Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply PFRC Mentoring Program
Nuri's Q&A topic Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 9 10 11 12 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:54 pm
Hi! I'm nuri. I've been a Hellenic Pagan for about 4 or 5 years now, and have studied mythology for even longer. I have been pagan of some stripe for about 9 years, in various stages of fluff and non-fluff. I hold a degree in English Studies, and I work in Special Education.

I'm known as "the nice one" abouts these parts, which truely scares me.

When I mentor, I tend to go for the "here's some resources, here's a couple of questions" and I expect you to answer them. You can take your time, but I expect you to fufill them. I don't expect perfection, and I love a questioning attitude.

I will also let you know when I don't know something. I'll help you research.

My topic will be used as a Q&A. Anything you don't want public can be PM'ed.

Current Caseload:

Dragon_witch_woman
kiba_girl

If you are currently being mentored by me, please PM me to be listed here. There are so many of you.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:01 pm
Um..ok I guess I'll start by asking if there are any major does and don'ts one needs to worry about in Hellinism. I'm sure I'm not in any danger of killing my mother, but I'm sure there are other things I should or shouldn't do.  

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:11 pm
Dragon_Witch_Woman
Um..ok I guess I'll start by asking if there are any major does and don'ts one needs to worry about in Hellinism. I'm sure I'm not in any danger of killing my mother, but I'm sure there are other things I should or shouldn't do.

I'd say the most basic thing of all is simple: All Things in Moderation (Including Moderation!) and that there was a variety of religious beliefs ranging from the mainstream state cults to the nymph-n-nature worshippers, and then any number of mystery and philosophical cults. It was crazy. If anyone says there is a one true Hellenism....run!  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:59 pm
'One true Hellinism.'...I'm not sure I would be able to run inbetween laughing hystaricly.

Anywho, next question:

Are there any....common holidays? Unfourtunaly, I'm hopeless in trying to understand the Athenian calander.  

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:32 pm
Dragon_Witch_Woman
'One true Hellinism.'...I'm not sure I would be able to run inbetween laughing hystaricly.

Anywho, next question:

Are there any....common holidays? Unfourtunaly, I'm hopeless in trying to understand the Athenian calander.

Varied from town to town, region to region. Let me get back to you with a more coherent answer, after I review something, mmkay?  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:06 pm
Nuri
Dragon_Witch_Woman

Anywho, next question:

Varied from town to town, region to region. Let me get back to you with a more coherent answer, after I review something, mmkay?
Cool with me. I know it varied from city-state to city-state, thats why I asked xd  

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:16 pm
I finally got a chance to go to the local library again, and checked out three books on Greek Civilization, makeing sure all of them had a section on religion, not just mythology. One was The Complete Idiot's Guide to Ancient Greece, I'll have to go check what the other two were.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:13 am
Awesome.

I haven't forgotten about the calendar, but my butt just got kicked. I'll get to it.  

maenad nuri
Captain

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:40 pm
So, I know that incense were a popular offering, so I've been burning incense, specificly to Demeter (I love gardening). My current selection is limited, but I've read she likes myrrh. I hope I'm at least on the right tract.

P.S. as you've probably noticed, i'm paranoid sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:17 pm
Dragon_Witch_Woman
So, I know that incense were a popular offering, so I've been burning incense, specificly to Demeter (I love gardening). My current selection is limited, but I've read she likes myrrh. I hope I'm at least on the right tract.

You are fine! myrrh is a fairly good all-purpose incense.

Best thing ever: Sannion does the research, so I don't have to.  

maenad nuri
Captain

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:04 pm
Nuri
Dragon_Witch_Woman

You are fine! myrrh is a fairly good all-purpose incense.

Best thing ever: Sannion does the research, so I don't have to.
Coooool, it seems to be a good thing I planted sunflowers xd  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:11 pm
Mmmk continueing on to the next question. A neighbor of mine just gave me three bottles of alchol for my birthday (I'll be 21 on wednesday the 11th) and, one of them, I know I cannot drink, because its moonshine. Would it be ok to offer it? I really hate to waste things.  

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:35 pm
Dragon_Witch_Woman
Mmmk continueing on to the next question. A neighbor of mine just gave me three bottles of alchol for my birthday (I'll be 21 on wednesday the 11th) and, one of them, I know I cannot drink, because its moonshine. Would it be ok to offer it? I really hate to waste things.

Of course!
And happy birthday, mines the 15th  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:37 pm
Nuri
Dragon_Witch_Woman

Of course!
And happy birthday, mines the 15th
Oh good! I need to lable that bottle so none of the kids take a swig and get a nasty surpize. And happy birthday to you xd My mom was gonna get me a ring with a Greek patturn on it, but it only comes in size seven, and I need at least a nine.  

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:03 pm
Ok next question; Florialia, and Earth Day. I know Floralia is Roman and Earth Day is modern, but one can still worship Flora (more accuratly Chloris in Greek) and Gaea these two day?  
PFRC Mentoring Program

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 9 10 11 12 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff