

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:19 pm
Didn't notice the link was broken. Fixed it  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:00 pm
Eejbeej
I'm no good at fancy threads, this will be my general work thread.

It's been too long since I did any serious design, and I like this, but something just doesn't sit right. It's an email invite for my sis's bridal shower. Text censored for common sense reasons. If you guys wanna stalk me through my email, go for it.
The graphic was used because my sister used a similar one as a wax seal for her wedding invites. The font is Hoefler text in 80-95% blacks, I chose hoefler because it's casual enough for the feel of the shower but still nice enough to say wedding. And it has such fun numerals! but they don't show as much on this version.

I'm curious if this invitation is going to be printed on a certain type of paper (coated or uncoated stock). The dark fonts and the background will make it hard to read for most readers even if it looks legible on the screen.

Black is an unusual color scheme to use as a theme for a bridal shower. What's the reason behind using all black with various opacities for your invitation ?  

Skye River

Enduring Elder

14,675 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Megathread 100

Wispered

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:36 pm
It was an email invite as I said, so strictly electronic which is why I was only worried about screen legibility.
I went with black because it reflects my sister's style and personality. She and her fiance want to have an oriental meets coffee house asthetic for their home. Coffee houses especially involve a lot of graphic solid colours and a lot of black.
On top of which, my sister is not a froofy fluffy girly girl, so a more traditional wedding looking thing wouldn't have suited.
I found, personally, that the black was more fun while still being classy. The opacities were again because I thought it looked classy. I'm fond of minimal colour schemes, thus only the black and the white. I find that, in design especially, less is more.  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games