Submit

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:30 pm
[Under Construction]

[Deletion May Be Soon]  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:23 pm
Quote:
Being an avid fan of goth-rock and related genres (deathrock, darkwave, psychobilly, etc.)
-Having an active interest in or support of the goth culture
-Wearing DIY clothes
-Wearing thrift-store clothes
-Wearing dark but warm colors
-Wearing any of the numerous fashion styles developed in and associated with the goth culture (cyber-goth, romantigoth, gothic lolita, classic-goth, etc.)
-Wearing ornate antique-style jewelry, typically made of silver
-Wearing victorian or cabaret influenced fashion
-Having a strong interest in philosophy (particularly existentiallism and romanticism)
-Having a natural inclination to learn
-Having a fondness of books and poetry
-Having an artistic inclination or appreciation
-Enjoying going to theaters, art shows, and museums
-Appreciating sarcasm, satire, parody, or other forms of implied humor
-Having interest in the concepts of contrast (good and evil, light and dark, etc.)
-Appreciating sensual pleaures (scented candles, the touch of velvet, etc.; pleasing, refined stimulation of the senses)
-An active interest in politics, religion, and the morality behind either
-Being socially liberal but politically conservative (i.e. libertarianism, capitalism)
-Being religiously experimental (studying and practicing multiple religions)
-Having moderate takes on opinions
-Disliking small-talk, prefering serious conversation
-Are willing to hear and accept the viewpoints of others

so.... making my own clothes, wearing silver, wearing dark colors, liking poetry and books, using and understanding sarcasm, satire, and the lot, etc (i could go on) qualifies me as being goth?

wow... no wonder people say i'm goth....  

mechanical kitsy

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:02 pm
xXx kitsy xXx
Quote:
Being an avid fan of goth-rock and related genres (deathrock, darkwave, psychobilly, etc.)
-Wearing DIY clothes
-Wearing any of the numerous fashion styles developed in and associated with the goth culture (cyber-goth, romantigoth, gothic lolita, classic-goth, etc.)
-Having a strong interest in philosophy (particularly existentiallism and romanticism)
-Having interest in the concepts of contrast (good and evil, light and dark, etc.)
-Appreciating sensual pleaures (scented candles, the touch of velvet, etc.; pleasing, refined stimulation of the senses)
-Being socially liberal but politically conservative (i.e. libertarianism, capitalism)

so.... making my own clothes, wearing silver, wearing dark colors, liking poetry and books, using and understanding sarcasm, satire, and the lot, etc (i could go on) qualifies me as being goth?

wow... no wonder people say i'm goth....

No. Read what I said above it more carefully, please. These are not factors which make you goth, nor do they qualify one being goth. They are simply traits that goths commonly share.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:36 pm
Quite a lovely thought, that all in all gothic culture is indeed becoming just that. Ideal and common grounds in which to explore and share, not only fashion and a bit of the macabe, but that other groups and nationallities can submerge themselves within so much artwork and music, and novels.
Makes me what to dance in the rain, it really does. Be right back, lol.  

Toucan Shay

Hurly60

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:06 am
I think that i qualify to the Goth culture ninja  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:22 am
Yeah, I fit most of those.
So goth does suit me well.  

DarkPhsycotic

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:53 pm
You forgot to add cave-goths gonk  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:24 pm
Major Sub-branches and Overlaps
Ignoring the definition of someone who is just a "plain" goth, here are some major sub-divisions of the culture:

Cyber-Goth
A goth who crosses over between the goth and futurist (also known as "cyber"; see below) subculture. Cybergoths dress in futuristically inspired outfits (as opposed to the typically victorian influence outfits) and typically listen to darkwave (a combination of goth-rock and electronica), such as the Cruxshadows.

RomantiGoth
A goth who crosses over between the goth and New Romantic subcultures, or draws influence from either movement. Romantigoths dress in turn-of-the-century style wear, drawing strong influence from Victorian, Edwardian, Baroque, and even Renaissance fashion. Romantigoths are sometimes mockingly called "mopey goths". Romantigoths listen to music with such influences, such as Voltaire.

Industrial-Goth
A goth who crosses over between the goth and industrial subcultures. Industrial goths take on more abrasive fashion, drawing influence from rivet-head (industrial fans) fashion, as well as militaristic influence. Industrial-goths regularly listen to darkwave (see above) and EBM (a blend of industrial and techno), such as Nitzer Ebb.

Punk-Goth/Classic Goth
Goths devoted to the early scene (which grew out of punk, obviously). These goths tend to be older, and wear fashions of the time (tight black jeans, leather jackets, black aviators, Robert-Smith-hair, etc.). They likewise listen to early goth bands and proto-goth bands, like Adam Ant or Gloria Mundi.

Deathrock-Scene
Deathrock (not to be confused with death-metal) was a dark, ominous form of punk which grew alongside goth in the early 80's. Mostly develeoped in America by a handful of bands (most noteably Christian Death). The death-rock scene has wild, violent fashion, drawing influence from glam and punk, as well as from old horror movies. The scene was eventually absorbed into the goth culture.

Psychobilly
The odd blend of goth and rockabilly subcultures. Pioneered by such bands as the Meteors and the Cramps, the style of music has a small following, which has essentially been absorbed entirely into the goth-culture. Very similar to the death-rock scene, fashion wise.

New/Neo Romantics
The New Romantic movement was a fashion and philosohy movement of the late 70's and early 80's. Equipped with effeminate, glam-inspired fashion, the New Romantics (as the original romantics did) primarily believed that science and logic only made life worse, and that faith, love, and artistic expression would make for a better life.

Futurists
The Futurist movement was a musical and philosophical movement of the late 70's and early 80's. Musically, the futurists embraced progressed, experimental synthesized music. Philosophically (in opposition to the new romantics), Futurists believed in forward-thinking and innovation, and that these things would allow for new artistic and eccumenic expression.

Neo-Goth
"Neo-goths" as a whole aren't goths, but instead, are a new wave of club-goers who wear goth-influenced fashion. Neo-goth fashion is typical club fashion, though, with a darker twist. Neo-goths listen primarily to darkwave music, leaning more towards that which is more electronic in nature, such as VNV Nation.

GRaver
GRaver is a simple portmanteau of "goth raver". GRavers are much like neo-goths, and are, rather simply, ravers who draw inspiration from the goth culture.

EGA/EGL
This pair of acroymns stands for "Elegant Gothic Aristocrat" and "Elegant Gothic Lolita" respectively. Not so much an actual culture as it is a Japanese varient of goth fashion, followers of EGA and EGL will listen to darkwave as well as symphonic metal; the group Malice Mizer (who popularized the fashion) is particularly popular. The fashion revolves around a style which makes it's wearers look similar to Victorian porcelain dolls.

Voltair couldn't have said it better himself  

Scott Ritter

xX~Vampyre_Erotica~Xx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:55 am
-Being an avid fan of goth-rock and related genres (deathrock, darkwave, psychobilly, etc.)

-Wearing DIY clothes

I have lots, rad  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:00 am
(You forgot new-age goths)  

xX~Vampyre_Erotica~Xx

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:32 am
The_Angry_Fatalist
Yeah, I fit most of those.
So goth does suit me well.

xX~Vampyre_Erotica~Xx
I have lots, rad

Please, read the post more carefully. It's not a goth check list, or a requirement list. They're traits that goths share. Not traits that make people goth, essentially.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:48 pm
Dead Ed

cave goths?  

Beatngufan

Beatngufan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:50 pm
I think I'm more of a GRaver  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 2:16 pm
Beatngufan
Dead Ed

cave goths?

Just an ongoing joke, started by a picture I photoshopped.

User Image  

GilAskan
Crew

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:23 pm
GilAskan
Beatngufan
Dead Ed

cave goths?

Just an ongoing joke, started by a picture I photoshopped.

User Image

I still say that teased hair would've looked so much cooler on him...
but oh well, I guess I'm just too lazy to make the pic myself (that, and I have Paint, not Photoshop gonk )  
Life Issues & Fashion

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff