Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Starre's Sketchbook - New Picture Page 4(9/28/09) Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

LavenderMintRose

Cheery Sweetheart

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:06 pm

Edit 9/7/09: Oh wow... I left for a while because the guild wasn't really active, plus I wasn't drawing much... now it seems a lot more active. Anyway, I have something new up.

Also, I'd like a mentor, but I didn't see any slots open... so I guess I'll wait. But just telling any mentors interested in opening slots, I'm really going to try hard now because I want to start my comic and get at least a chapter or two done before January.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:25 am

Reserved, in case I ever need it.

LavenderMintRose

Cheery Sweetheart

Lucimorth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:50 am

my question is, are you going for a certain stylistic approach? or are you learning to draw anime or realistic?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:21 am

I want to draw more relaistically... I'm bad at it...

LavenderMintRose

Cheery Sweetheart

Lucimorth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:05 am

If you wish to draw more realisticaly, the best way to do it is to take photographs and copy them, trying to get the most detail. Then you can try drawing people form real life. As you go your mind will remember details and such, so that when you draw without refference it will look more realistic.

For example, in your original character, the neck is a bit too long, and some body parts don't have the correct anatomic structure. The shading is not bad though! And the main proportions look ok, I mean the size of the head and the body, for example.

You could try drawing from refference and see how it goes, and then post the drawing and refference here
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:39 pm

Okay, I'll try that.

LavenderMintRose

Cheery Sweetheart

LavenderMintRose

Cheery Sweetheart

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:15 pm

Original Character (New piece)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:56 am

Your anatomy is actually pretty good. There are just a few things that you should brush up on. For example, on your latest piece, while the arms are not too disproportionate, they stand out because they are slightly different lengths and widths. Also, her eyes don't seem to be level, and her skull is just a tad too small. However, you are doing really well! I would suggest, as SimKing suggested, looking at some reference pictures, using one of those wooden models, or, if you can afford it, getting a good art book, especially since you are going for realism.

Arachnist

LavenderMintRose

Cheery Sweetheart

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:30 am

This is where I get confused. I've heard from so many people not to use art books, to use medical books (like Gray's Anatomy)... I don't know what to do... And I've also heard that you should start by copying a photo in every piece you do and then change the copy of the photo, and I've heard from other people that that's illegal and that you can only copy, for example, a face, or a hand from each photo, and then you have to put those together or improvise. All these different people say all this different stuff and I don't know what to do...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:01 am

Well, I think if you want to study anatomy, then go ahead and get a medical book, but a medical book won't help you with things like composition, color theory, lights and shadows, etc. If you really want to, you can always get both for the best of both worlds.

If you feel you are still a beginner and you want to improve even more, go ahead and use photos as references. I don't think you need to make one copy then change it though...Just using it as a reference for your piece, or even eyeballing it and copying it exactly (But only to practice!) will help you.

As for the legality of it, if you copy a photo completely, it is legal as long as it is ONLY for practice and if you do not claim it as your own work. Using bits and pieces as references is okay, but you go into dangerous waters if you copy a photo so much that your drawing is easily identified as a copy of the photo. Also, if you copy a photo, it isn't wise to use the piece as part of your portfolio, unless you just used it as a reference for the anatomy or something.

If you need clarification, ask me. >o> I'm not sure if my wording is very good...

Arachnist

LavenderMintRose

Cheery Sweetheart

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:12 pm

No, your wording is fine. I understood. I wouldn't go around saying a piece that was copied from a photo was original. If I were to submit it to dA, I'd put it in scraps.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:55 pm

New Picture - Guy in the Rain

Also, I've heard that photos flatten the picture and you should only draw from real life... I might try going somewhere and drawing people, but I'm kind of nervous about getting caught...

LavenderMintRose

Cheery Sweetheart

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:06 pm

I go to school online. I ONLY have photos of live models to use. I think the people that tell you that aren't speaking from experience but regurgitating something they heard in an attempt to sound like they know what they're talking about.

Not everyone will have a live model in front of them to use and live models don't exactly like to stay still long enough for someone who is just starting to learn to really study as long as they may need. It's best to use both. I've had a live model before. I use nearly only photos of live models now.

Anyway, I would check out some magazines or look around online (you may have an easier time with the mags since that tip of the head is common in men's fashion photography) and get a feel for what the jaw and skull do.

The best advice I can give right now is to start from the inside out. Look at skeletons. Look at how a skull is shaped. I think part of your problem is you're drawing from memory, but you haven't committed human form to memory yet. (I wish I could give you some pictures to look at, but I'm at the office.)

Really, it's best to try out sources and see what works best for you, rather than blindly listening to whatever people tell you. The greater part of art is experimentation.

In your image, his head looks like a water balloon. The rest isn't that bad, but the neck and head definitely need some structure. Think of the skull as a ball and the neck comes from that. The lower jaw is connected to the bottom of the ball, and falls in front of the spine. Your spine goes all the way up to the base of your skull. Feel back there and check it out.

You can use yourself as reference sometimes. Look in a mirror. Feel around your body in the areas you're trying to draw to get a feel of the shape.

You're doing good so far. Keep at it. biggrin
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:50 pm

Wow, thanks for the critique, that was really helpful. I'll keep that in mind and try to find some references for the next picture I do.

LavenderMintRose

Cheery Sweetheart

LavenderMintRose

Cheery Sweetheart

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:27 pm

Eh... This was just done to try out some new markers I bought... I haven't been able to get any ideas for serious projects recently.

Edit: Okay, I have serious problems here. I read throught most of the tutorials in the sticky on in the main forum here, and I DID NOT UNDERSTAND ANY OF IT! I think I'm seriously hopeless. I'm dumber than a beginner, since I think some of those were made for beginners. Stuff they said should come naturally doesn't come at all. I can't see correctly. I have no imagination either. It's a good thing I'm not still thinking of applying to art school, or majoring in art, because if I tried to do that none of them would accept me and I'd just not go to college and live on the street and never get a job.
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff