Welcome to Gaia! ::

Panic! At The Disco Fan Guild

Back to Guilds

A place for Panic! At The Disco fans to gather and discuss. 

Tags: Panic! At The Disco, Brendon Urie, Music 

Reply PANIC At The Disco Fan Guild
Book Discussions. [This is related to P!ATD, I swear!] Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

jenny without sound

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:22 pm
I was just curious...

Since we're all well aware of the fact that Ryan took a good amount of ideas from novelist Chuck Palahniuk for the songs on A Fever You Can't Sweat Out, and I'm sure almost all of us have read his works (Because I sure have! Except for Choke.. That was way too graphic for me.) and I was just wondering if anyone had any book reccomendations they were willing to share with all of us?

Okay, okay, so I'm just running out of books to read and I don't want to do the Panic! Book Club. I like this Gaia guild better; it's smaller and more intimate.

Well, I was just thinking that it'd be nice to have a discussion about books here. I thought it'd be fun. Of course, if this is too off-topic for the guild, I do beg pardon, but it is Panic! related to a certain level...

And if you, o holy guild leader, object to this thread, send it to the trash can; I don't want to upset anyone. >_>

SO I GUESS I WILL START THIS OFF!
Oh, the joy of making my own thread!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:29 pm
I feel nerdy doing a first post on my own thread.
But here are some memorable books from the top of my head!

- The Portrait Of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
    - Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk
    - Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk
    - Diary by Chuck Palahniuk
    - Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs
    - The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Cbosky

HMM.
Now I shall express my feelings on Palahniuk.

I mean, his works are okay. He is not a brilliant writer, but his style is pretty weird from everything else I've read. A lot of his books begin with the end, then lead to the events leading to the end, and it's really twisted and totally unexpected.

Except I really hated Lullaby.
That was a really annoying book.

Survivor was okay. That little part about the Jesus figurine getting stuck in the guy's eye.. priceless. rofl

And I never got to finish Haunted... >_> I think I shall check that out again.

What about everyone else? C:

jenny without sound

PrimeRibby
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:29 am
This is a great thread! Thank you for making it. <3

I can honestly say that I've never read any of the books Ryan has gotten ideas from. It's not that I don't like the fact that Ryan gets ideas from books and he is a big reader, it's just the fact that I'm not a big novel reader. Although, I'd love to read the book Closer, if that is a book. I heard it's a movie, but did it start out as a book? I've heard there are a lot of relations in Closer to A Fever You Can't Sweat Out.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:50 am
Oh yay, I've been approved! ^__^; heart

I was never a big reader either, but then I read one of Palahniuk's works and I became a book whore after that. sweatdrop And that's saying a lot, because I am an extremely picky reader.

Hmm, I don't think that Closer was actually a book to begin with, but I kind of want to watch the movie, even though I know almost nothing about it except Ryan stole lines from the movie to form song titles. d:

jenny without sound

PrimeRibby
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:48 am
You don't need my approval to create a thread. =D

Yeah, thats pretty much all I know about it too. I hope someday I'll read all of the books that are related to the album. It's kind of cool to think about someone like Ryan reading the exact same book as you read. So, those books you listed in the second post are just some of your favorite books? Or did Ryan get ideas off of them? You've inspired me to want to read them. xDD

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:36 pm
Yeah, I know, but.. I like the feeling of acceptance. xD

Ryan got ideas off the Palahniuk ones, although I'm not sure about Fight Club. xD It's also a movie, but I've never seen it... I might be tempted into downloading though. n________n;

One of the books I got from the Panic! book club, because I was lurking around there like a nerd, and the rest are just my own time reading. :3

READ.
It's good for the soul.

jenny without sound

PrimeRibby
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:12 pm
I've seen Fight Club. The movie. My friend was like, obsessed with it, and made me watch it. It's really twisted.

I feel like going to the library. =O

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:31 pm
I really loved the book, it's my favourite from Palahniuk. =D

Assuming that the two versions of Fight Club are somehow remotely similiar, I don't understand the ending of the book. Did the narrator die or did he go to the loony bin?
.. Actually that sounds like a stupid question now. I don't think he narrarates the dead or anything. So the guy got sent to the loony bin. Hmm. Okay, that makes sense now. xD

GO GO GO!
I'm waiting for my books to come.. Yes, I request books from the library and wait to pick them up with excitement. n____n;

I hate Daylights Savings.
IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO BE 5 O'CLOCK RIGHT NOW.
It's still 4 in my mind.

jenny without sound

PrimeRibby
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:44 pm
Fight Club was crazy. At the end, the dude wasn't actually real. eek I was like, WTF?! It kind of makes you think if some people are just figments of your imagination. He was like, psycho.

You must be an intense reader. Requesting books from the library is like, hardcore.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:41 pm
Haha, seriously.
I was like, "Ohh, no wonder he was always tired all the time.. split personality or something, eh?"
And now I see that he totally tried to foreshadow this twist.
Mm, clever.

There's this one part in the book that I really like for some weird reason, when they take Marla's mom's fat to make soap. I always think it's hilarious.

And thanks. ^_^;
Let's just say I have a lot of time on my hands... c:

I like how it's just me and you talking about this. I bet the other guild members are like, "WTFYO."

jenny without sound

PrimeRibby
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:13 pm
Ooooh. That soap part in the movie was disgusting. eek

Thats just how cool we are. talk2hand
Haha. =D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:56 pm
xDD
I read it in English class, while everyone was taking a test and then all of a sudden I just bursted out laughing and everyone gave me a look equivalent to "o______o?" and I felt like a nerd. c:

Hahah. ^___^;
Okay, we can be officially cool together.

jenny without sound

PrimeRibby
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:34 pm
Oooh lala. I love the color of that font.

I probably would of done the same thing. But at the same time, I'd have a " gonk " look on my face.

-high fives you- 8]

Okay, so, tomarrow morning I'm going to try to go to my school library before school starts. I'm going to look for some Chuck Palahniuk books. Yaaay. I'm excited.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:49 pm
Thanks. =D

I was more of like, ">__> -puts book away for a moment, until everyone stops looking, then resumes-"

WEWT.
hi-5'd.

That's the spirit!
I'm so happy.
I'm influencing people to read!
I have to go to the library tomorrow as well, I have two other books ready and waiting for me and I have to return one. c:

But then there's that stupid SWIM MEET in the way, so I won't be able to go until.. -gasps- OH NOES. Those things don't end until six. gonk I should have requested it to be in my school's public library. My school has two libraries - the public and the school.

But both suck.

jenny without sound

PrimeRibby
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:08 pm
You have definitely influenced and inspired me to read. <3 And we are talking about a girl who only reads Seventeen magazine and her school essays. xDD

Yesterday I printed out a sheet of all the Chuck Palahniuk books I wanted to read, and today before school I brought it to the library. I was searching for him on the computer, and my school library had none of his books! I showed my list to the librarian, and she said she'd order them for the library! =D

You're affecting my whole school library! xDD

So, I didn't find any of his books this morning. But I grabbed a random book from the shelf because I needed one for seminar. I'm going to check back in like, two weeks to see if the Chuck Palahniuk books are there yet.

PANIC At The Disco Fan Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 ... 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff