Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.
London bombed. the police lied. Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mr. Bono Vox

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 3:48 am
Quote:
Multiple blasts paralyse London

Firefighters aid an injured passenger at Aldgate station
Large numbers of casualties have been reported after at least six explosions on the Underground network and a double-decker bus in London.
UK Home Secretary Charles Clarke said several explosions in central London had caused "terrible injuries".

The BBC's Frank Gardner said Arab sources said the blasts were probably the work of al-Qaeda but police have not confirmed a terrorist link.

All Tube services and bus services in central London have been suspended.

London police chief Sir Ian Blair urged people to stay where they were and not to call emergency services unless it was a life-threatening situation.

Sir Ian said there had been "many casualties" but said it was too early to put a figure to those killed or injured and he reassured the public that an emergency plan was in place and the situation was "steadily coming under control".

Mr Clarke told reporters outside Downing Street: "The health services are in support to deal with the terrible injuries that there have been."

Sir Ian Blair said there had been at least six explosions, but said the picture was still "very confused".

Scotland Yard said explosions have been reported at Edgware Road, King's Cross, Liverpool Street, Russell Square, Aldgate East and Moorgate.

08:49 police called to Liverpool Street tube station after reports of a bang
Blasts also reported at Aldgate East, Edgware Rd, Kings Cross, Moorgate, Russell Square tube stations
10:14 Reports of blast on bus at Tavistock Square

Number 10 said it was "still unsure" whether the explosions were a terrorist attack and although casualties were reported, no further details were yet available.

Prime Minister Tony Blair is to make a live televised statement on the explosions in London at 1200 BST, Downing Street added.

All London Underground services have been suspended indefinitely and bus services in central London (Zone One) have been halted.

A spokesman for Vodafone said emergency services were being given priority access to the mobile phone network which was causing problems for other users.

One caller to BBC Five said his friend had seen "the bus ripped open like a can of sardines and bodies everywhere".

Loyita Worley, who works for a City law firm, said she was on the underground train when an explosion took place in the next carriage, while it was in a tunnel.

The 49-year-old said: "All the lights went out and the train came to an immediate halt. There was smoke everywhere and everyone was coughing and choking, but remained calm. We couldn't open the doors."

Once the doors were opened they were taken along to Liverpool Street station.

She said the carriage where an explosion happened was "black on the inside" she saw people who appeared to have their clothes blown off, and she saw bodies lying inside the carriage.

And the Press Association quoted union officials as saying sources had told them there had been at least one explosive device on the Underground.

There was immediately smoke everywhere and it was hot and everybody panicked. People started screaming and crying

British Transport Police said incidents took place at Aldgate, Edgware Road, King's Cross, Old Street and Russell Square stations.

Scotland Yard confirmed they were assisting with a "major incident" and said there were casualties.

Hospitals have said they are no longer accepting non-emergency cases, BBC Five Live reported.

The National Grid, which supplies power to the Underground, said there had been no problems with its system which could have contributed to the incidents.

'Screaming and crying'

Jacqui Head, from BBC News, who had just left King's Cross station on a Piccadilly Line train as an explosion happened, said: "Everything was normal. Suddenly there was a massive bang, the train jolted.

"There was immediately smoke everywhere and it was hot and everybody panicked. People started screaming and crying."

The train was kept in the tunnel for 20 minutes and no announcement was made to explain the delay to passengers, she added.

Liberal Democrat MP Simon Hughes, near Kings Cross, told Five Live: "My only thought in the midst of all this confusion is that after the celebration of yesterday (for the Olympic 2012 London success) for people to be evil enough - if it is the intentional causing of death and injury - and think that they can justify this in any circumstances is completely unacceptable."

London Fire Brigade said four crews were at Liverpool Street and more were on their way.

Another passenger, who had left the Tube at Fenchurch Street Station, and walked to Aldgate East, told BBC Five Live that he saw injured people.

"As I walked through the bus station I could see people lying on the ground, black, as if they'd been covered in smoke. There were about three or four people on the floor being treated."

Eyewitness Paul Woloszyn from BBC News, who was at Blackhorse Road station on the Victoria Line, said: "We were told there was a bomb at Liverpool Street station.

"I was on the Tube, and they stopped the train and told everyone to get off and evacuate the station."

He said staff had said the entire Tube network had been affected, and leaflets had been handed out with details of alternative bus routes.

Another eyewitness, Dorothy Molloy, had been on a Tube train at King's Cross and said "staff just chucked everyone out of the station".

She said staff there had not given any details, but she said two passengers she had spoken to had said they had received messages saying there had been bombs.

"People didn't really know what was going on, they were just huffing and puffing and saying how annoying it was," she said.

"People don't seem to be panicked, but there's so many police and ambulances coming into the areas. People are just concerned, and some are just annoyed at the delay."

our fair capital has been attacked confused sad stare

and after 7/7 and 7/21 on the 22nd of july Mr. De Menezes was gunned down while in his seat on a tube train. discusting.... just discusting. you could be next.

Quote:
Mistakes led to tube shooting
8.25PM, Tue Aug 16 2005

ITV News has obtained secret documents and photographs that detail why police shot Jean Charles De Menezes dead on the tube.

The Brazilian electrician was killed on 22 July, the day after the series of failed bombings on the tube and bus network.

The crucial mistake that ultimately led to his death was made at 9.30am when Jean Charles left his flat in Scotia Road, South London.

Surveillance officers wrongly believed he could have been Hussain Osman, one of the prime suspects, or another terrorist suspect.

By 10am that morning, elite firearms officers were provided with what they describe as "positive identification" and shot De Menezes eight times in the head and upper body.

The documents and photographs confirm that Jean Charles was not carrying any bags, and was wearing a denim jacket, not a bulky winter coat, as had previously been claimed.

He was behaving normally, and did not vault the barriers, even stopping to pick up a free newspaper.

He started running when we saw a tube at the platform. Police had agreed they would shoot a suspect if he ran.

A document describes CCTV footage, which shows Mr de Menezes entered Stockwell station at a "normal walking pace" and descended slowly on an escalator.

The document said: "At some point near the bottom he is seen to run across the concourse and enter the carriage before sitting in an available seat.

"Almost simultaneously armed officers were provided with positive identification."

A member of the surveillance team is quoted in the report. He said: "I heard shouting which included the word `police' and turned to face the male in the denim jacket.

"He immediately stood up and advanced towards me and the CO19 officers. I grabbed the male in the denim jacket by wrapping both my arms around his torso, pinning his arms to his side.

"I then pushed him back on to the seat where he had been previously sitting. I then heard a gun shot very close to my left ear and was dragged away onto the floor of the carriage."

The report also said a post mortem examination showed Mr de Menezes was shot seven times in the head and once in the shoulder, but three other bullets missed, with the casings left lying in the tube carriage.

Police have declined to comment while the mistaken killing is still being investigated.

http://www.itv.com/news/index_1677571.html

stare  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:03 am
Time for a bit of ED-P if you want it.

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8797718

I wish I could have faith in our Secret Service to find out who did it, but alas, I'm not sure I do..  

Invictus_88
Captain

Tsamikayu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:21 am
It all seems quite unbelievable . . .

The first I heard of it was when I turned on the TV in my room to play the PS2. The first channel that comes on is channel 1, and all I saw was the big letters 'London Bombed'. I just sat there staring at it, I could hardly believe it.

I hope no more people die because of the blasts. Two is too many. One would be too many.

I also hope that nothing happens in the other big cities like Cardiff, Edinburgh or Glasgow (I mention these in particular because my partner's in Cardiff and I'm in Scotland).

Like I said, it's almost unbelievable, but considering our recent track-record, it's not as surprising that such a thing would happen. A while ago no one seemed to like us [Britain] very much, because of the situation with Iraq and so on. Still . . . you never expect it to happen in your country.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:29 am
I turned on the tele this morning and I just couldn't -take in- what was on the screen.

Then the buses were bombed and we know it's a terrorist attack.

This hurts me. So incredibly much.

My mum figures it's because someone's not happy about us gaining the Olimpics which would rocket our economy (hopefully...) and had this planned before hand.

Painted Britain Blue

Fourcolour

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:35 am
-Painted Squirrel-
I turned on the tele this morning and I just couldn't -take in- what was on the screen.

Then the buses were bombed and we know it's a terrorist attack.

This hurts me. So incredibly much.

My mum figures it's because someone's not happy about us gaining the Olimpics which would rocket our economy (hopefully...) and had this planned before hand.

These attacks were clearly planned before yesterday afternoon.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:42 am
Fourcolour

These attacks were clearly planned before yesterday afternoon.

I meant they were planned way before the Olimpic announcments and put into effect once the results were definate.

neutral  

Painted Britain Blue

Lullabee

Timid Elocutionist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:08 am
So, it really was only 2 people? Some people have been saying 40 died. cry It really really was only 2 people who died?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:11 am
I have the BBC news on at the same time as being on the computor - so far its 33 people confirmed dead, but they havent how many people are dead from the explosion on the bus, so its more than 33.
I didnt realise what hapened till I got to collage, in philosophy everyone was talking about it- two people's parents were in London, the mobile phone networks were down, its the last day of collage and the atmosphere was horrible.
Im now going to go and try to call my friend who is in London, this is so scary, I can now get a little bit of insight into how the Americans felt on 9/ 11  

girl_no_13

x.Tag.Youre__Pregnant.]]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:20 am
Friends dad was on the bus that was blown up. Police phoned her mobile in english and told her he was in hospital. She cried.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:21 am
I've been watching the coverage all afternoon, and after a couple of hours I just wanted to escape from it. I thought about my usual form of escapism in times of trouble - superhero comics - but somehow knew that reading about worlds where problems can be solved with a cunning plan, and a decent kick to the solar plexus wouldn't cut it today. Went to work out, but that didn't help. It just made me feel angrier and more impotent. I want to help, but being untrained, without transport, and in the midlands there's no way I can.  

Fourcolour

Days of Empire

Mega Genius

7,750 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Overstocked 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:38 am
It's nice to see the War on Terror has been effective, isn't it?

I have to say I've been very impressed with the British people in this affair. The emergency services responded quickly and effectively, and people have stayed calm. There's no sense of panic, everyone's just getting on with life as best they can. As one elderly ex-PoW the BBC interviewed said: "We've seen this before, haven't we? Nil Desperandum. We'll get there in the end"

Lets face it people, we knew this was coming. And it could have been MUCH worse.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:45 am
Erix Griffon
It's nice to see the War on Terror has been effective, isn't it?

I have to say I've been very impressed with the British people in this affair. The emergency services responded quickly and effectively, and people have stayed calm. There's no sense of panic, everyone's just getting on with life as best they can. As one elderly ex-PoW the BBC interviewed said: "We've seen this before, haven't we? Nil Desperandum. We'll get there in the end"

Lets face it people, we knew this was coming. And it could have been MUCH worse.

Agreed. That old boy was an inspiration. I've seen that clip a few times this afternoon.  

Fourcolour

Blurred Intelligence

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:56 am
Al Qaeda has reportedly claimed responsability.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:01 am
33 reported deaths so far, 45 critically injured, 300 treated for minor injury.  

x.Tag.Youre__Pregnant.]]

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:03 am
I'm in two minds about this. Part of me feels deeply shocked that London was attacked. Londond to me has always just seemed so...dependable. The fact it's been brought to such a standstill is very alarming for me.
The more cycnical part of me says I should have ssome sense of proportion. There are probably about 50 dead (max) and 150 or so injured. When you think about the thousands of people in Africa who die every day from famine and AIDS, it pales in comparison. I mean, far more people even in this country die of cancer or in car crashes before their time every year. I hardly feel I should value the life of the British any higher than the life of any other citizen of the world just because we're rich, white and Western.
The sad thing is, though, that this news does affect me more deeply than the knowledge of incredible chaos and death in other countries. And that makes me feel guilty. We're incredibly priveliged over here - the families of those who died will almost certainly be receiving compensation from the government. Deaths and casualties were kept to an absolute minimum by the prompt action of the emergency services. And, of course, the injured are being given adequate medical care - something which, again, we are extremely privileged to have.
As I said, these events are shocking, but more shocking I think is the incredible amount of press attention they will receive (worldwide, not just in this country), when far worse events are taking place as we speak.  
The Politics Subforum, it was -almost- inevitable.

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games