Negative portrayl? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

freelance lover
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:47 am
Have you ever seen those TV shows or movies or whatever than negatively portray Christians? The only one I can think of now is Degrassi. I don't watch the show often, and it's a fun drama and angst filled show but their only explicitly Christian character is this chick named Darcy.

I really hate the way she was portrayed because she's dating this guy who's not a Christian andhad already had sex before and she seemed completely overbaring on her no-sex policy. Like, they would be making out in her car or something and she would be like "No! We can't." And they would both stare at her little Jesus figurine on her dashboard. There was another point when she was going to give him sex just because someon told her she was going to lose him if she didn't.

All these portrayls just made me a bit upset. The first one because well, I wouldn't bring up my saving sex til marriage thing everytime my boyfriend and I kissed and the second made Christians seem weak-willed and hyporcritical.

Anyway, what other portrayls of Christians have you seen that just wasn't true to life?  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:18 pm
V for Vendetta! (I mentioned this in my thread so it may as well get mentioned here)

It would appear that the government in that film was Christian, but they banned other faiths and banned certain races.

But then V came and saved the day. (Phew)  

Deo_Machina

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:48 pm
While it was a great movie, it was a propaganda film if I ever saw one. "Let's stop the Christians now or this is what our world will be." Not true. Not true at all.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:38 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
While it was a great movie, it was a propaganda film if I ever saw one. "Let's stop the Christians now or this is what our world will be." Not true. Not true at all.

That's not what it was about, the underlying message was "never let the government take too much from you" or for us British folks, "NEVER VOTE BNP"

Note: The BNP (British National Party) Are totally into banning non-whites from the country. They are pretty much nazis.  

Deo_Machina

Fushigi na Butterfly

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:33 pm
I think they may have both been underlying messages. confused That's what I got out of it though. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:06 pm
Well maybe, but not so far as to be propaganda. It's not as if the characters are acting in God's name at least.  

Deo_Machina

Fushigi na Butterfly

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:34 pm
True.  
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:16 am
Really, it was taking the common majorities of the current day and putting them in total power. The conservative christians happen to be that. From what I see and probably what the writer of the comic saw is that these conservative christians are most likely to do that to the world.  

A Different Light

Aroarra

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:46 pm
I haven't actually seen Da Vinci Code, but I've heard it is kind of what you're talking about.I could be wrong, though. sweatdrop Just something I heard.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Aroarra
I haven't actually seen Da Vinci Code, but I've heard it is kind of what you're talking about.I could be wrong, though. sweatdrop Just something I heard.

I'm currently reading the DaVinci Code-Be careful with that one, because part of it's actual fact and part of it's pure fiction made to look like fact. It takes an educated mind to distiguish the truth from the lies.

It's a good read though. biggrin

Conan The Barbie Doll

PoppyDadswell

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:17 am
the passion of christ is balsphemous.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:09 pm
PoppyDadswell

ooh, now this one sounds like it oughta be good.

and just why is that?  

ioioouiouiouio

GuardianAngel44

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:50 pm
Cometh The Inquisitor
PoppyDadswell

and just why is that?

Yes, why is that?  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:36 pm
GuardianAngel44
Cometh The Inquisitor
PoppyDadswell

and just why is that?

Yes, why is that?

Yes! This is really interesting!

--I'd like to say that, sadly, I was more moved by Azlan getting killed in CoN than the entire Passion of the Christ.

And I LOVE Poppy-san's avatar! I wore that outfit for Halloween!!

Viviane_neechan

Blessed Codger

Adrilaxas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:11 am
Hmm... *pokes around brain*
I think the only portrayal I can think of is a portrayal in the media... It's the YEC group.  
Media Discussion {Everything on TV is true}

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff